AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2011-09-15 14:45:57

Head Over Heels
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Scaley leg mites

I'd use the ivermectin if I were you Brooke...quick, easy and done.

Sue...thats right! WD40 is an oil, so would have the same smothering effect as any other oil.

Pocket Poultry Paddocks...White Bearded Silkies, Pied & Fawn Muscovies, East Indie Ducks,  Mandarins, Jersey Buff, Royal Palm & Sweetgrass Turkeys, Buff Brahmas, Golden & Silver Pheonix & White Ring-Necked Doves!

Pocket Pony Paddocks...proudly owned by 2 Spotted Mini-donkeys, 3 horses, Marble & Pebbles the Nubian goats....lol! 3 beautiful dogs...Wookie, Bailey & Arwynn!

#32 2011-09-15 15:09:52

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

I take it I can purchase ivermectin at the UFA? Is it going to be *really* expensive?
I only have two birds, and Mayble's legs look fine.... should I just treat both anyway?

I was looking at her ankles again this am...hmmm... must remember to get that pic today.

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

#33 2011-09-15 15:22:18

TysExotics
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Ivermectin is very expensive, for 2 birds you will probably spend $60 - $80 on the smallest bottle. Dont do that! Buy Noromectin which is the "knock off" ivormectin. Works just as good and is WAY cheaper. For leg mites, the easiest way to treat it is to buy a small saringe (without needle) pull a few cc's. Then just lightly go up and down the affected area of the leg and get it all covered in Noromectin.

Over 250 Species of Exotics.
Hosting: 6th Annual Critters N Crafts Spring Sale - May 10, 2014 - Vulcan Hockey Arena-
Exotic Animal & Bird Auction at Innisfail Auction Mart on May 2 & 3, 2014 (More details & website link posted soon)
FACEBOOK ...www.facebook.com/tysvulcan

#34 2011-09-15 15:57:54

Head Over Heels
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Some of us islanders bought a bottle & split it, which seriously helped cut the expense. All birds here are now done! wozhoo

Pocket Poultry Paddocks...White Bearded Silkies, Pied & Fawn Muscovies, East Indie Ducks,  Mandarins, Jersey Buff, Royal Palm & Sweetgrass Turkeys, Buff Brahmas, Golden & Silver Pheonix & White Ring-Necked Doves!

Pocket Pony Paddocks...proudly owned by 2 Spotted Mini-donkeys, 3 horses, Marble & Pebbles the Nubian goats....lol! 3 beautiful dogs...Wookie, Bailey & Arwynn!

#35 2011-09-15 16:38:45

Dan Smith
Website

Hi Brook, If you want to come to my place I will give you a suringe with enough ivomectin to do your 2 birds and then you won't have to pay anything. let me know if you are interested.  403 240-2275. Dan

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#36 2011-09-15 17:05:11

Head Over Heels
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Oh Dan! That is so very thoughtful of you!! :thumbsup:

#37 2011-09-21 02:54:59

krisbummy
Growing Member

Hooflex for horses....awesome and sticks like anything!!

Special KK Poultry --  keep in touch with us as we start out for the first time! :) Blue laced red wyandottes, Barnevelders, Blue/Black Cochins (bantam), Silver Spangled Hamburgs  and in the future we will be getting Lavendar Orpingtons. Also available is mixed breed eggs for laying, will hatch out eggs/chicks upon request. Feel free to pm with questions! :)

#38 2012-03-04 15:05:26

New2Chickens
Growing Member

My three silkie crosses have scaley leg mites.   How do I treat their feathered legs?   Same way.  Only my feathered leg critters have it, not the unfeathered ones ..???

#39 2012-03-04 15:08:18

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Treat the same way.  Silkies are more prone.  I think the feathers afford the mites more hiding places.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#40 2012-03-04 17:03:13

Pipestone
A.C.E. Addicted

We used to dip our chickens in used motor oil for leg mites when I was a kid.  Thankfully, my current flock doesn't have them, cuz you never get rid of them once you have them.

One farmer, one husband, 6 kids, Buckeyes, Blue Silkies, Silver Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Blue Wheaten Americaunas, Partridge Chanteclers, Russian Orloffs,
1 Great Pyrenees,  1 Anatolian Shepherd x Maremmma, ? cats. 5 bee hives, and ridiculous number of experimental fruit trees.

#41 2012-03-04 23:41:45

k.r.l
A.C.E. Addicted

They are very easy to get rid of. I have found coppertox works great.
You can get it at any farm supply store.
One treatment is usually enough as the solution stays on the bird very well.
It does turn the birds legs green though.

Raises Speckled Sussex, Buff Chantecler (Sand Hill), Bantam Belgian Bearded d'Uccles in Self Blue (Lavender), and Black.

Looking forward to Canadian Heritage Breeds Summer Shows July 17-18th Westerner Days & July 25th at Vermilion Fair ~ APA Sanctioned Show!!! Thank you to all that have supported CHB! This looks to be a fun show! Hope to see you there!

#42 2012-06-09 02:25:08

fun

Those hangy bug things work really well on preventing further outbreaks. There is a sticky post about them somewhere. I get them at Canadian Tire. Can't remember the name even though i just put some up last week. They look like the signs you hang on a doornob. but with a layer of pesticide infused stuff in them. Nasty chemicals really but have not had any more outbreaks of anything.
I have also used Eprinex in past before door nob hanger things and found it effective.
lm

#43 2012-09-22 00:29:33

mom2grey
Banned
Website

You could try spraying their legs with Pam...

I just LOVE to garden and really look forward to Bunny Poo Times Two in 2013!
Indoors, an african grey parrot rules the roost.

#44 2012-09-22 12:40:27

country pine
Growing Member

The vet always recommends ivermectin. The bonus is you can give orally and will do a good deworming too. I agree with the oil or vaseline aswell. When I raised rabbits as a child warm olive oil worked wonders at getting rid of ear mites.

"Each Organic being...at some period of its life, during some season of the year, during each generation or at intervals, has to struggle for life and to suffer great destruction." Charles Darwin.
Home to 2 children, one dog, a Guinea Pig and a kitten!

#45 2012-10-14 22:15:35

BM

Four weeks ago I rescued 3 favorite hens of my friend.  Her daughter figured she won't be able to take care of the chickens this winter and took half of them home and gave half away.  Anyways, these 3 hens had horrible legs due to Scaley leg mites.  They felt like a horse rasp.  I vaselined them every 2 day for two weeks and twice a week for two more weeks.  I also put 1 drop of ivermectin on the tiny hen and and 3 drops on the bigger bantys twice.  Once at the beginning and one more time after 2 weeks. (by vet recommendation)

After 2 weeks I thought I felt a difference and after 4 weeks I know there is a difference.  By no means are there perfect yet...  What do I do now?  Should I vaseline their legs once a week for awhile?  Can I introduce them to my flock or should I keep them separated a while longer.  What would you do?

All creatures great and small, I love them all!

Board footer