AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2009-07-30 04:53:11

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

ivomec, ivermectin dosage

Hello, I have searched the forum and haven't found a satisfactory answer, but I am really tired tonight.  I am going to de-parasite my birds and I am going to use ivermectin pour-on for the adults and just dust the younger chicks and turkey poults.  How much ivermectin do I put on the back of the neck of each bird?

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#2 2009-07-30 06:29:05

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: ivomec, ivermectin dosage

Do you mean Eprinex? 

I have only ever used Eprinex. I use an eye dropper. Half an eyedropper squirted onto back of neck, on the SKIN, for regular birds, one quarter dropper for banties.

#3 2009-07-30 06:54:23

naughtykids

Our Vet recommended  Eprinex at .12 cc (ml) per adult chicken either topically, (part feathers and drop on back of neck), or given orally; however, he cautioned that the use of Eprinex on chickens is off label and there haven't been the required studies to know how long for egg withdrawal -he said typically it is a couple of weeks for other animals, so he thought 2-4 weeks before using eggs for human consumption.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

#4 2009-07-30 13:53:09

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Interesting...since Eprinex is used in dairy and meat deer since it has zero withdrawl time. He is correct to say that using it on poultry is off label use. No one has been able to tell me wether off label use is illegal. If you are selling commercially you might run into problems. If these birds and eggs are for personal use, you have more leeway.

WHen I worm with piperazine I DO NOT discard eggs. Why? Piperazine is what our moms gave us when we were kids, and what I give my own kid if I think she needs it. I have heard, but never been able to substantiate, that Eprinex is used on humans in third world countries to rid them of parasites.  If a dairy cow  producing milk for public consumption can be treated with Eprinex and her milk not be discarded, do you really have to discard eggs?

Discard if you feel comfortable doing so, many people do. But I would like to know if any Eprinex shows up in any way inside an egg. ANd what affect it might have on humans after it's been poached, scrambled or hard boiled, since we rarely eat our eggs raw. But for getting rid of lice and mites, it's excellent!

#5 2009-07-30 14:51:20

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

here is the link to the topic of mites and it talks about different treatments for parasites http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … hp?id=2976

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#6 2009-07-30 17:31:14

naughtykids

oops you're right Uno -thanks -it is the Ivomex drench that I wait for two weeks re sheep.
I'm not sure why the vet was so worried about the Eprinex- :confused: maybe because of it being used off label? he is an older country vet :-) -he actually wrote  on the label of the bottle he filled for me: "egg withdrawel uncertain -suggest 30 days".

Donnelly reminded me that our other Island vet who presented at the poultry club meeting thought it would be ok to continue to use the eggs without any withholding. But I agree -it would be better to error on the side of caution if one was selling the eggs or poultry.

Interesting about the Piperazine -do you use it as a regular dewormer for any of your animals?
Also re deworming
-I've been alternating between different dewormers for some of my other animals, and have read that we should only deworm based on signs or stool sample findings? Is this the same with poultry?
Thanks

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

#7 2009-07-31 00:23:34

klorinth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Naughtykids,

As a healthcare provider I like the question. Personally I think yes it does make more long-term sense to de-worm on a signs and symptoms basis as opposed to a schedule. I look at this in relation to antibiotic use. You should never be prophylactically treating with antibiotics unless there is a long history of chronic, non-resolving infections. The regular and unnecessary use of them has been a major reason for the development of resistant strains, especially in sub-therapeutic doses. The same thing is mostly the same with parasites. It will take longer for resistance to develop, because of the slower mutation rates in parasites compared to bacteria, but it will eventually happen. They will adapt if given the right conditions and enough time.

Norrbottenspets, Akbash, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Chantecler, White Chantecler, Partridge Chantecler, Ameraucana, Beltsville Small White Turkey, Shetland and Texel Sheep.

