AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY NINE HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2008-03-14 17:41:07

Sweetchicks
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hutterite Butcher

Jenner does butchering.
The gentlemans name is Willy @ 403-898-3908 ext 164.
They charge $4-5 per bird...so I said I would tell my friends $4 he said ok.
I was thinking around 25 birds for me he said no problem - told him I had no idea how many my friends have.
He is calling me back with dates for July. He also has May.
If I buy 25 that's $100 to process. Seems hi to me after chicks, feed, equipment, travel, road trip snacks.
Maybe I will next year? oh and he wanted to know how much Prarie View was charging..I will call them too.
Is this a good deal?

Never Say Never!

#2 2008-03-14 19:34:41

Ravenwoodmama
Growing Member
Website

Re: Hutterite Butcher

Whoa, that seems high to me too. Yeah, after you factor in your expenses not to mention your time and labour, that isn't a hugely profitable venture.

Maybe rather than raising chicks we should all go into the butchering business. LMAO $5/bird would be pretty lucrative!:woohoo:

Tam of Ravenwood Ranch
Wife to: 1 hardworking man, Mom of: 4 little boys
Keeper of: Jersey, Ayrshire and Beefbooster cows, Berkshire Pigs, Sport Horses, Standard Rex Rabbits, chickens, ducks and geese.
www.ravewoodranch.com and www.ravenwoodsporthorses.com

#3 2008-03-14 20:13:15

Sweetchicks
I Love A.C.E.
Website

:veryfunny:

Never Say Never!

#4 2008-04-09 16:38:34

NequilaJH
Growing Member
Website

Last year I ordered 25 Cornish Giants and 100 Cornish Cross chicks.  (They are supposed to get to the same size as the Cornish Giants, just take another few weeks to get there.)  Well, we processed the Giants at 10 weeks and got a little better than store size carcases.  We did the Cornish cross roosters (about 50) at 20 weeks and most of them were of decent size.  The 50 or so hens were still very small, so we left them.  I continued to feed them for another 20 weeks!  They were getting to laying age already!  Not going to grow much more.  It was late in the season, getting quite cold outside, so we decided to send them to the hutterite colony for processing.  We hauled them there in a 2 horse trailer, left them over night, they were processed the following day.  They called us to come and pick them up.  They are a gov. inspected colony.  We loaded the cleaned and bagged chickens and when the price came out I almost dropped.  They charged us $8.00 per chicken to process!!  Not only did I feed these chickens for 40 weeks and pay $8 to have each one processed, they were very small carcases.  So I have a freezer of small chickens that cost me about $17 each to get them there! 
  Major learning curve!  I will never buy the Cornish cross again.  Cornish Giant Hens only it will be.  The roosters have heart attacks.  And we will be doing all the processing ourselves!

Home of Canadas National Horse, The Canadian Horse.

#5 2008-04-09 17:10:14

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

wow big lesson learned, geez and here I have 87 cornish cross, grrrr.
Will have to see what the outcome is.
Have a lady lined up that butchers for $2.00 a chicken.

#6 2008-04-10 16:24:19

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

NequilaJH wrote:

Last year I ordered 25 Cornish Giants and 100 Cornish Cross chicks.  (They are supposed to get to the same size as the Cornish Giants, just take another few weeks to get there.)  Well, we processed the Giants at 10 weeks and got a little better than store size carcases.  We did the Cornish cross roosters (about 50) at 20 weeks and most of them were of decent size.  The 50 or so hens were still very small, so we left them.  I continued to feed them for another 20 weeks!  They were getting to laying age already!  Not going to grow much more.  It was late in the season, getting quite cold outside, so we decided to send them to the hutterite colony for processing.  We hauled them there in a 2 horse trailer, left them over night, they were processed the following day.  They called us to come and pick them up.  They are a gov. inspected colony.  We loaded the cleaned and bagged chickens and when the price came out I almost dropped.  They charged us $8.00 per chicken to process!!  Not only did I feed these chickens for 40 weeks and pay $8 to have each one processed, they were very small carcases.  So I have a freezer of small chickens that cost me about $17 each to get them there! 
  Major learning curve!  I will never buy the Cornish cross again.  Cornish Giant Hens only it will be.  The roosters have heart attacks.  And we will be doing all the processing ourselves!

