AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2009-03-21 23:24:00

GransChickens
A.C.E. Addicted

Scaley leg mites

Help! My Buff Orps seem to have been infested with scaley leg mites. Where they picked them up I have no idea - their barn has never been used for chickens. Or anything else for the last 5 years. So, what do I do now?

I have a tub of vaseline to rub on their legs, but what else do people use and where do I get it?   

Something new every week!!

Sandy

Home to Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex & Light Sussex, 2 Labradors, 4 cats and a very tolerant husband  http://granschickens.wordpress.com/

#2 2009-03-21 23:48:09

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Scaley leg mites

I'm pretty sure if you treat your birds with some wormer, you will get rid of them. Have also heard a fellow that rubbed the vasoline with some of that poultry powder for lice and that works. Check under either got tips or hospital for wormer posts.

#3 2009-03-22 01:47:04

GransChickens
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Chickee's Mom. I just got back from the vaseline job. Oh my, they were not happy.
So, now on to wormers.

I also just checked the 3 hopefully fertile eggs under my broody he. Tried to candle but could only make out a dark blob in about 1/3-1/2 of the egg. A hairline crack in one egg as well. I put them back underneath her and will hope for the best. Due date on Wednesday.

Sandy

Home to Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex & Light Sussex, 2 Labradors, 4 cats and a very tolerant husband  http://granschickens.wordpress.com/

#4 2009-03-22 14:23:27

hiddenmeadow
I Love A.C.E.

We use mineral oil, I paint it on in a upward motion so it gets under the scales, do it everyday, the problem should clear up very quick.

#5 2009-03-22 15:06:57

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

They probably have mites when the scales are lifted like that. You are not a bad chickees mom, happens to most birds. I have used the vasaline and then collected the eggs and there was a nice film of oil on them.
Really if you use the wormer it should get rid of them.

#6 2009-04-24 14:40:29

farmgirl
Growing Member

What worked the best for me was I dipped their legs in vegetable oil with a little tea tree oil mixed in. Cleared it up faster than the vaseline.

#7 2009-05-06 14:52:43

Old town chick
A.C.E. Addicted

My older hen, a Barred Rock, has the scaly leg mites, I think.  Chickee's Mom, you mention wormer.  Is it something to put in the water or do I have to give an injection?  Get from vet or feed store?  Thanks in advance.

#8 2009-05-06 14:59:03

Bumblebee
A.C.E. Addicted

A old chicken Lady told me she used Castor Oil and also rubbed a bit into the comb and around that area.
She also used diatamaceuos earth to dust her coop.

Australian Cattle Dogs, Canadian Horses, lots of chickens

#9 2009-05-06 15:08:55

Old town chick
A.C.E. Addicted

Ah, thanks,I remember a thread about the D. earth.  Will pick some up today.  I am in the process of cleaning the coop but cannot get all the stuff shovelled out in one evening. (work full time)  I will disenfect and put in the DE.

#10 2009-05-06 20:32:15

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I treated scaly leg mites with used motor oil. Painted it on with a paintbrush while holding hens upside down in my lap. They all looked drunk, slipping and sliding off the roosts. My eggs smelled like Valvoline. Didn't bother the leg mites on bit since they lived on quite happily.

You have to be determined and regular to get rid of a bad infestation with oil applications. Once will usually not do the trick.

If your  hens have legs and feet that look like gnarly tree trunks, you might need a spa day. Stand bird in large bucket of warm soapy water. Chicken will think you have flipped your lid but this is a chicken and you really don't need to explain yourself. After bird has soaked for 10 or 15 minutes, try to gently work off some of the warty, ratty crusty growth. If bird bleeds, leave that bit alone and try another spot. Then while the legs are still soft from beauty treatment, apply your oil. The oil must get UNDER the leg scales to be effective. In severe infestations you  usually need to remove some of the top crust for treatment to work.

Or Eprinex your birds and forget the spa thing altogether. Eprinex : NOT APPROVED FOR USE ON CHICKENS yet absolutely effective. Half eye dropper squirted onto the skin at back of neck and then TOSS EGGS if you wish for the next week. This will take care of fowl mites, lice and internal parasites all at the same time!

#11 2010-02-18 19:16:11

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Bag balm is another option.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#12 2010-02-18 19:57:03

calliope
A.C.E. Addicted

I have used jojoba oil with a little sulfur powder mixed in, and it worked like a charm and is nontoxic.  As for wormers, I don't believe in giving anything chemical unless absolutely necessary, and the natural topical remedies do work, be it mineral oils, tea tree oils, etc., the end result is that they suffocate the mites without harming the birds.  Just not a big believer in the chemical companies and will choose natural remedies and herbs wherever possible (try wormwood instead of the chemical wormers).

Just another day in paradise!

Partridge Chanteclers, True Ameraucanas, Russian Orloffs, LF Blue English Orpingtons, Bearded Silkies, Showgirls, Frizzles, Bantam Cochins, Bourbon Red and Jersey Buff Turkeys, and keeper of honeybees :)

#13 2010-02-18 20:51:09

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Yes, why use drugs when simple non-pharmaceuticals work fine?

Oil, any oil, will fix leg mites. Motor oil, cheap corn oil,  extra-virgin olive oil, almond oil - they all work the same way, by covering over their breathing pores and suffocating the little blighters.

Oil will penetrate up under the scales on its own, if you dip each leg into the tub of oil. A coffee can is good - go out at night, pick the bird off the roost, and extend each leg in turn and dip it in as high as you can go.

It takes a while to show that it has worked, though, as the old scales don't fall off immediately.

#14 2010-02-19 03:04:21

Stephane
A.C.E. Addicted

I use ivermectin right on the legs, kills fast and completely in one application.

Stephane Deshaies
Eastern Townships, Quebec

#15 2010-02-19 03:46:27

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Stephane wrote:

I use ivermectin right on the legs, kills fast and completely in one application.

I like this response from Stephane, I use eprinex, as Uno said.  It works, I have given some to a friend from our forum and it was amazing what it has done to a lice infested EE hen that she had, truly amazing results.  Anyways, don't think I will have issues with scaley leg mite stuff, because of this use of a product.  But....if I did, I would perform the simplest and fastest technique that I could.  I personally don't have the time to apply and reapply a product to get rid of a parasite issue, fastest to me is best, even if I have to resort to a chemical.  Just my way.  Having a chicken "fixed" as quickly and easily as possible is paramount to me.  Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

Board footer