AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-05-06 04:42:05

Blue Hill Farm
A.C.E. Addicted

Pain meds for injured chickens???

Is there anything I can safely give a hurt chicken for pain?

:confused:

~ LF Ameraucana Chickens

#2 2010-05-06 04:59:42

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Pain meds for injured chickens???

Sorry your bird needs help.  Hope it's OK.

Here's a thread where I gave advil to my bird....here's the relevant stuff.  I think they can have tylenol too but no idea on dose.

"I was looking into pain control or anesthesia and someone on a online chicken forum had mentioned aspirin as being OK, no real dosage.  Well I found some studies that say they are trying ibuprofen on broiler birds for coccidiosis control, so I guess it is OK, and I gave the highest dose they mention in the study which was 100 mg per Kg Body weight (I assume they weren't planning on killing the birds during the course of the study).  I took an electric kitchen scale in a ziploc baggie and she very roughly 800 g, so she got the smaller half of a tiny 200mg ibuprofen. Thought if I can get her pain free the muscles might relax a bit and I could manipulate easier.  "

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … hp?id=4581

Probably warmth would be nice too, a heat lamp on low, if it won't make your bird too hot.

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#3 2010-05-06 05:07:44

Blue Hill Farm
A.C.E. Addicted

That entire thread was a huge help. I believe I have a hen with a broken or dislocated leg. Thanks for the fast response SLF!

~ LF Ameraucana Chickens

#4 2010-05-06 05:10:35

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I hope it helps you. I am really sorry your pets are all in such rough shape. :aww:

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

#5 2010-05-06 12:31:58

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I've used 1 low dose aspirin (81 m) crushed with a spoon and shaken in about a litre of water.  Administered by dropper, up to 5 ml at a time.  I think the hen could have had more, but since she was eggbound I didn't want to push my luck in case the shell broke inside, cut her and cause more bleeding.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#6 2010-05-07 04:37:08

Blue Hill Farm
A.C.E. Addicted

Thank you Lynne. We have childrens Advil (80m) so I used that to your ratio of water. It seems to be working well.

~ LF Ameraucana Chickens

#7 2010-05-08 16:01:21

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Keep us posted, I'm glad the bird is getting some relief...:cheer:

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#8 2010-06-04 03:48:00

Susan

My 2 hens who were just attacked by dogs are recovering in the small animal clinic - they are using Meloxicam for pain relief - it is an NSAID and available from vets. Good luck

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

#9 2010-06-10 18:27:39

Susan

In addition to Meloxicam, they also required Butorphenol, and opiod pain med as Baby Brahma's wound was so deep and large by the time the tissue necrosed, that a bit of bone was exposed. As gruesome as that sounds, I would never have kept them alive if they were suffering too badly - they were quite happy during their stay at the college for the 5 days they were there. Now they are home and wondering where the royal treatment went. They still aren't eating great though - any irresistable treat ideas? Need to put weight back on them - they lost a ton!:letseat:

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

#10 2010-06-10 21:42:38

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I'm sorry to hear your birds were so injured.  thanks for posting the medication names, you didn't happen to know the dose did you?  it might help someone down the road.  Sounds like your chooks were sky high and dreamign for a few days!  I hope they are better soon!

#11 2010-06-11 03:52:42

Susan

I do have the dosages: Meloxicam: 2mg/kg orally once every 24 hrs - be careful - toxic to kidneys and liver! Fenbendazole for parasites (roundworms and whipworms) 3mg/kg orally for 3 days. My girls also required PenG IM (Longisil) at 200ml/kg every 48 hrs for 10 days. (very nasty dog bite wounds). The butorphenol can only be administered by the the vet. Hope that helps.

#12 2010-06-12 14:44:26

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thanks!  I hope they are recovering. :thumbsup:

#13 2011-05-25 17:11:45

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Great.  There is lots of good information on here mostly in hospital some in bad things do happen.  But if you search the whole site for the basic description of what you are seeing in the titles and posts or posts category you will get better matches.  Just takes time to go through.  We can learn from you too if you let us know what you do and how you make out.  Just sorry your birds are in this shape.  It's rough.

#14 2014-10-15 22:26:23

countrychicken

Just curious ..... What did that cost?

Fpr bumblrfoot home surgery used Metacam dosage as on box as had some left over from the doggies injuries

Worked well

#15 2014-10-16 01:13:30

Susan

Don't ask :)

Board footer