AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2012-01-05 18:33:54

FeathersforFun
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Classic respiratory symtoms

What a FABULOUS post!!  Thanks to you both for such an informative and dedicated post!!

Blue/Black/Splash Standard Wyandottes; BSW Turkeys, Leghorn/Exchequer Crosses and our Yummy Meatie Crosses.

#32 2012-01-06 05:57:58

geri
Growing Member

We're not quite over it yet here. The young EE and the one Wyandotte hen were a bit gurgly when I got home and so they had more of the "bronchodilator mix". They're now breathing quietly, but now the Orpington rooster is gurgly. He's been snorting a bit for a few days. So, he got a good dose of the mix just now. They were nicely inside all day today, on dry shavings and with the heat lamp on drying the air and warming the place a bit. Everyone seems fine otherwise. We'll carry on.

#33 2012-01-06 13:32:54

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

How long does a cycle of this sickness last. 
I am battling with it here in one of my coops.
Everyone is medicated as of yesterday.  Some getting better while others are beginning to show symptoms. Going to clean the coop out today while the weather remains nice. It will have a nice sterile atmosphere.

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#34 2012-01-06 15:03:11

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Well, Geri, just keep on letting us know how this works out.  La-chicken, I cannot speak to how long this lasts, this is an honest statement.  Perhaps it just depends on how many more contract it.  sorry, can't help you here.  Have a great day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#35 2012-01-07 18:27:29

geri
Growing Member

la-chicken wrote:

How long does a cycle of this sickness last. 
I am battling with it here in one of my coops.
Everyone is medicated as of yesterday.  Some getting better while others are beginning to show symptoms. Going to clean the coop out today while the weather remains nice. It will have a nice sterile atmosphere.

Are your chickens making rattly or gurgly or croupy sounds? What symptoms do they have? What treatment are you using?

My chickens seem to be almost over it now. There was no gurgling or rattling sounds coming from anyone yesterday morning, nor in the evening and everyone seems clear this morning. I do hear two roosters still making a bit of a snorting sound now and then. The one was gurgly the other day and that cleared when I gave him the homemade "bronchodilator" concoction and he hasn't been rattly or gurgly again. I'm still giving them all ionic silver in the water.

It's hard to say how long a cycle lasts. I don't know how this would have progressed without the silver and if I hadn't given the gurgly ones the homemade concoction. I'm quite impressed with the results I saw and am going to have to remember that recipe. Each time a chicken was gurgly or croupy, when I gave them even just one ml of the mixture, the gurgling subsided. I know this isn't a scientifically validated study, but I must say, there seemed to be a strong correlation. The gurgling or rattly sounds really cleared quickly each time. It may have simply helped to open the airways. The gurgling did come back in a few of them, so there was still something causing the irritation or inflammation (and perhaps causing a bit of a spasm) in their airways, and that had to resolve, and seems to be resolving, as the noises seem to be staying away now.

So it's hard to say how things would have progressed without the interventions I used.

#36 2012-01-07 19:16:00

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

I am not a creative girl and went for chemical medication.  Hats off to you for you holistic approach clpz .
I am treating " sick" birds with single 5 cc dose of Tylan and tracycline in coop water.

Symptoms:  runny noses, bubble eyes and goopy eyes, sneezing, head shaking, gurgle throat, voice chnge in crowing ( squeeky like),  listless, sleepy alot, poopy butts.  I have lost 2 birds this last week :crying: Things develop in  a 12 hr period.
Once treated:  12 hrs later most of the symptons are gone or have decreased majorly.

But, 3 will get better then 2 more are sick.  Things have definatly "quieted" down these last 3 days.  Just wondering about relapse possibility.

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#37 2012-01-07 21:06:16

geri
Growing Member

I'm sorry you're having such an issue there. I know the worry that causes. Your chickens do seem to have a more severe form, as I never had any runny noses or sneezing or eye discharge here. Once they're through this, it would be good to look into how you can build them up again. Better yet, start now. The antibiotics will decrease the good bacteria in their guts, and those friendly bacteria are important for gut health and general wellbeing, so you would be wise to try to restore that. You can give them plain yogurt with acidophillous, and even get some acidiphillous capsules (available at the big grocery stores, pharmacies, health food stores) and add that to their water (open the capsules). And to prevent relapse, you could look at what you need to give them to build up their immunity. Apple cider vinegar in their water, garlic (a few cloves crushed, soaked in a cup of water for a few hours or a day, and then pour that water into the water dispenser) could be a start. ACV is supposed to be helpful for intestinal health and overall wellbeing. Extra Vitamins in water or in the feed is also a good idea, for a while, to help with healing.  I got a bag of vitamin powder from our local Buckerfields (where they sell all kinds of things for animals), and that was a cheap source.

If they don't eat the yogurt (if you want to try that), it works to soak some bread cubes in the yogurt. I gave them that last year - yogurt soaked bread, and I added the acidophillous and vitamins to that mix, and they cleaned it up every day.

A good source of information is the Cloverdale Pharmasave in Cloverdale, BC. You can google them, and call and ask to speak with the pharmacist Henry. He will advise on what to give for building up immunity and he will give advise on what you can do for respiratory issues or other issues, as long as you have a good sense of what you think you're dealing with. He will not offer any diagnosis, so you have to do the diagnosing yourself. He will recommend what you can do to build up their immunity. When I had sick chickens last fall, and after treating them for worms and coccidiosis, I spoke with him and he suggested a probiotic powder, which they also give to horses or dogs, to restore the bacteria in the intestines (after antibiotic use, or to prevent worms, parasites, yeast from taking over).

After you give antibiotics, there is a chance of yeast taking over if the friendly bacteria are knocked out by the antibiotics. The probiotic powder he sold me was not expensive, cheaper than buying a bottle of capsules (in terms of the volume you get) and that can be added to their feed. The Cloverdale Pharmacy will send you products by mail. It's better to speak to them in person, he told me recently, than to fill out their online order forms, as not all of their products are available on their website. I think they might be the only pharmacy (in Canada, I believe) that deals with animal and alternative health products. I like the fact that they have both perspectives, so you're getting advise from someone who understands the pharmaceutical and medical side, but is very open to and knowledgeable about the complementary approach.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by geri (2012-01-07 21:10:12)

#38 2012-01-07 21:25:11

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Glad you had mentioned yogurt.
I was thinking of boosting vitamins for a week, deworm one day but start the yogurt in 3 days for a week. All sickness should be done.

The weather will turn cold again and I want to make sure everyone in that coop is strong and healthy.
All the other coops are fine and have been isolated from each other since the outbreak.

Can the garlic water go into metal waterers?  I know apple cider can not.

#39 2012-01-08 00:14:43

geri
Growing Member

If I were you, I'd start the yogurt now, as it will take some time to restore the friendly bacteria. That way you give the yeast and other opportunistic bugs less opportunity to take over. Just a thought. I know when humans take antibiotics, they're often advised to take yogurt at the same time, to be proactive, instead of having to react when the next thing comes along. =)

#40 2012-01-08 00:20:47

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Sounds good! 
Thanks a bunch. :thumbsup:

#41 2012-01-08 03:56:52

geri
Growing Member

I forgot to respond to your question about garlic in metal waterers. I don't know the answer, but I suspect that garlic wouldn't have the same problem as apple cider vinegar. It's probably the acid in the ACV that reacts with the metal. But that's my guess. I personally prefer not to use metal watering dispensers, as they're probably made of aluminum. But that's me, quite fussy about things like that. (Don't want the chickens to get alzheimers.) =)

Board footer