AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2016-09-04 17:09:51

PLB
Growing Member

Re: Deep Litter Method

been deep littering for many years, love it. im very lazy and have many things on the go all the time. this saves time and does a bit of composting along the way. i use pine wood chips also hardwood (as im a cabinet maker) straw hay and what everelse i end up with.it doesnt work well with geese,they dont scratch,so my chickens run with my geese.no smell and very easy to load,clean and spread.

#32 2016-09-04 18:36:16

Pippin'
Growing Member

We've found that straw on top of wood shavings/sawdust on top of hydrated lime works quite nicely on top of our wood floors. Straw catches the big stuff; shavings & dust soak up the wet; lime raises the pH. Special attention needs to be given to the roost area, but many times the rest of the coop stays quite dry. I wouldn't call Chilliwack a naturally dry area either!

#33 2016-09-04 19:47:02

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I'm trying lime this year on top of my wood floor and under a sawdust peat mix. I like peat in the damp winter here but too dusty in summer. I tried deep litter last year but started too late in the fall so had some ammonia problems at first. Putting the new beds in this week..

I was reading that hydrated lime can help with mites, etc. Has anyone heard of this?

Board footer