AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2010-02-19 12:49:30

Della333
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Scaley leg mites

ipf wrote:

Yes, why use drugs when simple non-pharmaceuticals work fine?

Oil, any oil, will fix leg mites. Motor oil, cheap corn oil,  extra-virgin olive oil, almond oil - they all work the same way, by covering over their breathing pores and suffocating the little blighters.

Oil will penetrate up under the scales on its own, if you dip each leg into the tub of oil. A coffee can is good - go out at night, pick the bird off the roost, and extend each leg in turn and dip it in as high as you can go.

It takes a while to show that it has worked, though, as the old scales don't fall off immediately.

Yup , anything that will smother them - I saw a great picture of someone with a mason jar full of veg. oil and they held the bird under their armpit and dipped the leg in the jar right up to the hocks - in a bok I have , also say do it a couple of times until you see a difference.  (I've been vaselining the Sussex's legs over winter with a basting brush because the scales just looked a little rough and lifted when I got them and that's made a difference, don't know if they had mites or not)

********* in the hills of the headwaters

#17 2010-02-20 08:08:17

Dan Smith
Website

If you goggled it you might find other cures. I believe that when I goggled it months ago it mentioned to cover the legs with var sol or turpentine i can't remember which one.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#18 2010-02-20 13:19:36

chicken bandit
A.C.E. Addicted

Hi I use Kopertox 1 treatment does it put on their legs and perchs because that's how it spreads but use rubber cloves because it don't wash off it wears off its non nontoxic and cheap about $10 a jug that's quart. ivermect works good but the bad thing about that isyou should not use any produces from the bird such as eggs.used motor oil is full of cancer casing agents but thats not my call.

Last edited by chicken bandit (2010-02-20 13:34:51)

#19 2010-02-20 14:26:42

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I've used Koppertox ( copper napthenate) on horses' hooves (it's excellent), I was unaware it could be used with chickens.  I can see where it would be useful on roosts, but I'm rather concerned about contact with skin, chickens or ours, doesn't it leach?

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#20 2011-05-21 23:13:54

DoubleSSRanch
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Does anyone know for sure if pour on ivomec will kill scaley leg mites?? I picked up some birds from an auction, and gesuss what..theyre infested! They have lice aswell. Im going to give them all some pour on ivomec, will that kill the leg mites aswell? Do I have to make it a dilute solution and spray it on their legs?

Director with the Fort Feeders Co-op Association, Happy to answer any questions about what we do!
Full time cattle farmer
Beef sales

#21 2011-06-12 02:37:30

justplucky
Growing Member

Hey folks, I would like to try the ivermectin,,, what dose do you use and of what concentrate ?  Some folks buy the horse paste and dilute that and put it on the skin, not sure what form to use...help:)  farzmer

Home to : An eclectic group of chickens:)

#22 2011-06-12 03:33:03

Susan

I've used ivermectin on a rooster I have. Its trade name is Noromectin Pour on (for cattle). I used 7 drops.

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#23 2011-06-12 03:35:46

Island Girl

Hi there justplucky, if you are who I think you are ... Susan here on ACE just sent me some Noromectin (Ivermectin) that I used for mite control and as a worming medication. Even if I have to do it again in 2 weeks (I have to check that with Susan) I should have plenty here to share with you. Let me know!

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#24 2011-06-12 04:00:52

Island Girl

Hi there Susan I think we were posting at the same time  :P    When one uses Noromectin  (notice correct spelling   :D ) does it have to be done again in 2 weeks time to kill any worm eggs that have hatched or is it in the system ling enough to be effective 2 weeks later? Thanks again Susan!!

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#25 2011-06-12 04:11:41

Susan

Hey Monica,yes, spelling noted. :), I wouldn't think you would need to retreat in 2 weeks- its stays in the system for a while. Glad to see you jave enough to share! :)

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#26 2011-06-12 05:16:59

DoubleSSRanch
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Give them 1/4-1/2 cc of Pour On Cattle Dewormer. Put it on the back of their neck, on the skin. Ivomec or an off brand name. Clears it right up. Kills lice, worms, and leg mites. It will take quite some time for the legs to return to normal, but it kills the mites right aways.

Director with the Fort Feeders Co-op Association, Happy to answer any questions about what we do!
Full time cattle farmer
Beef sales

#27 2011-06-13 07:50:30

justplucky
Growing Member

Thanks folks...I  got your email Island girl, will be in touch thanks!  thanxkx

Home to : An eclectic group of chickens:)

#28 2011-09-14 05:16:17

krisbummy
Growing Member

I had a bunch of hens that had it, tried the oils thing didn't work, tried the vaseline thing, no avail.     Hooflex which is a horse product, works like a hot diggity, love it.

Special KK Poultry --  keep in touch with us as we start out for the first time! :) Blue laced red wyandottes, Barnevelders, Blue/Black Cochins (bantam), Silver Spangled Hamburgs  and in the future we will be getting Lavendar Orpingtons. Also available is mixed breed eggs for laying, will hatch out eggs/chicks upon request. Feel free to pm with questions! :)

#29 2011-09-14 12:54:04

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have been told to use WD-40!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#30 2011-09-14 18:23:54

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks for this post!!!

One of my hens looks like her scales around her ankles are a *bit* lifted, but I didn't think there was anything wrong...?
After reading this thread I wonder if she is infected? I will take a pic.... is there a way to confirm this problem?

Also, she is NOT hand tame.... I fear trying to paint or dip her legs will be a horrible mess!! If I try it at night will she be docile?
How about straight DE? Will that work?

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

Board footer