AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Rare Poultry
  •  » Euskal Oiloas EO's EU's Basques - Sharing info and any Eggs available?

#1 2010-12-30 16:35:43

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Euskal Oiloas EO's EU's Basques - Sharing info and any Eggs available?

Quite a few people have been asking about these and Black Horse Ranches thread from way back has lots of good info.  I was even emailed by a person in Tennessee about eggs from these beauties.  I am having horrible netbook problems and have zero access to emails or bookmarks or Photobucket....argh just the last 1-2 days emails and don't have time to translate anything.

Here's the thread that started it!

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … hp?id=1448

Most of the online info is in Spanish.  When I google, I find a lot of my own birds there in the images and threads etc :hide:

I thought maybe as some people weren't aware this is a real breed (not being in the Hendersons guide or the Storeys book), it would be great to share all our EO info here.

I have searched some threads with pictures etc, if anyone is willing to ship eggs etc, post here too.  I know Barney in Manitoba was planning on breeding them after getting eggs from us last year.  I have had a lots of requests and people willing to raise chicks from our eggs and I am thrilled, but things are so unsettled here, I don't want to promise any more until I am certain I can share them. 

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … hp?id=5127

Edited to add this link An Article I wrote  "What are Euskal Oiloas or Basque Hens and Why would anyone want these Chickens?"

http://www.squidoo.com/euskal-oiloas-or … cken-breed

So this is where I got them originally (no longer avaialable) and I guess at this point any Canadian stock would have been form here originally in Gorria (Red) or Maradunna (Brown stripe) colours

http://www.geocities.ws/erisso01/euskaloiloa.htm

Here they are on Feathersite under Basque
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/ … asque.html

More Spanish pages

http://bilbaoglocal.org/oilotegi/

http://www.ibarrolabekoa.net/produktuak.php?lang=eng  great pics never seen so many in one place

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm (2011-04-27 00:01:25)

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#2 2010-12-30 16:43:58

gubi
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Euskal Oiloas EO's EU's Basques - Sharing info and any Eggs available?

here's another one with the breed standard in spanish.
http://www.eoalak.com/estandar.htm

Herd of Brown Swiss, grey call ducks, ameraucanas(EE), Welsumer, silver spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, red cuckoo basque hens, blue silkies, porcelain booted bantams and a few more heritage hens

#3 2010-12-30 18:45:01

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Thank you Skeffling! I sent you an email the other day so no need to reply back to it. Great info. Appreciate it!

#4 2010-12-31 00:09:20

Susan

I should have some!

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#5 2010-12-31 03:45:19

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Hi Susan,

I sent you an email. :woohoo:

Last edited by DawnM (2010-12-31 03:45:40)

#6 2010-12-31 13:49:13

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thanks for posting that Stefan, I knew I had seen it somewhere.  That great Dawn and Susan.  When I first tried them I'd never heard of them and Eric Rivard was offering them for the first time ever in Canada in 2008, so we got a  handful of chicks.  I love them they are first in line to peck the snow off your boots or nail polish off your toes....

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

#7 2010-12-31 19:28:37

gubi
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

They are also great at catching mice.  Does Eric Rivard still have them?

Herd of Brown Swiss, grey call ducks, ameraucanas(EE), Welsumer, silver spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, red cuckoo basque hens, blue silkies, porcelain booted bantams and a few more heritage hens

#8 2010-12-31 19:33:25

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I don't know, I suggested the fellow from Tn try to contact him as he really wanted the Gorrias and I don't know of anyone with them.  If he doesn't have them he may have sold chicks to someone locally, or could give info on importing eggs.  I think if I was to ever import eggs from Europe it'd be for this breed. :layer:

#9 2011-01-01 21:17:21

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Well.....I received a kind email from Eric Rivard of Genetic Preservation from the Eastern Townships. He is no longer breeding Euskal-Oilas. In trying to be helpful, he sent me a contact email on Vancouver Island, in BC here, stating this in his email to me:

"This fellow posted on a site offering Euskal but dont mention what color
Omega Blue Farms."

So I emailed Wayne in Qualicum Beach and heads up anyone looking for this breed not to contact Wayne from Omega Blue Farms.

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm (2011-01-02 06:29:47)

#10 2011-01-01 21:42:58

Susan

Oh dear, sorry DawnM. I am trying to get the time to sit down and write you a proper email. I only have 2 but they are lovely. Both Maredunna. I took pics yesterday to send you and you bet I will be raising more!  I will get you eggs/ chicks somehow!

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#11 2011-01-01 21:51:52

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Susan. Knowing at some point I could get some from you is enough for me. I don't need to look any further. I can wait as long as I have to. I really appreciate your willingness. Just put me on your list and I'll be in contact later this year just to see where you're at or you can contact me. If I have to wait till 2012 that's fine.

#12 2011-01-01 23:11:17

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thanks for posting that info Dawn.   If I can at all, I will send you both eggs, but I am so pleased you found another source Dawn.  I can`t wait to see pics Susan.  :layer:

It is also good to know Eric no longer has them, I won't send anyone else to him.  I saw on another site, he still has black pennies though...they may not want to sit on your knee but they are good birds in a completely different way!  :thumbsup:

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm (2011-01-02 06:30:43)

#13 2011-01-02 00:24:38

poplar girl
I Love A.C.E.

Any one know how many Barney in Manitoba has?

Or if Black Horse Ranch still has them?

Proud to volunteer as a Director for Canadian Heriage Breeds (CHB) and as President of the North American Basque Hen Association (NABHA). Norland Brae is also home to Ossabaw Island Hogs, registered Highland Cattle, and Ridley Bronze Turkeys.

#14 2011-01-02 00:37:04

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I think Barney hatched 11 chicks from 12 eggs.  I am sure he got lots of roos, but imagine he must have had at least 4 pullets.  I think he calls them 'Basque' more so you could try searching under that, or go through his posts, as he is not on that often there wouldn't be too many to look through.  No idea on Black horse.  I got pure eggs from him the past summer but unfortunately I never got any chicks.  I know he likes the breed a lot so you could try emailing as he isn't on that often either I don't think.

Just did a search, looks like Barney has at least 4. There are pics too
http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … 11&p=2

#15 2011-01-02 01:40:36

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Skeffling are you aware of the Euskal-Oiloas breed having any serious shortcomings eluded to?

Last edited by Skeffling Lavender Farm (2011-01-02 06:33:50)

• Index
  •  » Rare Poultry
  •  » Euskal Oiloas EO's EU's Basques - Sharing info and any Eggs available?

Board footer