AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2013-02-08 14:48:54

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

dog with arthritis

Has anyone had success treating arthritis. Our daughter dropped her dog off on her way to mexico..  8 year old golden retriever I am appalled at his condition. He is seriously overweight. He was stiff at first but after running around the farm for a couple of days he can hardly get up from laying down especially in the morning. It is like his whole personality has changed. He was a happy ,fun loving, playful guy. Now he is sleeping most of the day as if he were 13 instead of eight. I think he also has yeast in his ears and his coat is a mess. When she gets back I am going to advise her to get him to a vet but in the meantime is there anything I can do to ease his pain and help him out? I have noticed a growing trend in families that live in the city. So many dogs are not getting walked and exercised enough. People are running around taking there kids to this class and that event. Life is so busy and when they finally have a few minutes there is always the tv and the computer. The dog gets left in the dust. We have been trying to fence our property completely so that our kids dogs can come here a couple of days a week and be free to just be dogs.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#2 2013-02-08 14:52:51

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Re: dog with arthritis

Losing weight is obviously needed.

Glucosamine sulfate did wonders for our Black Lab.  Probably bought her an extra 2 years.

Black Ameraucana

#3 2013-02-08 15:20:30

andbab
A.C.E. Addicted

I have been feeding my girl Acana pacific blend, it has really helped her. The fish oils really make her coat soft too. Glucosamine really helps too, a friend of mine buys it from the pharmacy and crushes the tablets for her dog.

Loving my little funny farm.

#4 2013-02-08 15:26:06

Alicia G
Growing Member
Website

I used MSM powder with my old dog. Worked great. You can pick it up at the vets, but it's best to find a local tack shop and get it there, much more pure. Has no side affects and it natural. you can use the gel too on spots where the aching is the worst, I use it too! Works wonders :)

"Here's a curse for you, may all your bacon burn" ~ Howls Moving Castle

#5 2013-02-08 15:30:35

heda gobbler
Website

Agree about city dogs' lifestyles.  But also modern breeds - most popular for families now are those dogs who can lie around and not get crazy with NO exercise, but I think as a result turn into fireside rugs pretty quickly. As nice as Golden Retrievers are I think they as a breed have suffered terribly from their popularity as a family pet breed.  Some lines of Labradors too.

Glucosamine question - is the human grade stuff just as good for dogs - I've heard various things?  It seems to be a lot less expensive and dog is very good about taking it with a little canned food.  Have yet to see an improvement though.

Blue Slate turkeys - Beltsville Small White Turkeys - Shetland sheep - Highland cattle
Chilcotin Special landrace pigs- White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#6 2013-02-08 16:36:47

heda gobbler
Website

Thanks authentic farm, that's very helpful.  My Australian Shepherd has been tossed, kicked and stomped on over the years (by livestock, not me) so I think his injuries are catching up with him. He is still high functioning but like me is a little stiff in the hips first thing!

Blue Slate turkeys - Beltsville Small White Turkeys - Shetland sheep - Highland cattle
Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#7 2013-02-08 16:58:11

Dan Smith
Website

Do you have any "Muscle Back pain" pills from Costco? That will help not only take away the pain but also relax the stiff muscels which it probably has from getting way more exercize that it normally gets. I would also start giving it a capsule of Cod Liver Oil each day which is great for helping dogs and humans alike with joint inflamation.   I have found that the best way to give a dog a pill is to use one hand to open and hold open the upper jaw and with the three fingers including the pinky finger on the other hand hold open the lower jaw and pull the tongue outwards and then with the thumb and index finger of that same hand have the pill and drop it down the throat or at least at the base of the tongue and when you let go the tongue will automattically draw the pill down the dogs throat. This method never fails. Have done it hundreds of times. Have tried hiding it in food and sometimes you find the pill on the floor somewhere.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#8 2013-02-08 17:06:54

Dan Smith
Website

My nuerosurgen has told me that the jury is out on whether the Glucosamine can rebuild cartilage. Half of patients and many doctors believe that it can rebuild as long as you have cartilage there to build upon but where the cartlage is warn completely away it cannot create new cartlage. My cartlage had warn completely away on my big toe so there is nothing that could rebuild it but the doc told me that if I took Condroitin and Glucossamine that there is a chance that my cartlage on the other foot could rebuild something like taking calcium for bones that are low in calcium.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#9 2013-02-08 17:29:14

heda gobbler
Website

Thanks Dan - are the back pain pills for me or the dog? I find if I do my lower back exercises things improve over time for me - the worst pain is when I go away and am NOT hefting 20 kg bags of feed several times a day!

Both my dogs are very obliging and thus far take pills when I offer them THEN get a chaser of dog food or old sausage.  So far haven't seen a dropped pill and I've looked.

I'm not a great believer in glucosamine for me, but am willing to believe it might help others.

Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#10 2013-02-08 17:37:43

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

heda gobbler wrote:

Thanks Dan - are the back pain pills for me or the dog? I find if I do my lower back exercises things improve over time for me - the worst pain is when I go away and am NOT hefting 20 kg bags of feed several times a day!

Both my dogs are very obliging and thus far take pills when I offer them THEN get a chaser of dog food or old sausage.  So far haven't seen a dropped pill and I've looked.

I'm not a great believer in glucosamine for me, but am willing to believe it might help others.

I use it.  Started getting pain in my fingers.  Started taking glucosamine and it went away (over a couple of weeks).  heard about a scientific study where they concluded that glucosamine doesn't hurt but they couldn't see where it helped either.  "This is bullocks!", I thought and stopped taking it.  the pain came back.  Started taking it again.  The pain went away.