"If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying." Shantideva

#8 2009-08-08 12:32:39

chitaquarott
A.C.E. Addicted

What about the ivomec injectable?? Can that be topically/orally  used? All the critters here be done in fall, with something and need some sound advice vets just don't seem to know.

Home of dark brahma standards, black langshan,  ameracauna, buff orpington, coronation sussex, australorp, bourbon red turkeys, naragansett,  jersey giants, sebastopol geese, two quarter horses and Berkshire pigs and highland heifers

Please email directly vs. Pm Please.   chitaquarott@ripnet.com

#9 2009-08-08 16:10:55

Chickie Vickie
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I am not sure about using the injectable, I would hate to try and worm chickens orally, I picture a heck of a mess and trying to get a syringe into each chicken would be hard and messy..LOL... I just mix my pour on   1 to 10 ivermectic vs water and put it in a spray bottle and do the chickens when they are sleeping in the almost darkness.. you just walk up to them , take the spray mixture and do a few points on each bird up close to the bird .. under the wings and on top of vent area( right next to the skin)  give a couple sprays and away you go,onto the next one.. its super easy and it works!!

Living the good life with kids and critters home on the range.
Heritage Poultry
www.roundcreekquarterhorses.com

#10 2009-08-13 17:40:00

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thanks Chickie Vickie.

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#11 2009-10-22 02:11:56

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

uno wrote:

Do you mean Eprinex? 

I have only ever used Eprinex. I use an eye dropper. Half an eyedropper squirted onto back of neck, on the SKIN, for regular birds, one quarter dropper for banties.

I think that some better clarification on amounts to use on full sized birds and smaller birds would be wonderful.  In the following post below (#3), it was said that the vet indicated to give .12 cc per chicken.  I wonder if that was a typo -- .12 cc could hardly even be measured, or, better yet, if it is not a typo, how in earth could one measure .12 cc?  I would seriously like to know.  Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#12 2009-10-22 03:11:44

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Great, the good answers, thank you.  I have noticed on one big hen some clusters of lice eggs at the base of some of the feathers.  They have had use of D.E. dust bath areas for about a month, but I don't think that the D.E. has been doing the trick of ridding of lice.  Does anyone know if the Eprinex will kill these lice eggs?  Should I pull those feathers out that have the egg clusters?  New to this lice thing this year, never noticed it before and I have dusted now and then with the powder for lice, guess it didn't work well, or I didn't do it correctly.  Also wondered if the use of Eprinex kills the lice eggs attached to the feather shaft base?  I have purchased Eprinex from a large animal vet, should have enough for a lifetime.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#13 2009-10-22 03:17:10

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

cbrookkelly wrote:

Eprinex pour on....the blue stuff

Lubricate your syringe with Vaseline cause the rubber dries up on the plunger and makes it difficult to use.:)

1cc = 1ml

Bantams 2-3 lbs...0.1cc
Standards 6-7 lbs...0.3cc

0.1 cc per 2.2 lbs

Turkey toms...25lbs...1.2cc
Turkey hens...12lbs....0.7cc

Guineas...3-4lbs 0.2cc

I have also used this ratio of 0.1cc per 2.2 lbs for ducks.

Okay everyone, PRINT this and tape it to your record book!!

#14 2009-10-22 03:32:12

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Chickie's Mom.  Done!!!

#15 2009-10-22 03:36:08

Labman
A.C.E. Addicted

Record Book,Record Book... I thought mine had been sealed!

3 RIR, 1 B.Orps., 12 Babcock 300s, 5 Part. Chanties, 3 B.Chanties, 2 Easter eggers.
The Boys= 1 Part. Chantie., 1 Barred Rock, 1 Crested ?.
2 Labs.,1 Bichon Frise, 1 Lazy EX-Tom, 1 Dbl maned Blue-eyed Lionhead Doe, 1 Blk/Wht. EX Buck, 8 Ring-necked Doves and .... a variety of Exotic Pheasants.

Board footer