AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2012-09-26 01:56:53

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

List of municipalities in Canada that allow backyard hens

Hi everyone,

Came across an article today and it has a list of Canadian cities where backyard hens are legal. Even includes the by-law numbers for most of them.
Here is the list:

City of Vancouver, BC (ss. 7.15-7.16, Animal Control By-law, No. 9150);
    City of Victoria, BC (Declaration)
    District of Saanich, BC (s. 38, Animals Bylaw, 2002, No. 8556);
    District of Oak Bay, BC (ss. 26-28.2, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 4013);
    Township of Esquimalt, BC (Part 6, Animal Bylaw 2002, No. 2495);
    City of Richmond, BC (Part 3, Animal Control Regulation Bylaw, No. 7932);
    Town of Gibsons, BC (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Surrey, BC (Part 4(B), s. 7, Zoning By-law, No. 12000);
    City of New Westminster, BC (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Rossland, BC (s. 9.1, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 2357);
    City of Airdre, AB (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Grand Prairie, AB (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    Town of Peace River, AB (Part 1, s.1, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 1832);
    City of Fort Saskatchewan, AB (“chicken” is included in the definition of “domestic animal”, Animal Control Bylaw, C1-02);
    City of Waterloo, ON (s. 8 and Schedule “C”, Animal Control By-law, No. 09-047);
    City of Guelph, ON (s. 1, Exotic and Non-Domestic Animals By-law, No. (1985)-11952);
    City of Brampton, ON (s. 11, Animal Control By-law, No. 261-93);
    City of Niagara Falls, ON (Schedule “C”, Animal Control By-law, No. 2002-129);
    City of Quinte West, ON (Backyard Hens Licensing and Control By-law, No. 11-138);
    City of Gatineau, QB (Chapter 6, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 183-2005) (in French only); and
    City of Whitehorse, YT (s. 49, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 2001-01).

North Vancouver was just approved last week as well.

Here is the article for reference:

http://ablawg.ca/2012/09/19/fowl-play-a … gislation/

If anyone knows of any other municipalities (and by that I mean cities where houses are zoned as residential) that allow backyard hens - please let me know. If you have a by-law number - please provide that too.

If you also live, or have a contact that has chickens in Guelph, Niagara Falls, Brampton or Kingston - I might be interested in getting in touch with them as I am working on a research paper for a school project.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you like the list. My wish is that we add a lot more to it over the next 5 years.

Steve :)

My wife and I are researching to begin our chicken adventure in 2012. We have 2 acres of property located just outside of the city. Bees are also a desire in 2012 as well and we have multiple flower gardens to keep them entertained. Long-term dream is to have a goat, goose and maybe even a llama - only because my wife won't let me have a bison. Owners of 5 cats - 1 male and 4 female.

#2 2012-09-26 03:38:31

debbiej
I Love A.C.E.

Re: List of municipalities in Canada that allow backyard hens

Hi Steve,   I hear Parksville here on Vancouver Island now allows Back yard chickens  :thumbsup:

Russian Orloffs,  Euskal Oiloas, Silkies,  Le Fleche, Isa Browns, Guinea Fowl, 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#3 2012-09-26 14:56:32

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

Hey Debbie,

Are you a part of the Village Vancouver Coop Co-op?? Found them when digging around for support in BC. Also the Fraser Valley Chicken Fanciers Association (FVCFA).

I also found a gentle man named Duncan Fraser who builds a custom coop called the "Vancooper". I have reached out to him and am supposed to call him one night this week to chat.

I would lie to network with as many people as I can on the West Coast because it seems they have their act together more so than the rest of the country. If there are any other groups or contacts you can send my way - please do.

Thanks,

Steve

My wife and I are researching to begin our chicken adventure in 2012. We have 2 acres of property located just outside of the city. Bees are also a desire in 2012 as well and we have multiple flower gardens to keep them entertained. Long-term dream is to have a goat, goose and maybe even a llama - only because my wife won't let me have a bison. Owners of 5 cats - 1 male and 4 female.

#4 2012-09-26 22:32:33

spreerider

Port Alberni BC allows back yard chickens now.

