AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2009-08-19 13:36:18

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Classic respiratory symtoms

A brief rundown.  My light brahma rooster came up with a rattley breathing.  He has had this about two weeks.  Another rooster got that rattley breathing.  A couple of my hens have a very light clear runny nose, not bad, but noticeable, sneezing in a few birds and these same birds are coughing slightly.  I have a flock of about 30 pullets, all the birds are about 6 months old.  It does not seem to have spread, but I believe that it will.  The Muscovy ducks have been kind of coughing/sneezing too.  Not all birds are affected, only a handful, if that. 

The birds free range during the day, eating grass, etc., closed up at night.  I feed 16% layer pellets to everyone, non-medicated, Proforma brand, no medications, a handful of cracked corn each day.

I am sure this is a very typical respiratory illness, and I am sure also it may spread.  Is there a "typical" antibiotic I should give, should I give it to the entire flock as a preventative.  There is no way to isolate these birds, as I do not have the space/shelter to do so.  If there are any further information that I may give, please advise.  Have a wonderful day.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#2 2009-08-19 15:12:40

Bumblebee
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Classic respiratory symtoms

I got three chickens that were in bad shape. While in quarantine I noticed they had worms and one started to wheeze and sneeze.
Went to the feed store to buy something for her and a chicken farmer happened to be there. Told him the whole story. He told me to give her Gallimycin PFC made by Vetoquinol. ($29.00/200gr) It is water soluble erythromycin. I put it in her water for 7 days and she is fine and its been a week. But she is isolated from the healthy ones.
That 200gr package should last me a lifetime, 1 tsp to 4 litres of water. There is cheaper stuff but he said this would knock almost any ill health problem out of her the first time.

If they were my flock, I would treat them all.

This spring I was asked to help with some abandoned horses at a animal hoarders farm. The owner had passed away. There were at least 100 dead Muskovies, I was told they died of respiratory illness. It was very sad.
Good Luck.

Australian Cattle Dogs, Canadian Horses, lots of chickens

#3 2009-08-19 15:46:27

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Bumblebee, thanks for the response.  That lost flock of Muscovys is a sad thing.  I have 1 drake and five ducks, a couple of them are sneezing/coughing as well.  I will get some erythromycin, the co-op is not too far away from me. I would presume they have it.  I will treat them all, just in case this is being passed, but no one else showing symptoms, yet.  Thanks for the reply.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#4 2009-08-20 06:21:34

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Not all respiratory illnesses require treatment. There are two types. The sniffly, wheezy, type where the birds still eat and scratch and roost and carry on as normal. This illness is no big deal and will pass. They may all get it, but it should not be fatal and in fact should improve their immune system to other passing bugs.

Then there is the respiratory illness that makes your birds sick. They look sick, act sick. Hunched, ruffled, sleeping lots, not leaving roost, not eating, lethargic and weird. These are sick birds. These birds need to be isolated and treated.

You need to judge how bothered your birds are by this illness and use that as your guide. Treating birds for evey little illness leads to birds that have pathetic immune systems and cannot withstand any health adversity at all. Open your coop windows and let some fresh air in. ALso keep in mind that if you do not keep your hen house clean, if you let poo pile up and do not sweep out dust, the environment can cause respiratory irritation. Ammonia is an extreme eye and lung irritant and birds kept in dirty housing and air tight buildings will have a higher incidence of respiratory problems.

#5 2009-08-20 12:16:34

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Uno, thank you for the response.  I was leaning towards that thought, I know as a human being, I do not treat at all with any antiobiotics, unless we have something that absolutely requires it.  There are some things that MUST have antibiotic care.  I am a firm believer in the use of colloidal silver water, and make this myself.  I am going to make a couple of gallons for the chickens and ducks.  There is nothing in the water that will harm the birds, and will destroy any bad stuff going on around anyways, if there is, so it is a safe thing to use, just in case.  I don't believe in treating with antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.

The chickens appear as nothing is wrong with them.  They look lively, healthy, come running when they see me, are foraging on the bugs and grass and stuff, they are happy, not one appear lethargic or ill.  They just are sneezy/coughy, as are the ducks.  I am sure they will get over it and come out with strong immune systems for the upcoming winter.  What I don't like is the rattley breathing of the two roosters.  I am sure that will pass too, may just take time.  I was happy to hear that there are those two particular types of respiratory illness, as you described.

It appears that erythromycin is impossible to get around here anyways, without a vet's prescription, and I am not prepared to take a chicken to the vet, unless it was REALLY, really sick.  My dog vet wanted to have a look at one of the birds, and I basically told the receptionist (whom I have known for about 30 years, had many dogs come and go over those years, sighing), that I thought she was nuts to tell me to bring a chicken to a dog vet, I know that she was smiling at me, smiling.

