AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

#1 2010-08-09 02:17:08

hunnydoranch
Growing Member
Website

What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

Just curious what you have in your 1st aid kit?

#2 2010-08-09 05:01:52

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

You can get Tylan at G and E Pharmacy in Edmonton w/o a scrip.

I have Polysporin eyedrops and ointment, Oxy-Tetra-A, Super Booster and Oxine bit need to buy Epinex.

Sue

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#3 2010-08-09 06:58:06

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Polysprin, never used it.
Stop Pick, utterly useless, but have a jar anyway.
Honey, way better than Polysporin.
Eprinex. Totally worth it.
Extra No Pest strip.
Piperazine.
Custom made homeopathic cocktail in a Crown Royal suspension. I use some on a sick chicken then take a belt myself.
Axe, for the hopeless cases.

#4 2010-08-09 13:52:52

heathersherptiles
Growing Member
Website

I also have a styptic pencil to stop small cuts from bleeding. Or the rare broken nail.

#5 2010-08-09 13:53:49

Susan

Honey! That sounds interesting. Makes sense with all of its antibacterial properties! What have you used for?

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#6 2010-08-09 15:37:24

city chick
A.C.E. Addicted

What is the Super Booster and where can you buy it?  Also do you have to get Eprinex from a Vet?  Vets round here won't sell stuff unless the "examine" your animal first ie charge you $85.00.  And no one sees chickens.

city farming with 1 buff brahma, 1 amercauna, 1 leggern, 1 penedesenca, 1 bantam cochin, 3 silkies, 2 barred rocks, 2 wyandottes, 3 sweet adorable S/G dorkings, 2 Black Australorps, 2 quail, 2 German Shepherds, 1 long haired cat and a very tolerant hubby.

#7 2010-08-09 19:58:58

city chick
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Hidden River.  I will go to our local UFA store and get some.

city farming with 1 buff brahma, 1 amercauna, 1 leggern, 1 penedesenca, 1 bantam cochin, 3 silkies, 2 barred rocks, 2 wyandottes, 3 sweet adorable S/G dorkings, 2 Black Australorps, 2 quail, 2 German Shepherds, 1 long haired cat and a very tolerant hubby.

#8 2010-08-10 03:47:22

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I use honey on open wounds. Used it on a chicken I did crop surgery on. ANd about styptic pencils, one really ought to dab one on a shaving nick before  ever using it on an unsuspecting animal that cannot scream! THose things are BRUTAL!

#9 2010-08-10 03:52:32

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Isn't cornstarch supposed to work for that stypticating  (without the screaming)?

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#10 2010-11-13 23:05:27

Herbwalker
Growing Member
Website

Haven't tried it on a chicken, but we use cayenne pepper on small cuts to stop the bleeding and deaden the pain (and yes I've used it on myself, and so have my kids). Yes it really does stop the pain - I know it sounds weird. I've used it on my dog when she cut her foot on the ice, and when we clipped a nail too close.

Honey is great on burns (after washing and cooling the injury first), and on other open sores. My husband recently put some on a small burn he had (after listening to me go on about its benefits) and said that it stopped the pain immediately.

Buckeyes and Americaunas. Hopefully bees again in a year or so.

#11 2010-11-13 23:15:12

Sushi
A.C.E. Addicted

Hidden River wrote:

Neo Cholr is from UFA, Tylan is a vet prescription drug, so you would have to talk to a vet you know and get some. The germe zone I picked up on line but I have seen it in Co-op as well after I ordered it. Basically it is an all purpose liquid that helps to stop transmission of disease in the water, not a drug, not sure really what it is? But claims to work. Also works as a wound dressing on picked hens. But stains reddish brown so watch your fingers when using it. And clothes as well.

From your discription I would wager the main ingredient is probably Iodine.

#12 2010-11-14 00:47:46

YYC Chicken Girl
A.C.E. Addicted

city chick wrote:

What is the Super Booster and where can you buy it?  Also do you have to get Eprinex from a Vet?  Vets round here won't sell stuff unless the "examine" your animal first ie charge you $85.00.  And no one sees chickens.

Due South Animal Hospital in McKenzie Lake, Calgary will see chickens.  They used to own a chicken farm in South Africa and are both outstanding vets (even if they couldn't save Teriyaki's life, they made a darn good effort.)

Wag more, bark less.

Check out Cranston Urban Farm on Facebook

#13 2010-11-14 00:54:37

lou
A.C.E. Addicted

I have most of what Hidden River has but I also use honey as an antibiotic and tylenol for it anti inflammatory and the reduction of pain properties. Lou

Free to be Me

#14 2010-11-14 14:31:59

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Equipment and Emergency List

medium-sized wire dog crate for isolation/treatment

eyedropper
various feeders and grit/oyster shell dispensers

electrolytes, electrolytes with/without antibiotics

several bales of wood shavings

food-grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE), Stable Boy for ammonia

anti-pick lotion
Dri-Kill powder (rotenone and sulfur) haven't used but I keep it for emergency

Super Booster powder

Wound powder, available at tack shops

neosporin
saline
antibiotic eye drops
various bandages
syringes
alcohol wipes
protective gloves
vicks
bag balm
vaseline
Preparation H
Blue-Kote

Pure aspirin  use one low dose aspiron (81 mg crushed in less than 1 quart water)

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#15 2010-11-14 15:41:34

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Good post that needs to be kept busy, smiling.  I have a very small first aid kit, but have stuff around, easily accessible.

Things I have are:

Colloidal silver water, use for every injury, kills bacteria, basically kills what the bacteria need to "breath"
Honey with propolis suspended it, for extra power, speeds healing, bacteria cannot grow in the low pH of honey
Eprinex (get it at the vets, cow country, so they don't even ask questions)
No pest strips
Tylan, got it at a Pharmasave that carries all kinds of livestock remedies
Piperazine
PoulVite, always give to new chicks for 4 days
Bandaids (for me, smiling)
Scissors
Qtips
Eye dropper and vial
Knife
Stop pick, which really doesn't work (had a chick once who had its bummed picked, put it on and the chicks picked it even more, had to separate her)
Preparation H (in case I ever come across a prolapsed bird, hope not)
A cage in case of separation needed immediately
Bottled water

Think that's all I have really handy, beautiful days, love, peace and healthy wishes, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

Board footer