AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2009-06-13 16:23:04

The Rev
New Here

Re: Mite problems?

Thanks everyone!

I'm very happy for all the advice I've received on this issue so far.   Since I'm not a farmer and don't know what I would do with the left over medicine, I'm not sure I would try the medicine route just yet. 

I've looked into things since the DE was first suggested and read that DE is not good for earthworms, which means that if I sprinkle it in the dusting spots in the chicken yard, the worms won't survive.   I would guess that frogs would have a hard time of it, too.  Then again, I can't imagine those things would survive in my chicken yard in any case.   My chickens go nuts chasing after and devouring anything that looks edible to them.

In regard to that tub-in-the-coop idea, both the DE and the wood ashes make sense in at least keeping down populations of pests, if not eliminating them entirely, which isn't realistic, anyway.

Would it be overkill if I were to mix DE and wood ashes and use them in a tub in the coop?  Also, does the dusting tub make the air even more dusty than it already can be when the coop is closed up during cold weather?   Would I have to wear a dust mask to collect eggs? 

Questions, questions -- always questions!

The Rev

At last a hobby with a year-round growing season!

#17 2009-06-13 20:03:33

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

A bottle of Eprinex is ghastly expensive. But concern about what to do with leftover medicine: It's not left over. It just isn't used up yet. You do not get rid of pests permanently. You manage them, you beat them back, you conquer them, for a little while. But there's more of them than of us and their sheer numbers mean they'll be back!

Powdering or anything you do must be done on a regular basis. Keep checking bums for lice and roosts for mites and proceed as required. Sadly experience has taught me this is never a one time deal. And infestations change with the weather and the health of your flock. Never fear that anything you invest in will be 'leftover'. It's like spare money, it will come in handy eventually and better to have some than be caught empty handed. Fight the good fight, we're all in the trenches with you!

#18 2009-06-15 06:10:55

The Rev
New Here

I'm definitely in those trenches now!

I followed some of the advice that I've been given and bought a big bag of DE and sprinkled it all over the coop floor, the nest boxes, the roosts, and the dusting spots out in the chicken run.  I've got a tub of hardwood ashes in the coop.  Mostly, I've got birds that are clearly wondering what in the world is going on.

Last night I waited until it was good and dark outside and went into the coop with my flashlight.  I checked roosts and rear ends any other body parts I could manage to grope with a flashlight in one hand and a bird dangling upside down in the other. 

The result:  I haven't seen any mites or lice, but I certainly have a wife and kids are who clearly wondering what in the world is going on.   

My oldest son says it looks like a bag of flour blew up in the coop.  The rest of the family hasn' t said much, but they huddle together with whispers and look at me kind of funny. 

Ah, the sacrifices we make to fight the good fight!

The Rev.

At last a hobby with a year-round growing season!

#19 2009-06-15 13:57:38

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

#20 2009-06-15 14:51:05

Dragowings

I keep a bag of DE in the coop with a flour sifter that is shaped like a stainless coffee mug(that has a squeezeable handle that triggers the blades in the bottom of the cup), I clean poop out of my shaveings once every day or two and when I'm done I use the sifter to sprinkle DE every where a chicken goes then I use a rake to "fluff" the shaveings, this gets the DE mixed around without getting to much air born and helps to keep the shaveings dry by provideing air ciculation from "fluffing" the compacted litter on the floor and nest boxes.

#21 2009-06-15 15:01:39

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

a couple of questions just in case!:
Is the name of the dust "DE" and where would a person buy it?

Also i have some ivermectin but it is a paste for my horses, would i need a liquid?  If i was to use it or eprinex how much do i give each chicken and is it given orally?

This subject is a serious one but it sure gives me the eebie  jeebies :hide:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#22 2009-06-15 15:26:40

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Eprinex is not the same as ivermectin. I don't know about ivermectin, but eprinex dosage is clearly indicated in the packaging material, and is expressed in ml/kg of body weight. Guess your bird's weight and multiply. It's applied to the back, between the wings or a bit higher, directly on the skin (lift the feathers and apply underneath).

#23 2009-06-15 17:34:38

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

It should be a liquid to apply it to the birds I think!! You should be able to get a bag of DE from a feed store, I got mine at the UFA Coop in Ponoka. Just always make sure it's food grade.

#24 2009-06-15 18:59:42

Dragowings

DE is short for (not sure how to spell it, so I'll spell it the way it sounds) diatamatious earth.

#25 2009-06-15 19:38:30

Migi
A.C.E. Addicted

Very good Dragonwings, I can say it better from your spelling than I can from the label. It is suppose to be a good preventitave measure for lots of crawly things. As for the Shell strips that you hang, I used to use them, when they first came out, in our house as we had 3 dogs and the winters didn't get cold enough to keep the flee population under control. I was breeding and showing Shelties at the time and the breeder I got my girl from warned me that they contained something that could make the dog sterile. They did do wonders on the bugs, but we never did prove or disprove the sterile part. I don't know if they have changed the formula since then, but the bug killer/deterent agent in them leaches to airborn and we weren't sure if we really wanted to continue with them for us or the dogs.

Having fun with Polish, Silkies, Barred Rocks, RIR, EE, and Australorps

#26 2009-06-16 04:35:12

Dragowings

I haven't heard of the shell strips, do you think they would be safe in a coop far from dogs? And what were they called?

#27 2009-06-16 05:09:15

sheeplady

Prairie Chick I use an old stove drawer. It's deep enough that the ashes don't go all over the place and the chickens fluff themselves once they get out so they don't go around covered with ashes all day. To be honest I don't think that every chicken dusts everyday.

#28 2009-06-16 05:15:12

sheeplady

on the topic of DE it is something that you might have to be a little careful with. Stall Dry is a version of DE and it caused me to have a bad asthma attack. I love the product because it makes the coop smell nice and fresh but I always wear a really good mask when I use it now. I also wonder if it caused me to have an asthma attack when I'm not normally an asthmatic what will it do to the chickens or to you when you're gathering the eggs if they've been kicking and scratching in it. I think I'll stick to smaller quantities to freshen my coops but not enough for the chickens to dust in.

#29 2009-06-16 14:09:45

Dragowings

I've read that breathing the dust is not good for you and actually causes a condition of some sort, ya might want to read up on that before makeing clouds of it. I sometimes wear a dust mask when is close quarters but try not to let it do that.

#30 2009-06-27 21:44:09

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

Ok so i put some ashes and dirt into a tub for the chickens to bath in.  I also put some DE in there but i am wondering how much should a person put in there, is half a shovel too much?  Should it be 1/4 of the tub or just sprinkle some in there? :confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

Board footer