AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-06-14 23:33:05

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

Chicken Tractors

ok, my dad said that if I can get enough pics and design information we can build one. I am looking into this design in the pics below. Tips, suggestions, things to keep in mind, ANYTHING!!
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chicken%20Tractors/Picture0901.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chicken%20Tractors/Picture0891.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chicken%20Tractors/Picture1291.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/ChickensAllTheWay/Chicken%20Tractors/Picture0941.jpg

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#2 2010-06-15 00:26:23

Big Momma Duck!

Re: Chicken Tractors

I need to build one or tow of these myself! the one thing id suggest is making a mini door in the back for easy access for collecting eggs! good luck! =)

Loving Mother to two boys, a wonderful Husband,three dogs,three cats,tortoise,fish,ducks,silkies,easter egger,sussex,Polish,muttchickens! and soon Cochins,Brahmas,salmon faverolles,Spangled Russian Orloff,hamburgs,Danish Brown Leghorn,Wyandotte,sultan,Pilgrim Geese!

#3 2010-06-15 01:32:12

cassiadawn
A.C.E. Addicted

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/cassiadawn/critters/chickens/coop.jpg

Personally, I don't think I'm ever building an "a-frame" type tractor again. It's hard to get as much usable space out of them because of the narrowing the further up you go. You just about have to put the perch right down the center if you have more than a couple of birds. And you have to fight with angles for everything you add. Even hanging the waterer inside was annoying!

If I were to make a tractor with a coop on it again, I think I'd build it square with a pointed roof (or possibly a single slope roof)

#4 2010-06-15 01:37:52

Blob Chicken
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Nice setups everyone !!

I have concidered tractors ,but it wouldnt work with pigeons.

Information's pretty thin stuff unless mixed with experience.

#5 2010-06-15 01:39:21

Big Momma Duck!

gettin fancy now! lol i guess bigger dosnt matter if you have a quad or somthing to pull it either. I like the coop part off the ground aswell. Love the deer in the pic pvg! :)

Loving Mother to two boys, a wonderful Husband,three dogs,three cats,tortoise,fish,ducks,silkies,easter egger,sussex,Polish,muttchickens! and soon Cochins,Brahmas,salmon faverolles,Spangled Russian Orloff,hamburgs,Danish Brown Leghorn,Wyandotte,sultan,Pilgrim Geese!

#6 2010-06-15 02:49:08

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

pvg, I think that is a bit small for what I would be using it for... I would like a fit more then a pair or trio of bantams in it. Is there a way to make the same design, only bigger?

cassiadawn, I love that design. Can you post the blueprints or plans for this particluar design. Also, how many adult birds does it hold?

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#7 2010-06-15 03:42:48

Dom
I Love A.C.E.

cassiadawn wrote:

Personally, I don't think I'm ever building an "a-frame" type tractor again. It's hard to get as much usable space out of them because of the narrowing the further up you go. You just about have to put the perch right down the center if you have more than a couple of birds. And you have to fight with angles for everything you add. Even hanging the waterer inside was annoying!

If I were to make a tractor with a coop on it again, I think I'd build it square with a pointed roof (or possibly a single slope roof)

I was kind of wondering that myself.  Is there really any advantage to the A-frame structure? I mean, why do you need it so tall and pointy? Room to stretch their wings yes, but couldn't you just make a lot bigger, flat topping building? I am thinking about tractors, but I really don't know which kind I should make.

#8 2010-06-15 04:45:29

klorinth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I have two issues with these:

1) mounting wheels is a pain.

2) getting the chickens out is a real pain... :verballymad:

Other then that I like the simplicity of the A frame. They are not fancy, but they work. Good enough for my #$@%&*$ Rooster.

Norrbottenspets, Akbash, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Chantecler, White Chantecler, Partridge Chantecler, Ameraucana, Beltsville Small White Turkey, Shetland and Texel Sheep.

"If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying." Shantideva

#9 2010-06-15 07:22:51

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Ev Gilmar on Vancouver Island told me that she uses tents instead of wood built tractors.   I laughed at the thought, but yesterday I was in a store that was selling 14' x 14' tents (7' tall!) for $110, and it really made me think about it.  You could provide safety from predators with electric poultry fence, and you could provide shelter and roosting space for 50 to 100 birds in a tent that size.   If you removed the canvas floor and moved it once a week it would work like a tractor, no?  It sure fits the budget!  Has anyone tried tents?

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

#10 2010-06-15 13:51:40

Brandi
A.C.E. Addicted

CBB, considering that your dog is in the habit of attacking your birds, I would definitely not use chicken wire. It's just not strong enough. When my dog was only 8 months old, one night he pushed his way through the chicken wire of the run and it easily broke. He wasn't trying to get the birds because the next morning they were all loose in the yard with him unharmed, but I think he did it just because it was there and he was bored and tied up next to it. So if a puppy can get in that easily, just imagine what a dog on a mission to kill would do. You should find something strong enough to withstand an attack.

A strange stillness dwells in the eye of the horse, a composure that appears to regard the world from a measured distance...It is a gaze from the depths of a dream...
                                                                   -Hans Heinrich Isenbart

#11 2010-06-15 14:06:53

Blob Chicken
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Brandi wrote:

CBB, considering that your dog is in the habit of attacking your birds, I would definitely not use chicken wire. It's just not strong enough. When my dog was only 8 months old, one night he pushed his way through the chicken wire of the run and it easily broke. He wasn't trying to get the birds because the next morning they were all loose in the yard with him unharmed, but I think he did it just because it was there and he was bored and tied up next to it. So if a puppy can get in that easily, just imagine what a dog on a mission to kill would do. You should find something strong enough to withstand an attack.

Ya. I would use hardwear cloth. Perhaps an 1"x1" spacing.

Information's pretty thin stuff unless mixed with experience.

#12 2010-06-15 14:11:11

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

yes, I have some of that left over. Should the wood be treated?

#13 2010-06-15 14:35:17

Brandi
A.C.E. Addicted

Anything outdoors in the elements should be made with treated wood, in my opinion. It will last a lot longer and is worth the extra cost.

A strange stillness dwells in the eye of the horse, a composure that appears to regard the world from a measured distance...It is a gaze from the depths of a dream...
                                                                   -Hans Heinrich Isenbart

#14 2010-06-15 17:30:03

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

Brandi wrote:

Anything outdoors in the elements should be made with treated wood, in my opinion. It will last a lot longer and is worth the extra cost.

:iagree: I will have to convince my dad on that one :P

#15 2010-06-17 05:08:13

PureCountry
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Just a thought, we're going to try using our old stock trailer - it's big though. We plan to move the birds once a week, maybe even 2 weeks? So having a large unit for roosting would work better I think. We can make temporary runs with electric netting out in any direction, and move it several times around the trailer before having to actually move the trailer itself with the truck.

Think outside the box, there's nothing blocking the view that way.:thumbsup:

100% Grass Finished Beef, Free Range Pork, Black, Red & Dun Galloway breeding stock, and Large Black Hogs. Australorps, Buckeyes.

No Farmers, No Food, No Health
Know Farmers, Know Food, Know Health

Board footer