AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2012-07-05 17:56:30

Della333
A.C.E. Addicted

explain a calf house / hutch / polydome

if a little kid asked you what it was or why it was used what would you say?

we see them often - I don't know what it is
but not the whole story.

************13 bantam hens in the hills of the headwaters , 2 dogs - a giant chocolate lab crossed with a Chesapeake named Chip and his fiesty buddy a Jack Russell named Richard

#2 2012-07-05 18:12:04

just ducky
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: explain a calf house / hutch / polydome

They are used for raising veal calves,  I have one and use for other purposes but mostly it is a small moveable sheltered pen in which the calf cannot romp around too much to gain muscle so the meat is tender....ain't that cruel?

Indian Runner Ducks,  Miniature Appaloosas, & Myotonic Goats,  a wonderful collie and havanese

Quarry Lake Farm in Saanich is officially SOLD...moved UP (Island)

#3 2012-07-05 18:25:47

jgraham3

they use them at the dairy farm where my husband works too..but not as much as they used to..basically just to separate the calves  so its easier to feed and to move them to the bigger pens when they get old enough

#4 2012-07-05 18:49:26

Della333
A.C.E. Addicted

just ducky wrote:

They are used for raising veal calves,  I have one and use for other purposes but mostly it is a small moveable sheltered pen in which the calf cannot romp around too much to gain muscle so the meat is tender....ain't that cruel?

NO this is different than a veal crate

************13 bantam hens in the hills of the headwaters , 2 dogs - a giant chocolate lab crossed with a Chesapeake named Chip and his fiesty buddy a Jack Russell named Richard

#5 2012-07-05 19:11:24

just ducky
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Well the farm I got mine from used them for veal....two in a dome.  I always see them at dairys too

Indian Runner Ducks,  Miniature Appaloosas, & Myotonic Goats,  a wonderful collie and havanese

#6 2012-07-05 19:20:43

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

They are usually used for raising their replacement heifers in.  At least at a proper dairy farm.

Reason being that two calves together will cross suck each other, and heifers are ruined for milking, after another calf has been cross sucking on it's little teats.

they will also cross suck on navels which is definately dangerous for the calf.  So raising seperate stops these problems, plus trying to feed more than one calf at a time in a stall is "really" difficult!

#7 2012-07-05 19:41:54

just ducky
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Thats informative Lady L.    I needed the domes I got for goats but really hated buying from the fellow where I did.  It was so disgusting.  There was a concrete floor in his barn that was a total slick of poo and I saw a poor newborn calf who could barely stand trying to get its footing doing the splits in it.  When I said something to the guy, he replied "a calf that cant stand dont do me no good"  IT was terrible to see that poor baby but he told me he had used each dome for two.  In hindsight I should have reported him- seemed like he had raised his calves for years and just didn't see them as a living creatures.  THats a bit off topic but I guess he did not use the pens as they were intended

#8 2012-07-05 19:45:56

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Banned

Veal is my favourite meal. :letseat:

~Breeder of the finest Chariot Racing Chickens in Ontario. 2003-2004-2008-2009 Championship Winner~

#9 2012-07-05 20:09:26

just ducky
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

LittleChickenRacingTeam wrote:

Veal is my favourite meal. :letseat:

I could probably like tender beef but some agribusiness products are a bit harder to swallow

#10 2012-07-05 21:27:45

LittleChickenRacingTeam
Banned

Milk fed white veal makes the best scallopini available. One of my few guilty pleasures I guess.

The uncrated veal has way too much muscle & connective tissue to make an enjoyable meal. bazn

~Breeder of the finest Chariot Racing Chickens in Ontario. 2003-2004-2008-2009 Championship Winner~

#11 2012-07-05 23:32:05

Journey's End

A friend who owns a dairy farm (the one where we got our bull calf) uses them to separate his heifers. But the doors are open and they are either leashed to a 20 foot rope, or penned in with the dome in the pen.

Homeschooling mother of three, one husband, Speckled Sussex, black Jersey Giants, and a mix and match of everything else.

#12 2012-07-06 04:43:24

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Journey's end,

That's how they are supposed to be used!!!  Just Ducky, that was a terrible "dairy" farmer.  Then they grumble because they make no money.

A normal practise is a leash type of thing on a collar the calves wear, and they are kept very clean!  These are their future cows.  Don't look after them properly and you don't have repelacements. Simple as that.

That farmer that had no bedding and slippery floors should have been reported!   But if they access to food and water the SPCA won't do anything anyway. :angry2:

Big time farming can be out and out sickening. nonoz

#13 2012-07-06 05:41:58

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Here's a dumb question for all you folk who know about cattle: how come beef calves are raised on their moms and with the herd, but dairy calves can't be?  Herefords don't cross suck?  What about beef x dairy crosses?

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

#14 2012-07-06 09:59:38

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Any calf taken off it's mom, and put with any other breed of calf will cross suck, if penned together, and fed together. 

Dairy calves can't be left on the dairy cow, because you wouldn't have a milk cow then.  Plus the dairy cows now have been bred to produce so heavily that the calf would scour and die, and the cow during that process would get mastitis, because the calf couldn't take all the milk.

This is for a proper Dairy, if you have a dairy cow as a house cow, you can leave the calf on and milk twice a day, and still get lots of milk.  Or let the calf have the morning or evening milking.  This can be done, because the average house dairy cow is not fed so heavily to produce lots of milk.

Some of these dairy cows can produce a tremendous amount of milk daily, if fed for it.   House cows just aren't fed like that.  The average dairy cow is really pushed for production by heavy feeding. 

Some dairies even milk 3 times a day.  To get higher production.   

Anybreed will cross suck if fed with another calf.

Beef calves are left on the cow to get as much milk as possible to grow faster, but these cows don't  milk as heavy as a dairy cow.  If you see beef calves on the cow that have a very dull coat colour, especially in herefords, chances are the mother is a poor milker and should be culled.  A good mom has a nice slick calf at foot. 

Some dairy breeds will milk over 100 lbs a day, no calf could drink all that milk. 

Hope that helps a bit Tru North.  :0)

Last edited by lady leghorn (2012-07-06 10:01:52)

#15 2012-07-06 12:15:06

Journey's End

lady leghorn wrote:

Some dairy breeds will milk over 100 lbs a day, no calf could drink all that milk.

That's the reason I'm looking for a Jersey cow. I don't want the amount of milk a holstein gives. I heard somewhere it's the low butterfat content in the holstein's milk too that is an issue. The lack of fat increases the risk of scours.

Homeschooling mother of three, one husband, Speckled Sussex, black Jersey Giants, and a mix and match of everything else.

Board footer