AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2013-02-12 23:00:56

ChelseaDagger
Growing Member

Scruffy Tail Feathers

I don't show my dove, he's just a pet.  Still, I find that even when he is fully feathered out and fat and cute between moulting, his tails feathers are always a mess.  He breaks them and drags them in dirt and they're always tattered at the ends.  Once in a while he'll lose one and the replacement will look nice and white and round at the tip, but only for a week before he's found something else to muck them up again.

I tried washing him in Borax.  I even tried shampooing and conditioning just his tail feathers and that didn't seem to help either.   I'm not sure what else to do to make him look less scruffy.

Also doesn't help that he's always got a nice fresh pan of warm water sitting out every day and sure that's good for drinking, but when it comes to rare bath he takes on his own once a month, only a sink full of dirty dishes will do.

I was wondering how folks here keep their doves and pigeons looking smooth and shiny and show quality?  I feel like my bird could stand to look a lot less like the human teenage boy he seems to think he is.  ^v^

Board footer