AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2013-06-17 07:24:20

JonnyAnvil
A.C.E. Addicted

How to spot a Spammer, or a Scam Post

Hey everyone,

With the ever growing popularity of ACE, there are more and more spammer's signing up and posting on the boards.
Often advertising a product or sharing a link to a website and such, or asking for help.

Scams are not just limited to emails, con artists are finding new and creative ways to lure in unsuspecting individuals and take advantage of them.

The newest threat that is becoming more and more common,  Hackers, with the intent of stealing your personal information are creating websites, and drawing in individuals by posting links to their fake site on forums, often posing as younger individuals looking for advice or assistance.

Many times these individuals post as wanting or needing help, looking for sympathy or looking for advice and posting a link.
Just by clicking on that link can be harmful to your security, you could be surrendering all sorts of personal information, etc.

There are a few ways to sort out the Trash, and spot a scammer / spammer.

Here are some tips that can help:

Most Spam is posted by newly registered users, often posting a short message and a link to a website, and then nothing else, no reply no further posts.
Their Job is already done, they have gotten your attention and wait for you to make the step to investigate their link.

Users that on their first post are offering a product on Discount or Sale, ie shoes, clothing or a service, once again no further comments or posts.
Clicking on their link in not recommended.

One of the best ways to help you to determine if someone posting is a spammer or scammer is to copy the text in their first post, and search it on Google.
9/10 times if it is a spammer they have just cookie cutter'ed their text onto previous or other forums. Google searching the text will show up in the search results and you can investigate to see if they are just cookie cutting their way across the fabric of the cyber society, leaving their holes where honest people fall in as victims.

Don't become a victim of Spam, or a Scam.

When it doubt call them out!

~Breeding for 2015: Show Quality Large Fowl Light Sussex (Samis Lines). Coronation Sussex, Buff Sussex, Silver Sussex. Also breeding Top Quality Black, Blue & Buff Orpingtons~
Ridley Bronze Turkeys (Samis Lines)

#2 2013-06-17 07:52:30

Qualicum Chick
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: How to spot a Spammer, or a Scam Post

A different forum I belong to avoids the spammers by requiring that the first 3 posts of a new person be approved before allowing the new member to post on their own. Seems to work well.

Live in Qualicum Beach, B.C., have a loving and patient husband, 3 wonderful dogs, 1 clever Maroon Bellied Conure, 2 sweet Bourke's Parakeets, 1 African Grey, 1 Jenday Conure, and a whole 'mess' of various chickens and ducks!

#3 2013-06-17 09:41:02

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

ACE is not immune to spammers.  The Admin or Mods check out each new registration to see if they are on the "Spammers List"  If so, they are banned immediately, most often before even making their first post.  If I am the one to find them, I delete their membership entirely. 

ACE did try to do manual approvals like the one suggested above.  The problem is that we get about 10 new registrations a day and there is just not enough of us to police each post.

The very few spammers that get a first post onto ACE are usually found by a member that is online at the time.  They report the post and a Moderator or Admin will see the report and deal with the spammer, just like Jonny did in the early morning hours.  I received a "report" at 2:16 AM.  I was not online at the time but I did see it when I woke up shortly after that.  I got online, deleted the post and member.   Now that I am awake for the day, I see that we had 4 members join between 12:01 and 2:25.  One of those members was online with me.  I have deleted them as they are on the spammer list 5 times since June 10.  One more of the 4 were deleted and 2 are genuine new members.   

The Moderator team is doing a great job keeping the spammers off ACE.  We are only human and sometimes a spammer will get on but not often.  We catch about 99 percent of them.  We do our best, that's all we can do.

If you think something may be spam, report it.  In the lower right side of each post, there is a set of options; Report, Delete, Edit, Quote.   Just click on Report and fill in the blanks.  A Moderator will see it.

NEVER click on the links that a new member provides.  Spammers can NOT gather any information on you from ACE, however, if you click on the link they are able to gather some information via cookies. 

Learn to be computer safe.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#4 2013-06-17 12:22:20

Schipperkesue

I find members here are particularly good at locating and reporting spam.  The 'report' button is our friend.

Last edited by Schipperkesue (2013-06-17 12:23:19)

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2013-06-17 14:49:53

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Schipperkesue is particularly good at spotting a spammer.  She has used that all important "report" button to alert us in the past, and I'm sure she will again in the future.  clpz  We have great members!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.    ~Charles Darwin~

#6 2013-06-17 15:23:49

ThinkingChicken
I Love A.C.E.

:goodpost: thanxkx

3 6 week old Silkies, 1 6 week old  black mixed breed ,2 White Silkies ,3 pretty mixed breeds,1 Polish Cross,2 White Leghorns,1 mixed RIR,1 EE hen, 1 EE roo,2 Lavender Orpingtons,1 White Silkie and 1 Blue Splash Silkie ty Gallant Rooster Farm,5 Barnyard Specials,1 Black /red Silkie (from hubbys coworker)and 5 Barnyard Specials

#7 2013-06-17 17:04:19

Schipperkesue

It is the nature of my snoopy personality.  And the joy I take in mocking the defenseless spammers.  If I were paid, I would take on the job of mocking spammers full time.  Yardbirds and I could even consider forming a company for the sole purpose of mockery.

Last edited by Schipperkesue (2013-06-17 17:05:36)

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#8 2013-06-17 17:37:16

JonnyAnvil
A.C.E. Addicted

Fo me I am usually patrolling the Forums, after midnight until 4am -5am depending on weather I am getting sleepy or not.

The Spammer that MGF is referring to that I reported on has been a pest in my side on other forums I admin/mod.
Exact same post word for word, asking for help trying to start a web design business. They have been doing this for a few years now.

ACE  has gained popularity, and with a recent search engine optimization change, it's becoming more and more popular.

The Admin/Mod team here does a fantastic job, I miss my roll as MOD here, it was unfortunate that myself and the previous admin didn't see eye to eye.
But MGF is an excellent Admin, and she has a great team of MOD here.

Like I said when in doubt call them out peeps!

Use the report button!

~Breeding for 2015: Show Quality Large Fowl Light Sussex (Samis Lines). Coronation Sussex, Buff Sussex, Silver Sussex. Also breeding Top Quality Black, Blue & Buff Orpingtons~
Ridley Bronze Turkeys (Samis Lines)

#9 2013-06-17 21:44:25

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I find kitchen renovation offers from the other side of the atlantic are often spammers.

So many times mockery is not kind, but this time is not one of them!

Blue Slate turkeys - Beltsville Small White Turkeys - Shetland sheep - Highland cattle
Chilcotin Special landrace pigs- White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

Board footer