#5 2012-09-27 00:05:21

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

Ok sorry it has been said twice now, and I wanted to clarify, what do you both mean by "allowing another forum"? I feel like I am missing something. LOL.

#6 2012-09-29 01:05:53

spreerider

port alberni allows a few chickens in town, my god i am way too sick to type on my phone :oops:

#7 2012-09-29 01:07:30

SagerSilkies
Growing Member
Website

eatmorechicken wrote:

Hi everyone,

Came across an article today and it has a list of Canadian cities where backyard hens are legal. Even includes the by-law numbers for most of them.
Here is the list:

City of Vancouver, BC (ss. 7.15-7.16, Animal Control By-law, No. 9150);
    City of Victoria, BC (Declaration)
    District of Saanich, BC (s. 38, Animals Bylaw, 2002, No. 8556);
    District of Oak Bay, BC (ss. 26-28.2, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 4013);
    Township of Esquimalt, BC (Part 6, Animal Bylaw 2002, No. 2495);
    City of Richmond, BC (Part 3, Animal Control Regulation Bylaw, No. 7932);
    Town of Gibsons, BC (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Surrey, BC (Part 4(B), s. 7, Zoning By-law, No. 12000);
    City of New Westminster, BC (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Rossland, BC (s. 9.1, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 2357);
    City of Airdre, AB (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    City of Grand Prairie, AB (not explicitly prohibited in bylaws);
    Town of Peace River, AB (Part 1, s.1, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 1832);
    City of Fort Saskatchewan, AB (“chicken” is included in the definition of “domestic animal”, Animal Control Bylaw, C1-02);
    City of Waterloo, ON (s. 8 and Schedule “C”, Animal Control By-law, No. 09-047);
    City of Guelph, ON (s. 1, Exotic and Non-Domestic Animals By-law, No. (1985)-11952);
    City of Brampton, ON (s. 11, Animal Control By-law, No. 261-93);
    City of Niagara Falls, ON (Schedule “C”, Animal Control By-law, No. 2002-129);
    City of Quinte West, ON (Backyard Hens Licensing and Control By-law, No. 11-138);
    City of Gatineau, QB (Chapter 6, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 183-2005) (in French only); and
    City of Whitehorse, YT (s. 49, Animal Control Bylaw, No. 2001-01).

North Vancouver was just approved last week as well.

Here is the article for reference:

http://ablawg.ca/2012/09/19/fowl-play-a … gislation/

If anyone knows of any other municipalities (and by that I mean cities where houses are zoned as residential) that allow backyard hens - please let me know. If you have a by-law number - please provide that too.

If you also live, or have a contact that has chickens in Guelph, Niagara Falls, Brampton or Kingston - I might be interested in getting in touch with them as I am working on a research paper for a school project.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you like the list. My wish is that we add a lot more to it over the next 5 years.

Steve :)

i think u forgot Kingston ontario

#8 2012-09-29 01:44:33

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

Hey Sagersilkies!! It is not my list - I posted what I found from a blog posting. I included Kingston when I was asking for contacts, but yes I should have said that outright - we cannot ignore Kingston!!! :)

#9 2012-09-29 02:03:29

SagerSilkies
Growing Member
Website

eatmorechicken wrote:

Hey Sagersilkies!! It is not my list - I posted what I found from a blog posting. I included Kingston when I was asking for contacts, but yes I should have said that outright - we cannot ignore Kingston!!! :)

i hear ya steve how is that otawa petition going

#10 2012-09-29 02:12:32

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

It was at 1009 when I checked earlier today. Nice to see it top 1000 finally.

#11 2012-09-29 02:31:09

SagerSilkies
Growing Member
Website

eatmorechicken wrote:

It was at 1009 when I checked earlier today. Nice to see it top 1000 finally.

this might be a stupid question but whats it mean that we hit 1000 are they allowed backyardchicks now

#12 2012-09-29 02:56:32

eatmorechicken
Growing Member

Oh it means absolutely nothing I think it was just a goal or a source of mental achievement. We did add over 100 more signatures so it will help in the long run.

Board footer