Hi, that really sucks, so I don't have the same problems, what did you feed all that time?
I have to buy some more feed now so will go with the broiler finisher like Hidden say, mine are just about a month old and I was hoping to have them butchered and out of here by the end of June.
After all is said and done, did they taste any good????? :letseat:

#7 2008-04-13 22:10:47

NequilaJH
Growing Member
Website

I fed them 20% chick starter for 2 months (June & July), then 16% grower for the next 3 months (August, September & October). 
:oops: I see now that it was only 5 months (20 weeks) total that I had to feed, but still it was quite alot more than the max 12 weeks that they quoted.  I'll have to look into finisher.  My feed shop does not carry such a thing.  What % is it?

Last edited by NequilaJH (2008-04-13 22:35:23)

#8 2008-04-13 22:13:55

NequilaJH
Growing Member
Website

Sorry, forgot to finish the conversation.  Yes they are very good.  Anyone we have had over for chicken dinner has commented on the flavor. 
I'm wondering if having them all vaccinated had anything to do with the slow growth.

#9 2008-04-14 01:51:18

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Well I had mine vaccinated for cocci, and then bought medicated feed, which I was told not to feed, only stuff I could find at the time. So now I have the non medicated and well it is all confusing to me. They are going to get this feed and then I will gradually add some of the finisher and well that will be it. T&S farm suppy and feed has the finisher in Rimbey.
I am just looking forward to some farm raised chicken that tastes like chicken.

#10 2008-04-14 02:29:06

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Just ran out to the barn to lock everyone up for the night, and what I bought from T&S is 16% grower!!

#11 2008-04-14 15:08:15

NequilaJH
Growing Member
Website

That's is where I was getting my feed last year as well.  You must be fairly close to me if we are going to the same feed store!!  I'm 10 minutes west of town.  We'll have to meet some day.
  I went thru alot of bags of feed last year.  I have a neighbor that said she used to get the big tote bags of feed right from the plant, in Lacombe I believe.  Was quite a bit cheaper.  I will definately be looking into that.  You just have to have somewhere dry and rodent free to keep that much feed.  We have a small hopper that will hold a tote and a half.  Need two though.  One for starter and one for grower/finisher.
  Hidden River, where do you get the broiler finisher??

#12 2008-04-14 15:40:09

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Love that feed store.
That would sure make sense to get a couple of those big feed bags, hubby just offered me a metal mouse proof bin with doors that open in the front, yippppeee.
I live east of Gull Lake, right on the Ponoka Lacombe county lines. That would be nice to meet some day and talk chicken!!!

#13 2008-04-17 15:30:09

NequilaJH
Growing Member
Website

If the protien in the grower and finisher are the same, what is the difference in the mix that makes the food so much differnt.  If I am going to order from the mill can you give me an idea of what I should be ordering please.  I'm still quite new to this chicken stuff.:confused:
  I would like to have some meat birds again this year, but only if I will be able to have them finish at a decent age.:letseat:

#14 2008-06-03 19:59:32

ooptec
Banned
Website

Hey,

Anyone have the specs for the temp. of the scalding bath???

I am going to do my own as have a couple of buddy's that will help to take home a couple of birds each.

We all have done a few mountains of wild ducks over the years but those we rolled in melted paraffin not scalded.

cheers

#15 2008-06-03 20:43:58

Sweetchicks
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Check out this helpful butchering site...I really  enjoyed it...learned a lot.
http://butcherachicken.blogspot.com/200 … ssays.html

Never Say Never!

Board footer