I just used the stuff from the pharmacy for our Black Lab.  I'd put the pill on the back of her tongue and hold her mouth shut and she'd take them no problem.  I was told that it had to be Glucosamine sulfate for dogs.  Don't know if it's true but that's what we used.  I was told it would take about 6 weeks to see an improvement.  That was wrong.  I could see an improvement within 2 weeks.

Black Ameraucana

#11 2013-02-08 18:31:34

serjay04
A.C.E. Addicted

I think glucosamine is a great plan.  But a word of caution though when we got my old guy he had hip problems and stiffness was really bad so I put him on human glucosamine and he reacted with bad bad diarrhoea.  We then tried recovery but the same thing.  There are different types of glucosamine MSM etc but we've found the only way we can get it into our old guy without horrendous tummy issues is in his food.  We feed senior Orijen food and it has really made a huge difference for him.  Hubby bought cheap food and within days he'd stiffened up again so he stays on his good food.  We have 2 other large breed dogs and they are also on Orijen with a lower glucosamine amount.

I was warned not to give baby aspirin to my old guy because it can cause more health problems so I'd seek advice from vet first but certainly a bath, brushing and clean ears will make him feel much much better :thumbsup:  He probably really needs the exercise and although it hurts us to go to the gym or work out in other ways we get stiff but it's good for us :thumbsup:

#12 2013-02-08 18:35:38

dogzandcatz
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I had the best results with fish oil and recovery with my dog when young and not really  showing signs yet but getting on in years  - and then when it got severe, he would be able to run and play and get around like you would not believe with accupuncture treatments.  A vet at our clinic did accupuncture - and while I was not sure if could possibly help, I gave it a try, and it shocked me with how effective it is -

Also, medicam at a lower than normal dose with gabapentin did wonders.  You need a vet for this treatment...good luck - glad you are helping this dog!

Enjoying life with a maremma, a collie, and pyr cross (RIP), numerous rescued cats
Chickens include Lavender Orpington, Americaunas, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and a  few Olive Eggers.  Recently added two fabulous Belgian Hares thanks to BC Buttercup.  The chicken addiction is growing and soon it will be time to move:)

#13 2013-02-08 18:46:39

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I am sorry but I would not be giving your dog "muscle back pain" pills from costco.  Those are a combo of an NSAID and methocarbanol which is a muscle relaxant.  The NSAID is usually tylenol or Advil and Advil is not safe in dogs.  Methocarbanol is not indicated for arthritis treatment.  Its a fast way to burn a hole in your dogs stomach.

You can use small amount of asparin safely.  Your best bet would be a trip to the vet and a consult for some arthritis medication.  Metacam and Previcox and great and safe for long term use. There are also cartrophen which are weekly injections for 4 weeks then once a month that can help as well.

My fav product it recovery.  It has glucosamine, MSM, Vit e and C which are good antiinflamatory vitamins.  It gets a little pricey for a big dog but you can get the horse version and dose it out for a dog.

There are 2 types of glucosamine.  Glucosamine sulfate and glucoasamine hcl.  There are lots of differing opinions on which one has better bioavailability in dogs when taken orally.  If you use a human one thats fine but if its not making a difference then trying the other type might.

You can ask for ear cleanser OTC from your local vet and that might help.  Clean and dry his ears well.  If you think they are yeasty you can always rub a little canesten in them Just not too far only what you can see on the outside).

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#14 2013-02-08 18:52:33

The Fat Ewe
A.C.E. Addicted

Hmmm, aspirin and glucosamine may help the symptoms, but not the problem.

I too have a dog that is sore and stiff. He was that way when I got him 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 2. The vet finds nothing wrong with him, but I think his difficulty comes from the dog food. It is GMO grain based. People have the same problems. When I feed Harley meat and vegetables, he gains weight, eats more, and is more robust. If he has only the choice of commercial dog food, he eats just enough to stay alive, is sore, stiff and in pain. The incidence of cancer and disease in pets is similar to people - rampant. Perhaps humanity needs to take a good hard look at the state of the world. Recently, human DNA, has been added to genetically alter RICE.

So, perhaps along with the remediation methods, pain killers and what you can immediately do, try feeding the dog HIS natural diet, which would not be grain based. Boiled potatoes, vegetables, and meat about sums it up. Dogs will eat berries willingly, so perhaps a few blueberries or saskatoons thrown in, and maybe some fish oil, would create a healthier dog. If you have excess eggs, cook them to help the dog digest the protein and keep the shells in the mix. I fed my dogs cooked eggs with a generous helping of garlic this morning. The garlic keeps the worms at bay, does not kill them, but they dislike garlic and exit the inhospitable environment.

One of the dogs I rescued last year has a terribly matted, dirty coat, plus a smelly infection under all of that. I treated the wound, gave her penicillin, but could not shave her because it was too cold outside, so slowly, with scissors, removed the mats as they were growing out, leaving the fur long enough to provide some protection from the winter. This helped her overall feeling of just wanting to be alive, rather than scratching, itching and being miserable, plus infected and toxic. Since that dog you have is an indoor dog, you might be able to clip him right down?

Good luck with the pooch. Solutions are what he needs.

#15 2013-02-08 19:02:36

Dan Smith
Website

I was suggesting Costco Muscle back pain not for Authritis but for sore muscels and Cod liver oil for authritis. I have been using muscel back pain pills for decades and have never had a stomach problem but I only use them for very short term because they allow the muscels to relax so they and other body parts can start the healing process. I know an old cougar guide whose 13 year old red bone hound dog was crippled and limping for years and he was told by an old home steader to give a teaspoon of cod liver oil a day and so he did and after a few months his dog was jumping around like a puppy. He is now a believer and so am I and have been using cod liver oil on my dogs and have never had an authritis problem with any of my old dogs or young ones. It is also good for their coats and we know that the omega fatty acids are very good and much needed.

Board footer