AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY NINE HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » How to cause cervical dislocation in chicks/chickens for testing?

#1 2012-04-29 14:34:09

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

How to cause cervical dislocation in chicks/chickens for testing?

Tomorrow morning I will need to cull some of my 6-8ish week old chicks and turkeys to send in for testing.

What is the best way to cause cervical dislocation with out damaging the specimens?

Or is there a better way to cull them for this?

If I have to cull a chick to put it out of it's misery, I always use a shovel, set the chick down on the ground and step on the shovel quickly. The only thing with this method is most time the head comes off.

I want to cause as less damage to the body/head/trachea (incase they need to examine it) as possible. But I also want to cause as quick of a death as possible with out undue suffering.

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#2 2012-04-29 15:43:49

debbiej

Re: How to cause cervical dislocation in chicks/chickens for testing?

I read an article that said to put the chicken on the ground put a broom handle across the neck and pull  up on the body  :hide:

another way was to have a broom handle and take the chicken by the neck and snap the body over the handle, both methods quickly break the neck with out any blood or damage to the carcass

Silkie I'm sorry you have to deal with this, hope you get a diagnosis and solution

Russian Orloffs,  Euskal Oiloas, Silkies,  Le Fleche, Polish, 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#3 2012-04-29 15:58:45

chickenhoarder
Growing Member

hello, I have put them into a Zip-lock freezer bag and then into the freezer. A little less damaging but still it takes a some time

20 RIR's, 20 colored egg layers and 18 experimental chickens of my own type and still adding more...., 3 Australian/Border Collies, 1 Great (Big) Dane house dog, 3 (too many cats), also 1 wife (who lovingly feeds and waters the chickens), 1 drama queen teenager, 1 chicken wrangler 11yr old boy!, 3 horses, and the best helper, Bob the tractor

#4 2012-04-30 04:47:05

Island Girl

If you are sending them to the lab sb its better not to freeze them. If the lab preference hasn't changed since I sent some to the lab about a year ago, they ask that the birds be cooled down (fridge) and then packed with ice packs for shipping. I made sure everything was well wrapped in case of leakage (ewww) a lightweight styrofoam box works well too. You probably know all this stuff but thought I would post just in case. Again, sb sorry that you have to go through all this, but am very proud as a chicken friend that you are doing this responsibly. As for a quick cull that leaves everything intact, the way Debbie described above works very well. :hugzz:

XOX Monika

Proud owner of a growing flock of Euskal Oiloak (Basque Hens)

#5 2012-04-30 13:52:06

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thank you!

#6 2012-04-30 14:05:02

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Well, the deed is done.

I don't even like stepping on spiders and beetles because I hate the crunch. It's worse to hold a living life that you have been feeding and caring for in your hands and break it's neck.

I used a broom tick across the back of the neck, held the body and pulled up. I hope I didn't do it wrong. It took some them a few minutes to die. I held onto them as they died, so that they didn't flop around too much. I wasn't sure how hard to pull either.

Only one of the turkeys bled. It had blood come out of it's beak, but the head was still attached.

All this done before 6am. What a way to start the day. I'm off to the bus to send them to Abbodsford.

When I phoned, I was told they wanted freshly dead birds on ice packs.  She didn't say to refrigerate them over night... Hope mine are ok.
Crossing my fingers that I've just been stressing for nothing.... Now the waiting begins.

#7 2012-04-30 14:06:37

Country Thyme Farm
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Out of curiosity, what are you getting them tested for?

Breeding utility line of Appleyard, Muscovy, Indian Runner, Toulouse, & Chantecler.

#8 2012-04-30 16:42:13

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Silkie, you brave woman.  You did real good, such a good chicken Mama.  I understand that this was not easy to do but, sometimes we have to do things that are real hard and things we don't like to do.  I hope the results are good and then this will be behind you.  Big hugs being sent to you right now.  :hugzz:

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#9 2012-04-30 22:37:35

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Country Thyme Farm wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are you getting them tested for?

I'm getting them tested for Mycoplasma... or whatever else they find.

I want to know what I am dealing with.

#10 2012-05-01 01:00:25

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

How long was a wait was it before you heard back from them, Island Girl?

#11 2012-05-01 06:58:21

Island Girl

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting … p?id=22320

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting … p?id=22694

These are the posts of my experience back then sb, it looks like the report took 10 days. I remember the waiting was so difficult and then it took me awhile to go over the results and if I remember correctly I ended up phoning and clarifying some of the technical stuff.

:aww: XOX Monika

Proud owner of a growing flock of Euskal Oiloak (Basque Hens)

#12 2012-05-01 13:35:33

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thank you, Island Girl.

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » How to cause cervical dislocation in chicks/chickens for testing?

Board footer