My ducks and birds are housed in a big horse box stall, it may even be too big for the amount of birds, smiling.  It has windows on each side and end.  In the wintertime (these windows have 1/2 inch poultry wire covering them to keep out vermin), so in total four windows.  A lovely cross breeze blows through.  It is hot here, the nights are reasonably warm, the birds are not chilled, ventilation is very good.  I keep my birds night houses clean.  I have plywood below their roosts that act as a "holding" area for excretement, it makes for easy clean up of the chicken poopy stuff and I clean that very frequently.  The cement floor has straw used as litter, the ducks are messy, mucky pooper makers and I find straw works a wonder for clean up.  Ammonia is not a problem in the coops, if I smell ammonia, I know I have left it too long, and get on it immediately.  Thanks all for the replies, I am ramblin', I am that ramblin' gal, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#6 2009-08-20 18:10:33

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Sounds like you have everyting just as it should be.

I have never given my birds antibiotics. I have lost some to illness, but surprisingly few. Usually when a bird dies it just up and dies and you find it dead and think gee, that's weird..... BUt you never really know what kills them.

I do treat my birds homeopathically with the same remedies I treat my family. But I have never had antibiotics on hand. I do lose some, but I figure that's the way it goes. But I've lost way more to predators than to illness.

#7 2009-08-20 18:27:11

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I am planning on fogging my coops with oxine.  I supposedly clears up everything INCLUDING aspergillosis.  I will put it in a humdifier and run it all night.  I think about my first year keeping birds and here are the mistakes I made: #1. My coop was insulated too well.  I will only have my adult birds in a coop with an insulated floor and ceiling this year.  #2.  The insulated coop was too airtight.  I will keep a window open (up high) all winter. #3.  I had one sneezing hen that I did not dispose of immediatey. (I now get rid of any sick birds).  #4.  The coop was kept too clean.  I will use the deep bedding method advised by Gail Damerow in "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens".  #5.  I bedded with really clean hay.  Hay is a poor bedding choice.  I will bed with shavings and have ordered wheat straw from my neighbor this morning.  #6.  I did not treat regularly for mites and lice.  I will use ivermectin pour on all my fully feathered birds. #7.  I bought some poor looking chickens from a lady at Rocky who kept her hens in a filthy coop.  I will never do that again.  #8.  I did not get on a mouse problem and and soon had an infestation.   All of these mistakes contrubute to respiratory problems and respiratory problems are stressful because of the blood testing and lab testing that must be done to clear up a problem.. One mistake I didn't make though and it has protected my birds is that, because my runs are not completely varmint proof, I close my birds up at night and have not lost any birds to predators during the day, other than a sick rooster to a raven.
Another thing I do that is not usually advised, is I run all my birds together during the day.  I figure that the young birds need some gradual exposure to anything my older birds may have and this innoculates them and strengthens their immune system.  I could vaccinate til the cows come home and still have a different strain of bug bother my birds.

Last edited by lovemybirds (2009-08-20 18:31:21)

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#8 2009-08-21 00:00:13

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Uno, I meant to mention, both my Daughters and one Daughter's sons (Grandsons 10 and 15) live in Enderby.  One actually lives in Grindrod.  We have our house up for sale and want to move to the Enderby/East Enderby/Mable Lake/Tappen area.  Just not sure where we will settle when we sell.  Gotta be close to our kids, life is nothing without one's children nearby.  Our Grandsons and their parents lived in a  house on our property for six years.  They practically lived at our house, we got them off to school for six years, whilst the parents worked.  I miss them so much, guess I got spoiled with having them only 20 feet from my doorstep.  They moved this winter to that town.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#9 2009-08-23 18:14:12

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Well bust ma britches!!!  If that colloidal silver water didn't work to clear up the respiratory problems, I just don't know what did.  The rattling in the chest of the two roosters has stopped, there is no more sneezing and coughing with some of the gals AND....the Muscovy drakes hoarse hissing is back to his normal hissy sound they make.  No antibiotics were used, nothing changed in diet, just a few good gallons of colloidal silver water in glass containers (big containers, smiling) all over the chicken yards.  Happy birds, happy bird mother (me) and back to healthy chickens. I know the power of the silver colloided in the water and thankin' my lucky stars I believe in it and use it all the time for many things.  For anyone that doesn't know what it is, take that moment in time and do some research on the internet.  Powerful stuff.  Used in hospitals for burn patients. And guess what is put into babies eyes when they are born (well it was when my gals were infants), basically silver molecules in a solution.  Have a great and most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#10 2009-08-23 18:35:04

