AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY NINE HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2013-03-30 01:37:30

Schipperkesue

Just rendered some rabbit fat-Now I need a tallow soap recipe-Anyone?

Today has been a very busy day.  Right now I am completing my last task.  I am rendering the rabbit fat from the rabbits I processed today.  Now I would like to use the rabbit tallow to make some lye soap. 

I have made lye soap but not for a long time.  Has anyone made soap with rabbit fat?  Apparently it is similar to beef tallow.  I would love a recipe or a link!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#2 2013-03-30 02:56:45

TraceyDW
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Just rendered some rabbit fat-Now I need a tallow soap recipe-Anyone?

I've just made a bunch of cold processed soap.  I remember reading all about tallow but I can't remember finding a recipe, per say.  I was just going to try a milk recipe but substitute some tallow for about 20% or so of the total oils.  I will use this lye calculator
https://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php
If I try it before you I will let you know how it turns out. :)

I love my husband, my kids, my critters and living.

#3 2013-03-30 04:02:55

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I never would have thought to use rabbit fat, what a great ider! I am waiting to use some of my lard in the future.

Anyway, here is a basic tallow lye cold process soap recipe...use grams or oz, not both

16 oz (454grams)  tallow
2 oz (57 grams)   sodium hydroxide
5 oz (142 grams) water

melt tallow and heat to temp of 130F (54.4C)
Pour measured amount of Sodium Hydroxide into measured amount of water, stir until desolved.  Leave until temp settles at about 130F (54.4C) Wear eye protection and gloves.
Add sodium/water to fats and stir carefully.  Stir intermitently until mixture traces (dribble some off of spoon and leaves a line in mix).  Add colouring/essential oils as required.
Stir and pour into mould.
Cover with towel or blanket and leave to set for 24 hrs or until hard.  Wearing a pair of goloves, turn soap out of mold and cut into bars.  Cover soap with blanket to insulate and leave to cure 4 weeks before using.

Be sure to let us all know how it turns out!!

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs;  wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful babes!! 
www.mountainharvestfarm.com

#4 2013-03-30 07:08:31

Pipestone
A.C.E. Addicted

What do you want?  Laundry soap, hand soap (cinnamon, honey, paprika)?

One farmer, one husband, 6 kids, Buckeyes, Blue Silkies, Silver Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhaubens, Blue Wheaten Americaunas, Partridge Chanteclers, Russian Orloffs,
1 Great Pyrenees,  1 Anatolian Shepherd x Maremmma, ? cats. 5 bee hives, and ridiculous number of experimental fruit trees.

#5 2013-03-30 13:37:06

Schipperkesue

Hand soap!  Thank-you MH! 

Now I just need to find lye.  15 years ago when I made soap out could buy it in the Superstore.  Not any more I doubt.

#6 2013-03-30 14:32:42

AuntieEvil

You can often order it through a hardware store. We ended up buying a case of 4, and MissieK and I split it.
They want to be sure you aren't operating a meth lab. At least I think that's what the guy said they use it for.
An option is using hardwood ash and running rain water through it to make potassium hydroxide. It gives a liquid soap though.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#7 2013-03-30 14:37:20

Schipperkesue

Yeah, Meth wasn't so popular 15 years ago.

#8 2013-03-30 14:59:34

appway

Home Hardware has Lye

Have , Blue Andalusian's Basque Hens Maradunna   , Delaware, Black and Blue Sumatra, a Few Turkens, Black Tail White Japanese Black Spanish, Royal Palms,Oregon Gray, Silver Dapple, Mottlked Black, Red Penciled, and Penciled Turkeys
Show Dogs and Poultry

#9 2013-03-30 16:56:52

Schipperkesue

Here are some pics...

Rabbit tallow.  This is from 12 rabbits.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/Schipperkesue/8fe3f44b12cc9cfe9450139f7220db4b.jpg

Rabbit cracklings.  This is from 4 rabbits.  The dogs and chickens love them. 

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/Schipperkesue/88b3d5e9e5de095ef3d9f009779050e6.jpg

#10 2013-03-30 18:06:12

TraceyDW
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

appway wrote:

Home Hardware has Lye

Yup, that's where I got mine.

I love my husband, my kids, my critters and living.

#11 2013-03-30 18:45:46

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Me too, HH, comes in a big 4 gallon jug

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs;  wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful babes!! 
www.mountainharvestfarm.com

Board footer