AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2009-10-22 04:06:37

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Re: ivomec, ivermectin dosage

CynthiaM - Eprinex won't kill eggs, but will kill all the hatched pest thingies as soon as soon as they feed.

Last edited by ipf (2009-10-22 04:08:36)

#17 2009-10-22 04:13:06

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

ipf, good to know.  Those egg clusters are ugileee things.  Does just one lice make a cluster like that?  If you don't know, does anyone?  I am sure others have seen these egg clusters.  So curious about things.  Only saw about 6 feather shafts affected, I wanted to pull them all out, eeks.....have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#18 2009-10-22 12:51:32

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

I use Ivomec Invermectin and the dosage for that is:
Bantams   .25cc
Standards .5 cc

Different than Kelly's dosages, not sure if because its a different product or what but these dosages work for me. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#19 2009-10-22 13:47:04

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

A single louse can lay 50 to 300 eggs at a time, in a single mass of eggs at the base of the feather.
Main difference between Ivermectin and Eprinex is withdrawal time - a couple of weeks for Ivermectin, none for Eprinex.

Last edited by ipf (2009-10-22 13:47:28)

#20 2009-10-22 13:56:01

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about withdrawl time if my flock was infested with lice!  However that is a good point and ppl should be aware of it.  The feed lot in Regina doesn't carry Eprinex.
Also make sure you treat again a couple weeks later to get all the newly hatched eggs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#21 2009-10-22 14:03:13

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Eprinex is only available from vets.

#22 2009-10-22 14:24:35

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Prairie Chick wrote:

Also make sure you treat again a couple weeks later to get all the newly hatched eggs.

So, another query, I thought that Eprinex stayed active within the bird's system for a period of time.  Those baby lice would die because of the eprinex.  How long does this product remain viable to kill lice after applied.

Lice feed on the feather shaft, right?  They don't suck the blood of the chicken, right?  Question.  Does the feather shaft have the product speaking about here in it?  I am rather naive when it comes to some things, guess I need to study more, winter is coming....smiling. 

Disgusting that one lice can lay 50 to 300 eggs, no wonder they can get out of control so badly, ich.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#23 2009-10-22 14:34:11

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Yes, it's a systemic, and persists in the bird for a long time. Not quite sure how long - more than a couple of weeks though, and I've gone for many months without needing to retreat.

Last edited by ipf (2009-10-22 14:34:36)

#24 2009-10-22 14:58:34

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

I got my Eprinex from a vet in the Fraser Valley a few days ago.  When I was at the Pharmasave yesterday (handles lots of livestock products), I saw Eprinex on the shelf.  When I was getting the Eprinex from the vet that receptionist at the vet's office told me that this Pharmasave in Cloverdale came the closest to handling products that only vets carry. I was surprised to see Eprinex there, but it was.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#25 2009-10-22 15:34:08

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

The feed lot in Regina carries it but they only had the paste when i was looking.  So you can get it from other sources other than a vet.

#26 2009-10-24 04:33:18

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

One 'squirt' of Eprinex will remain active in your bird long enough to kill several generations of lice. It's amazing.

As stated earlier, I use the very accurate (wink, wink) eye dropper method, because I too found that something in the Eprinex made my little syringe seize right up. The rubber tipped, glass eyedropper sucks up just the right amount (my personal idea of just the right amount) without malfunctioning. Despite my questionable measuring methods, I have never killed a bird with Eprinex.

BUt since hanging the pest strip in my hen house way back early summer, I have not had to dose for bugs! If you have an enclosed hen house that isn't barn sized, those pest strips provide a hands- off bug management strategy that has worked pretty well for me. I wouldn't have believed had I not seen it for myself. BUt I'm still keeping that bottle of Eprinex...cost more than any wine I've had lately!

#27 2010-10-17 06:57:02

DoubleSSRanch
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Can u use the injectable type? We use the injectible type ivomec to de worm the horses. Works great.

Director with the Fort Feeders Co-op Association, Happy to answer any questions about what we do!
Full time cattle farmer
Beef sales

#28 2010-10-17 14:50:03

coopslave
I Love A.C.E.

The injectable is for oral, that is what we do for our horses too, I find the pour on much easier for chickens.  Uno uses an eye droper, I use a very small syringe, like a 3cc, and I am able to be pretty accurate in the dosage.  I prefer Eprinex, but I use whatever pour on we are using for the cattle at the time.  A little goes a long way and I have never lost birds to an over dose.  I think you would have to be pretty heavy handed for that to happen.

<")3 quiet hen      >")3 noisy hen

#29 2010-10-17 15:03:18

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I would not use injectable ivomec on chickens and it is off label use for horses since it can founder them.  In the early eighties, we used an injectable wormer for horses and it seemed to be the best thing since sliced bread until people started reporting some horrible reactions and it was taken off the market.  I am very careful about horses since they are not as resilient as cows to off label use and injection mistakes and such.  I think I mix ivomec 1 to 10 with water in a spray bottle (Chickie Vickie knows the exact dose) and give two squirts under each wing for standard breeds and one squirt for smaller chickens and bantams.

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#30 2010-10-17 15:13:47

coopslave
I Love A.C.E.

I do not inject it into horses and never would.  I just use the injectable orally and have for years.  It works great.  Many injectables can be used orally, bute and ace are a couple of other things that can be used that way.

<")3 quiet hen      >")3 noisy hen

Board footer