AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2011-06-19 02:24:35

syble
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

quail pens

just curious as to what everyone uses for their quail pens? I have a 3 tier rabbit cage that i'm thinking of using. its a 6 cage unit, with solid dividers between cages so they wont see each other. each cage is 24x18, would that be suitable for a trio of coturnix?

How bout some pictures of your own pens?
Thanks
Sib

HATCHING EGGS AVAILABLE SPRING 2014 Exhibition Lines. Blue Marans (NON COPPERED), AraucanasTURKEY slates and bourbon red, and coturnix quail in many colours. See my website for details, or feel free to send me an e-mail

#2 2011-06-19 03:48:29

leahthor
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: quail pens

I am just using XL Guinea Pig hutches. They are large enough for a quad as I give them 1 square foot per bird and it has a shelf that I put the waterer on so it doesn't get dirty. They also have a nice little area they can hide under. Because my birds are in the shop I use shavings that I clean every week. My birds have gotten used to the routine so they don't stop laying when I move them to clean the pens and they love to bath in the fresh shavings.

Your dimensions sound great for a trio or quad, I was told that you can go as low as .5 foot square but I like to give them more room than that.

#3 2011-06-19 05:13:36

babieblues
A.C.E. Addicted

We have a few different types of pens but my favorites are the 3 breeding pens my son built for me and the filing cabinet my husband refurbished into grow out pens.

The breeding pens are 2' x 6' x 3' tall.  Made them narrow enough to fit through doorways and tall enough so my diamond doves could live up in the top part of the cages with the quail.  Usually keep 1 male and 4 - 6 females in each cage

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/babieblues/Coops%20and%20Pens/cage02.jpg

The filing cabinet has 7 shelves (6 cages & 1 storage) each around 4 square feet by 11 1/2" tall.  Each shelf has a slide out tray for easy cleaning and if you remove the tray every 2nd floor has a hole cut in it so you can use a ramp and allow the birds to have a 1 or a 2 level cage.  This is where the quail live after the brooder and until their fate is decided.  Breeders or the freezer.  Usually keep 3 or 4 birds per shelf/cage 

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/babieblues/Coops%20and%20Pens/filingcabinet01.jpg

Last edited by babieblues (2011-08-11 20:08:45)

#4 2011-06-19 15:26:55

leahthor
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Wow, babiebues! I love that filing cabinet cage. Hope you don't mind but I'm stealing that photo and having my hubby make me one like it. That would be so much nicer than having rubbermaid containers all over the place for grow out pens.

#5 2011-06-19 16:10:43

babieblues
A.C.E. Addicted

leahthor wrote:

Wow, babiebues! I love that filing cabinet cage. Hope you don't mind but I'm stealing that photo and having my hubby make me one like it. That would be so much nicer than having rubbermaid containers all over the place for grow out pens.

Steal away  =)
We picked up the cabinet really cheap at an auction house a few years ago, it was originally modified to house hedgehogs.  It works great as a brooder too.  The top shelf door works great to clamp & wire a heat lamp to and with only a 100 watt heat bulb it never gets too hot for them.  Have 3 guineas in with the lamp right now.  Got one of those large brooders from Jean but needed it for quail and chantie chicks so the guineas got moved out.

#6 2011-06-19 16:19:34

makwaseni
I Love A.C.E.

Hey  babyblues t hose are very neat looking cages, did Carmen see them when she was there ?   I really like them  , but  no more cages or birdies for me  just the you know what .....  water and water everywhere   here ,and are they happy  , we planted new grass around the house and now had to put up a temporary fence the young gooseys are eating off all the young grass , makes a difference when both parties like something , Dick really is enjoying the geese , to be honest  he hated the chickens , now I have all kinds of help . I really like both of your quail holdings  really nice.

Custom made leather products including moccasins, mitts, dream-catchers, hobo bags etc. Soon there will be a new web site for Maverick Tanney in Unity Sask.  Once the site is developed, there will be many photos of my work there.

#7 2011-06-19 17:50:40

babieblues
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks Jean  =)
Carmen saw the breeder cages, have 3 of them in the front of the barn where they live year round.  The filing cabinet not so sure if she noticed it.  Haven't used it in awhile and it needed a good cleaning.  Wanted to divide the colors of the quails I hatched out from Carmen's eggs so spent the day yesterday giving it a good scrubbing.
We've had so much rain here that the chicken coop is again mostly under water.  If it doesn't start going down soon we'll either have to get ducks or geees or teach the chickens how to swim.  Anyone make a bathing suit for chickens?  Looking for something chique but not too over the top  :veryfunny:

#8 2011-06-19 18:05:11

CrazyQuailLady
A.C.E. Addicted

I keep my breeders in modified chinchilla cages.  My parents raised chinchillas for years and we have hundreds of these cages.  Each cage is about 16 by 20 inches (I am guessing as I am at the lake right now).  Each Unit has 10 cages (5 cages high by 2 wide).  I take 2 side by side units and make them into one pen that holds a trio or quad.  It is plenty of room for the breeding pens.  I only use the top 2 units as the bottom ones don't get enough light, but a single cage is a nice roomy condo for a spare male or a hospital pen.  The cages each have a tray with shavings and they pull out and clean very easily.  The cages can be set up for automatic waterers, I just haven't set them up yet.  I may put the dusting trays back some time and see if the birds would like to dust as well. 

