AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-07-18 00:23:38

chickencrazygirl
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

swollen leg on a rooster

So my son's rooster has a swollen leg , double the size where the spur comes out. He was just limping and it had cracked skin so put cream on it had him in the dog run and he stopped moving around. When it was raining I put him back with the other chickens that because he was holding up his leg made it bleed. So out he comes again. He is eatting fine and drinking ,just is there anything else I can do or give him to help his leg heal. Was thinking of putting his foot in cold water for 10 mins a few times a day.
He is a super sweet rooster and easy to work with so if he needs some work done on his leg I have been able to do it so far. Would hate to have to put him down he is only 2 and so pretty.
Was thinking of butte for horses as it has an antimflamatory in it just could not work out how much.

Last edited by chickencrazygirl (2010-07-19 03:57:04)

Rent my incubator for your home use, comes with 42 Chicken eggs, turner , candling light, development chick book $50 for the mth.  Sherwood Park, Edmonton area Alberta Sliver spangled spitz habons, silver lakenvelders, golden lakenvelders, speckled sussex, buff orpintons, americana crosses. Incubator comes with the Americana cross chicken eggs. Book now
Day old chicks for sale come March 2012

#2 2010-07-18 03:39:11

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Re: swollen leg on a rooster

Just asking but why would you be thinking of putting his food in cold water for 10 mins a few times a day? :hide:

Keep your roo by himself and keep a watch on him and the leg. So long as he is eating and drinking okay, he likely will recover if given lots of time. If he has an open wound that's bleeding I would suggest putting an antibotic cream on it. If he is kept in a clean enviroment like a hospital crate, then the bleeding should cease on its own.

I have a hen who just recovered from a leg injury. Found her limping and holding her leg up. She wasn't gripping with her toes, no reflex. I put her in a hosptial crate. It was nearly two weeks before I saw her injured leg twitch and nearly a month before I notice she was putting her leg down while standing up. All in all it took about two months before she could walk on it with a limp. Nowdays she is able to walk with just s slight limp.

Coming November 22 & 23, the Canadian Heritage Breeds Club presents the 2014 APA Canadian National Poultry and Waterfowl Show in Red Deer, Alberta.

#3 2010-07-18 03:45:58

hennyjenny
A.C.E. Addicted

I would definitley find a way to get it flushed with water, at least twice a day.  I like your idea to make your roo stand in cold water while he eats.  If you can't do this I wonder if you could set him in your sink.

#4 2010-07-18 11:36:12

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Has this gone on long enough that your roo needs serious antibiotics in his water? If so, Super Booster is an option for the vitamins and antibiotic.  Might be worth a consult with a vet if this is an animal valuable to your breeding program.  If you soak, use epsom salts to bring down the swelling and keep the water clean, and re-apply the antibiotic cream after patting the area dry.  Sounds like he is very cooperative!

I would not use bute, but you could give aspirin by dropper using the sipping reflex.  Recipe is 1 low-dose aspirin to 1 liter shaken and kept in a bottle in a convenient spot.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#5 2010-07-18 12:05:29

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Would he have cut himself on his other leg spur?  Could he be reinjuring it himself too?

I'd put him separate, clean it put polysporin on it too, give him some superbooster (antiobiotic and mineral powder form the feed store), if his spurs are sharp at the tip try an emery board to file the end to it won't cut.  Give him some higher protein foods and treats, lots of greens, cabbage kale etc (Vit K) etc may help with his clotting (not sure hwio quickly) and some mashed up boiled eggs or scrambled eggs to try and help heal.

Hope your guy shows improvement soon, he sounds like a pet!

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#6 2010-07-19 04:03:29

chickencrazygirl
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Thanks all for your help. Ment to say foot in cold water not food :rofl: bleeding stopped in just being away from the other chickens. will pick up some meds from the store tomorrow , as well as start the cold water therapy.

Fingers crossed his foot heals and he will be back breeding the girls soon. :hide:

Rent my incubator for your home use, comes with 42 Chicken eggs, turner , candling light, development chick book $50 for the mth.  Sherwood Park, Edmonton area Alberta Sliver spangled spitz habons, silver lakenvelders, golden lakenvelders, speckled sussex, buff orpintons, americana crosses. Incubator comes with the Americana cross chicken eggs. Book now

#7 2010-07-19 04:45:55

DoubleSSRanch
I Love A.C.E.
Website

chickencrazygirl wrote:

Thanks all for your help. Ment to say foot in cold water not food :rofl: bleeding stopped in just being away from the other chickens. will pick up some meds from the store tomorrow , as well as start the cold water therapy.

Fingers crossed his foot heals and he will be back breeding the girls soon. :hide:

I thought you were turning OFF the incubator! :rofl:

#8 2010-07-19 11:24:06

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

If you are going to foot his foot in water, I'd add some salt too, helps things heal faster.  Glad it's stopped bleeding.

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#9 2010-07-19 13:38:12

chickencrazygirl
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

DoubleSSRanch wrote:

chickencrazygirl wrote:

I thought you were turning OFF the incubator! :rofl:

Yes the incubator will be going off very soon Shelby , but as for Skinner the rooster ( named by my son LOL) he just wants to have a little fun :confused: right. After all they don't stop breeding ,just because i don't need fertile eggs :rofl:

Skinner is such a sweetie just moved him in to a new shelter yesterday and he met my horse Spunky throw the fence ,Spunky and Skinner are now friends :rofl: Spunky touched nose with Skinners beak ahh...........

Board footer