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Great Cynthia, that didn't take long! :thumbsup:

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#11 2009-10-03 18:57:05

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

CynthiaM wrote:

A brief rundown.  My light brahma rooster came up with a rattley breathing.  He has had this about two weeks.  Another rooster got that rattley breathing.  A couple of my hens have a very light clear runny nose, not bad, but noticeable, sneezing in a few birds and these same birds are coughing slightly.  I have a flock of about 30 pullets, all the birds are about 6 months old.  It does not seem to have spread, but I believe that it will.  The Muscovy ducks have been kind of coughing/sneezing too.  Not all birds are affected, only a handful, if that. 

The birds free range during the day, eating grass, etc., closed up at night.  I feed 16% layer pellets to everyone, non-medicated, Proforma brand, no medications, a handful of cracked corn each day.

I am sure this is a very typical respiratory illness, and I am sure also it may spread.  Is there a "typical" antibiotic I should give, should I give it to the entire flock as a preventative.  There is no way to isolate these birds, as I do not have the space/shelter to do so.  If there are any further information that I may give, please advise.  Have a wonderful day.

This sounds like EXACTLY what is going on with my one pullet.
Coughing/sneezing and rattly breathing....she has had a slight cough for almost 2 weeks, but the rattly breathing just started the other day.
I was given advice to use ACV and then to try collodial silver...right now I have only used the (ACV last 3 days).

Did all your chickens get better? Do you think I should switch it up and use the slilver?
Thanks for the input....

Last edited by Brook (2009-10-03 18:57:57)

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

#12 2009-10-03 22:35:32

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Brook, the roosters got better, one chicken never did get better and she left this world, not of her own accord.  I thought the Muscovy ducks were over it, but they got really bad and I thought I was going to lose the drake.  He could barely breath.  I was alarmed and put them into a separate area, got some tylan from the Pharmasave that deals with large animals, on that for three days and it cleared 100% up.  I don't think the colloidal silver water worked for the ducks, maybe they needed to stay on it longer than the chickens.  I do not really know if the C.S. worked or not, but the roosters got better, maybe they just got better on their own, can't say.  I cannot advise you what to do, I do not know what ACV is, maybe someone will know whether to just continue on with this type of treatment.  Good luck, I am sure she will get better.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#13 2011-11-21 17:15:24

tripleJfarms
I Love A.C.E.
Website

where do you get this colloidal silver water ??? how much do you mix with say 1 gallon of water, ??

~Wheaten marans, WHITE & black Ameraucanas, lavender & black orpingtons, Belgian malines, chocolate frizzles,  ~
http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html ~facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/TripleJFa … 9015133161

#14 2011-11-21 18:00:48

New2Chickens
Growing Member

Colloidal silver is available from www.naturessunshine.ca .... or maybe you can get it from a healthfood store?

#15 2011-11-21 19:28:44

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

New2Chickens wrote:

Colloidal silver is available from www.naturessunshine.ca .... or maybe you can get it from a healthfood store?

You may not like what I am going to say, but that is such.  You can BUY colloidal silver water in most health stores.  It will run you probably well over the $10 (upwards to like $20) for 750 ml.  That was how much it was the last time I ever looked.  Extremely over priced and I really do not understand why.....

I do not buy it. I make my own and have for years.  Do a search on our forum, there are many posts with people speaking of the power of silver water.  There are simple devices that can be made which the person can generate the silver ions that are colloided (suspended) in distilled water.  I won't go into that, but if you want a very simple design, you could email me and I will type out the instructions on how to build it for you.  It involves 2 silver rods (obtained at a jeweller is easiest, (3)  nine volt batteries, something to house the batteries (like a plastic soap dish with a cover, you know the type, alligator clips, some wire to attach the batteries together, sea salt and distilled water.  I know it sounds like alot, but really is a simple device.  The small generator is very simple to make and costs only pennies to make a great amount of colloidal silver water...other than that, buy it, or go on the internet, there are many sites that define how to build your own generator, some use electrical current from the electrical in your house, but I find the battery operated one so good.  You can actually watch the silver molecules leaving the silver (think they are called molecules) and being suspended in the water, it is pretty cool to watch.  I could help you out later today or tomorrow morning with instructions, if so desired.

Personally, I would not dilute the silver water, I use it full strength for anything I require it for.  If I require lots, I just make a gallon of it in a gallon glass jar.   What is the problem that you want to address with the silver water?  Just curious.  Hope all works out well for you, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Board footer