My grow out pens are what used to be a glass frame greenhouse I was building before hubby bought me a large commercial one.  They are each about 6 feet by 8 feet.  I put 50 birds in there and they love it.  It is really high as well so they can fly a bit.  I also have a 2 by 3 foot hot brooder, a larger 3 foot by 4 foot ( cooler brooder that I bought from Jean and a 5 foot by 3 foot pen I keep with birds I am evaluating for breeding.  Slowly I am getting a nice set-up for my birds.  I am really happy with the progress.  I will post pictures after I return from the lake. 

I wish I brought my camera here - the view from my front deck is breathtaking.  The girls and I watched 2 giant pelicans on our walk to the bakery this morning for a coffee and a cini.  We are in the Prince Albert National park.

#9 2011-06-26 16:42:26

babieblues
A.C.E. Addicted

CrazyQuailLady wrote:

My grow out pens are what used to be a glass frame greenhouse I was building before hubby bought me a large commercial one.  They are each about 6 feet by 8 feet.  I put 50 birds in there and they love it.  It is really high as well so they can fly a bit.  I also have a 2 by 3 foot hot brooder, a larger 3 foot by 4 foot ( cooler brooder that I bought from Jean and a 5 foot by 3 foot pen I keep with birds I am evaluating for breeding.  Slowly I am getting a nice set-up for my birds.  I am really happy with the progress.  I will post pictures after I return from the lake.

Home from the lake yet Carmen?
Would really love to see some pics of your setup  :D

#10 2011-06-26 20:10:24

CrazyQuailLady
A.C.E. Addicted

I am home.  We have been outside for the last 2 hours getting the old truck out of MY shop so I can set it up properly.  I am much too embarassed to post pics as it was.  Besides the old truck (ok most of a 1950 ford that my hubby refuses to sell to someone that may restore it) there was all kinds of junk that needed to be removed.  We will be leaving for the cabin again on Thurdsay and I will have good pics posted before then.  I was just at my parents place yesterday to get a few more chinchilla cages to use as roo condos.  I have to take pics of those as well and put them up for sale.  We have hundreds of them that need a new home.

#11 2011-06-27 20:49:15

syble
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

so this is hopefully going to be my quail condos. its 6 units with solid poly divider between pens. deep plastic trays for shavings and poop. I have modified rabbit feeders to go on the outside, and hoping to use the rabbit bottles for water (i've been told thats the best as it stays clean!).

I'm sure there will be alterations needing to be made over time. the holes are 1x2 so the eggs can probably roll out so i will either need to add a track to catch them or to put a barrier around to stop it. Also i will have to wait for them to grow to a certain size before they get in there. I hope to use it for breeding groups.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7249/dscn6672w.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The pens are 2' deep x 1.5 feet wide, so 3 square feet per pen... I think i remember reading that you can put 1 quail per square foot, though some people say .5 square feet per quail... so by that logic i can keep 3-6 quail per pen. i think i may try for quads? what do you think? too risky?

Once i have worked with quail in this pen and learned the pros and cons, i'm sure i will make additional towers similar. I think they will be full 2x2 and 2x4 pens though.

thanks
sib

HATCHING EGGS AVAILABLE SPRING 2014 Exhibition Lines. Blue Marans (NON COPPERED), AraucanasTURKEY slates and bourbon red, and coturnix quail in many colours. See my website for details, or feel free to send me an e-mail

#12 2011-06-28 00:32:45

wolfbird_94
Website

:goodpost: wow that looks nice syble...

The Greatest wealth is health - Virgil
www.wolfbirdexotics.webs.com
wolfbird_94

#13 2011-06-28 22:11:45

CrazyQuailLady
A.C.E. Addicted

I am having issues with the pictures, but here goes..

My large brooder...thanks Jean and Dick!
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/carmenb3/2011all330.jpg

My very large grow out pen (I have 2 of these)  stacked together they were the start of a greenhouse made of glass windows, but I abandoned the project as we bought a commercial one.  They are 6 feet by 5 feet and at least 2 feet high.  There are 50 almost grown quail in this pen and they are not crowded.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/carmenb3/2011all328.jpg

This is the first pen I built with a hot brooder for winter brooding.  It is 8 feet by 2 feet and about 2 feet high as well­. 
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/carmenb3/2011all331.jpg

Breeding pens.  I take 2 side by side cages and make them into one cage.  It is perfect for a trio or a quad.  The bottom cages are used as sick pens and roo condos.  I thought I had some kind of disease in my birds and I discover that the males are just beating each other.  Removed a few and my `disease`went away!!
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/carmenb3/2011all327.jpg

Last edited by CrazyQuailLady (2011-06-28 22:17:29)

#14 2011-06-28 23:23:17

syble
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

i really like your hot brooding pen for winter! I may have to copy that design! would be nice to be able to breed year round. Thanks for taking the time to post the photos, they are worth a thousand words haha.
sib ;)

Board footer