AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2014-01-11 21:56:09

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

The Perfect Barn?

OK everyone - what 'features' or 'must-haves' would you use in your design if you were building a new 'barn'?

I will give you the low-down....

My new property has several old out-buildings. My chicken coop and rabbit barn are 2 different buildings, very close to each other, in an L shape. My plan is to tear them both down (they cannot be saved, trust me) and build something new... bigger than the 2 combined. What I am thinking is the building be separated into 3-4 spaces. 1 space for my chicken coop, 1 space for my winter rabbit barn. I also want a space for quail, and I need a space for feed, equipment storage etc. I am thinking the building could be around 12-16' x 20-25'.

I am just in design phase so your barn wish list would REALLY help this newb out!
wizze

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

#2 2014-01-11 22:01:35

coopslave
I Love A.C.E.

Re: The Perfect Barn?

Power, water and great ventilation.  I think the rest is really personal preference.
I would love to have an area with a drain for actually washing down things when the weather is not the most accommodating. 
Oh, I just saw the sizes you said, I was thinking a bit bigger in my vivid imagination.......

<")3 quiet hen      >")3 noisy hen

#3 2014-01-11 22:22:08

Island Girl

Hubby had my dream coop built this past year. I love it!! Should be some pictures on here if you do a search =)

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#4 2014-01-11 23:13:11

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

Yea, sorry, I should have mentioned space is a factor. My new venture is called Crooked Spruce Micro-Farm, so everything needs to be done on a smaller scale. My property is only a half acre total.

For chickens I want to comfortably house 20-25 hens, with an optional isolation space somehow?...so this would be the largest portion of the building.
For rabbits I would want 2 walls for cages in an area at least 8'x15' but bigger is better. Not sure how to fit in the quail yet.

I should go re-measure the space back there, I could probably squeeze a few more feet out if it, if I built around a tree, I could make it way bigger LOL

I was thinking things like, should I make the floor deeper than normal, to allow for all the deep litter in winter? I am having troubles with my coop door because all the litter is getting in the way. Running power is not a problem, water would be....Although a sink WOULD be AWESOME! I know, lots of ventilation but what kind of ventilation....and what about insulation, windows, heat sources, feed storage ideas?

Last edited by Brook (2014-01-11 23:16:27)

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

#5 2014-01-11 23:17:07

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I had to have a bigger barn for my cow hay and had a barn built into a hillside, old Ontario style, so I can drive in the top to get hay, keep animals down below.  I can even throw hay down from the hayloft to the animals below.  Living in the mountains finding hillsides are not a problem.

Husband always says "how are you going to clean it?" Can you get a tractor in?  Can you power wash it?   Ventilation key. How much will you see if the power goes out?

A fun project!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#6 2014-01-12 01:07:55

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

For small building I like to plan on sizes that work well with sheet stock.  For example s sheet of OSB is 8 feet long and when cut in half is 4 feet.  Your width of either 12 or 16 works fine, but the length of 20 or 25 feet means odd cutting sizes. If you use something like OSB it is a good idea to stagger the joints with horizontally applied sheets.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#7 2014-01-12 02:33:29

smokyriver
I Love A.C.E.
Website

You could always do raised quail pens in your chicken portion.  Hang your quail pens on one wall of your chicken pen, high enough that the chickens can't roost on them, but low enough you can easily clean them.  Have a droppings pan for each quail cage that way your chickens never wear their poop!!  That would save you the extra building for the quail.  Just be very sure you have good ventilation.  access to power and water are a must for my buildings.  We are looking at buying a couple older mobile homes and run the furnace and keep the water available in each also.

Poultry Palace
Providing quality hatching eggs and chicks

#8 2014-01-12 03:25:25

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I just saw this...and like it!

http://www.mulligansrun.com/ourbarn.php

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#9 2014-01-12 04:14:31

Island Girl

If I break this up into different categories it will help me organize it in my head yadderz  Let start with Ventalation - I have a window that can open on one end of my coop with a fan on the other end that is always on. The whole front of the coop has an open, wired (1"x1" stucco wire) window that runs the length of the coop (24'). These pictures are of the coop during some of the construction phases. The last picture gives you a good idea of the ventalation with the fan on one end, although it has since been replaced with a window that opens and the fan was installed on the exact opposite wall.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/newcoopporcelainduccleandTPC049_zps83ed4c40.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/newcoopporcelainduccleandTPC053_zpsee7c4850.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/newcoopporcelainduccleandTPC059_zpse589e9bb.jpg

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#10 2014-01-12 06:17:54

Roots
A.C.E. Addicted

Is it possible to build higher to allow for an extra half story to give extra storage and better air movement?  My favorite barn style is the "monitor" that really is a main barn with a barn on each side.  You can even build one side if the space is limited. 
Here is another design that can give light and ventilation without taking up wall space with windows.
http://howlingduckranch.wordpress.com/t … ltry-barn/

Looking for Legbar hatching eggs and rooster, and rosecomb brown leghorn hatching eggs and rooster.

#11 2014-01-12 06:30:13

Thor
A.C.E. Addicted

I build mine about 2 ft off the ground so the chickens can go underneath the coop when it is raining or snowing. In the summer they go under to get out of the heat and they like to dust bath under there too

#12 2014-01-12 15:26:52

coopslave
I Love A.C.E.

Schipperkesue wrote:

I just saw this...and like it!

http://www.mulligansrun.com/ourbarn.php

That is very cool Sue!

<")3 quiet hen      >")3 noisy hen

#13 2014-01-12 17:09:00

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Brooke, when looking at recommendations, keep in mind the climate where the recommendation comes from!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#14 2014-01-12 17:38:13

Roots
A.C.E. Addicted

Schipperkesue wrote:

Brooke, when looking at recommendations, keep in mind the climate where the recommendation comes from!

I agree.  Make sure your roof design matches the snow and wind load for your area and not to mention cold winter temperature limits for you animals.  You can also consider using a tractor style coop for summer use to simplify the main coup design.

Looking for Legbar hatching eggs and rooster, and rosecomb brown leghorn hatching eggs and rooster.

#15 2014-01-12 18:46:05

TheGentleLad
Growing Member

Well,

I am in the planning phase for a new barn - (semi)automatic feeding and watering, lights on timers, will all be included  as well as an egg storage room, and an 'office' - I am planning to have a heat source in there as well, most likely a fire place ( wood is dirt cheap when you can cut it your self). Roll out nests so egg collection is easy (eggs will roll into the a holder that is located on the outside of the pen), ohh yah and a feed storage area - This will include room enough to fit, 2-2000lbs feed containters (what the mink farmers use) and this will be concrete so that a pallet jack can move them around.

Board footer