AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Can a baby survive who has not absorbed his yolk?

#1 2011-03-20 21:56:21

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

Can a baby survive who has not absorbed his yolk?

I have a little chick who hatched late last night (around midnight) who did not absorb all of his yolk.  Can he survive?  He is up walking around, he just has a bit of the yolk that is not absorbed.  It has gotten smaller, and he is seeming stronger.  Am I wrong to let him continue to live?  He is lively, and you would not know something was wrong if it was not something that is visible.  Please if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it greatly!!  Thanks

Poultry Palace
Providing quality hatching eggs and chicks

#2 2011-03-20 22:16:53

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: Can a baby survive who has not absorbed his yolk?

Short answer, Yes.  I have had a few chicks hatch the same way.  You have to watch that any other chick does not try to pick what remains of the yolk.  Do not pick it off but rather wait till it dries completely, it should fall off on it's own or, at that time you can trim it.  This may take 48 hours to happen.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#3 2011-03-20 22:38:10

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks soo much, I did not want him to be suffering, but at the same time he didn't look to be.  I have left him in my bator away from the other chicks as a few were picking on him.  He can stay warm and encourage the last of the eggs to hatch!  He is a beautiful LO who is determined to survive and I hate to put one down if they are fighting to survive!

Poultry Palace

#4 2011-03-21 15:27:10

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

He died last night, and I have had to cull one of the last PC who hatched as what looked like intestines were coming out his umbili cord hole along with what looks like an expelled egg yolk sack.  He was not in good shape, he also had a crooked leg.

Poultry Palace

#5 2011-03-21 15:45:00

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Oh, I am sorry to hear that.  You did try.  I have had a few like this that did make it.  If I were to have another like this, I would try to save it.  You can't save everyone but some of them are worth the try.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#6 2011-03-21 17:06:02

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Awww... :sorry:  I just read this post.   It's tough, to not have them make it, or to have to cull a little one.  :aww:

I was going to comment about having read somewhere, that if the yoke sack isn't absorbed that you can tie it off with dental floss, and it will dry up and fall off.  But, I've never tried this, so I don't know if it actually helps or not.  Someone also posted a link somewhere on how to put pressure on the yoke sack to get it into the body, but this seemed to be a pretty delicate process to me, because you had to be careful not to burst it.  I think they did it with baby parrots in the article.

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#7 2011-03-21 17:34:10

Chickie Lover
I Love A.C.E.

:sorry:  Sorry you lost your chickie!!

#8 2011-03-21 17:54:21

uno
I Love A.C.E.

I have tied off yolk sacks with dental floss. BUt the trick is knowing when too much yolk sac is sticking out. If there is only a little, you can tie off. But if there is a lot, then things don't look good. It's a judgememt call. SOrry about your losses.

#9 2011-03-21 18:45:11

DCChick

Sorry about your babys :crying: I have a sick one too. It seems sad that they should have it so tough after all that hard work hatcing.

Barred Rock, Black and blue Ameracauna, silkies, Australian Spotted ducks, peafowl, boer goats ( first kids coming April/May 3013! I hope!) three quarter horses, one mini, four heifers and a blue slate turkey Tom.

#10 2011-03-21 20:21:40

jjpiper

smokyriver wrote:

He died last night, and I have had to cull one of the last PC who hatched as what looked like intestines were coming out his umbili cord hole along with what looks like an expelled egg yolk sack.  He was not in good shape, he also had a crooked leg.

Sorry about the loss. I just had the same issues with my hatch. 2 late hatchers. One hatched that looked like it had yolk still to absorb and lots of blood. It has survived so far and looks healthy now. Another one had what looked like his intestines coming out of his abdomen and what appeared to be a weak leg. He kept getting stuck to the floor and I wasn't sure if he'd survive or if I should cull. My DW was quite upset. He fought for about 24 hours and died this morning. I checked my unhatched eggs and three or four were 90-100% grown so I wonder if my humidity problems had anything to do with it.

Brahmas - 9 out of 12 hatched. (One early quitter).

Buff O's - 5 out of 12 hatched. (One died after hatch and at least three full term but not hatched).

Ameracauna -  0 out of 12. (None were fertilized).

:babydust::hatch:

Wife, 2 Boys and 1 Girl, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 German Shorthaired Pointer, Lionhead, Holand Lop, Californian rabbits. Organic vegetable and perennial gardens. Silver Laced Wyandotte and Partridge Chanteclair are now laying. White Chantecler juveniles. We also lease a pony named Timone but he is at the farm. We are still stuck in the city. Moving to the country soon.

#11 2011-03-21 21:57:44

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

I probably should have tried to tie it off as it was just a small portion.  I am hoping that when I am able to get my new repti 5000 home and get it working that my hatching will maybe do alot better.  I think the hovas are great for starting out, but if you plan to do hatches where eggs are shipped It is not great!!  I am still happy with my hatch as the eggs arrived from a fair distance, and in cold weather.   Thanks for the comments and thoughts!  It helps to know for next time something like this happens!

Poultry Palace

#12 2011-03-21 22:10:21

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Smoky sorry about those babies.  :aww:  You are having a bad run.  This was a better hatch than last time, but I know we can do better!   It is so upsetting to learn this way, but most of us have been through this.  I am so glad for the babies you did get. I hope you get to truly enjoy them now the worrying part is over.  I hope you love them!

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#13 2011-03-21 23:41:47

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

I love them, and expected a loss due to shipping!!  They are beautiful!  Thanks for entrusting me with some of your eggs from your beautiful birds!  I am just hoping I have some nice little pullets  and a roo from the LO's from you and cjones28!  I am just happy to have them!!  I am hoping my new bator will help with the hatches.  And then later on this year, maybe I can afford to purchase one of the sportsmans I have run across. (hubby does not like this idea, but he can suck it up!!  LOL  I don't like some of the things he does or purchases)

Poultry Palace

#14 2011-03-22 03:28:41

uno
I Love A.C.E.

Smokyriver, if there was only a little yolk sticking out and he died anyway, I doubt the yolk was the reason. Do not beat yourself up over some failure to tie it of because I think there was another problem beyond the yolk.

I keep cod liver oil capsules as a booster for babies who are not really robust. I poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze a drop or two in their mouth. This is messy and not exact. BUt seems to give them a boost of good stuff if they are looking floppy and slow to get going.

#15 2011-03-22 03:32:22

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.

I am going to have to grab some of those!!  Thanks Uno

Poultry Palace

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Can a baby survive who has not absorbed his yolk?

Board footer