AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2011-02-19 06:44:23

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Cold hardy bantam breeds

I would like to get some bantams this year. They would be going into a coop that does not have insulation but was constructed with double plywood to trap the dead air, therefore much better than single plywood. Our average temperature in the winter is -5 but can go to as low as -20 for a week or two or three over the winter.

Can anyone recommend some cold hardy bantams, if there is such a thing?

Thank you!

#2 2011-02-19 06:52:42

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Cold hardy bantam breeds

I just found some info stating that bantam cochins, d'uccles and ameraucanas are fairly cold hardy. Does that sound right? Any other breeds?

#3 2011-02-19 07:36:03

cbotkin
Growing Member

Hey Dawn,

Avoid breeds with large combs, like a lot of SCCL's, and thinly feathered breeds, like modern games.  If the birds are going to be exposed to the cold, look for something that is heavily feathered.

Just something to consider.

Clayton

#4 2011-02-19 15:51:46

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Clayton!

#5 2011-02-19 16:41:56

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I've found bantam cochins really hardy.  Of the first mixed selection of bantams from Rochester probably 5 or 6 years ago the only remaining birds are black and blue bantam cochins. Everything they crossed with is beautiful and cold hardy too! I like them so much I may have to get more, even though I am trying to limit myself to standards breeds now.

Blue Slate turkeys - Beltsville Small White Turkeys - Shetland sheep - Highland cattle
Chilcotin Special landrace pigs- White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#6 2011-02-19 16:44:58

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I find out Booted Bantams (similar to D'Uccles) to do well for cold.

Black Ameraucana

#7 2011-02-19 17:17:18

karona
A.C.E. Addicted

I have crossed bantam cochins with bantam ameraucana they are quite hardy and
we get -35 temp as it is this am.  When I have chickens with the large comb they
freeze even with heat lamp.  It seems to be very susceptable to freezing.
Breeds with the peacomb are better and cochins have the feathers on the legs to
help and I think they just have more feathers that other breeds.
This year I am going to bred a rooster from last year (who is a little larger than
bantam but not as big as my standard ameraucana) to all my girls.  This rooster
has feathered legs like I have never seen and he has a lot of color.  Can not
wait to see what hatches.

#8 2011-02-19 17:30:21

DawnM
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying this post. Bantams for me are the fun side of chicken keeping. I'm looking forward to getting some and also not having to worry, for the most part, about them come winter. They will be well taken care of other than not having an insulated coop. That will come next year and I can choose more breeds then.

Cheers!

#9 2011-02-19 20:41:51

An
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I have 2 Black Tailed Buff Japanese hens. They turn 4 next month :P
This is their first winter in a heated barn. Before they had an old garden shed where
they lived in. Not insulated at all :hide: We had heatlamps in it when it was really cold.
All the birds cuddled together underneath it, except the BTBJ, they sat in the top on the trusters,
close to the cold roof tin. Always happy and still laying an egg once in a while.

An

Blue Ameraucana, Bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle and bantam Black Tailed Buff Japanese,
Isa Brown and Barred Plymouth Rock.
May 10th. 2014; Critter 'N Crafts sale, Vulcan-Alberta
https://www.facebook.com/events/456569967801897/

#10 2011-02-19 21:40:32

allymeagan
I Love A.C.E.

All of my bantams are in an unheated coop, some insulated, some not.  I have ameraucana, d'anvers, silkies, cochins, oegb, and one little d'uccle.  I had brahmas, too, and they did well also.  The cochins and oegbs lose their combs though.

#11 2011-02-19 21:54:18

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Banned

I keep a variety of bantams in an uninsulated building. As long as they are protected from drafts, they all seem to be cold hardy. I have Silkies, D'Uccles, Sebrights, Hamburgs, OEG, Polish, & D'Anvers. Never had a frostbite problem with the single combs either. However I don't let them out during extreme cold or windy stormy weather.

~Breeder of the finest Chariot Racing Chickens in Ontario. 2003-2004-2008-2009 Championship Winner~

#12 2011-02-19 21:57:09

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

LCRT, do you put anything on the combs or waddles like Vaseline?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#13 2011-02-19 21:59:06

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

My silkies seem to do alright with the cold weather.  Watch their heads though.  When they drink, the water gets their crests wet and they can get ice on their heads.  Other then that, the cold doesn't seem to bother them.

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#14 2011-02-19 22:20:07

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Banned

Martin Grove Farm wrote:

LCRT, do you put anything on the combs or waddles like Vaseline?

Nope, nothing. And 30 birds in a 600 sq ft garage with a turbine roof vent, are definately not generating significant heat to stay warm. I have to change frozen waterers twice a day.

It is my firm belief that chooks are fine without added heat. For me, it's only the summertime time heatwaves that they seem to keel over.

~Breeder of the finest Chariot Racing Chickens in Ontario. 2003-2004-2008-2009 Championship Winner~

#15 2011-02-19 22:21:58

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Banned

silkiebantam wrote:

My silkies seem to do alright with the cold weather.  Watch their heads though.  When they drink, the water gets their crests wet and they can get ice on their heads.  Other then that, the cold doesn't seem to bother them.

All my waterers are at chest to mid neck level. If they are not having to bend over, they don't get their crest wet. Pretty simple huh?

Board footer