AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Injecting eggs and mycoplasma (GREAT MG discussion re:Lincospectin)

#31 2014-02-24 23:59:32

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Injecting eggs and mycoplasma (GREAT MG discussion re:Lincospectin)

Sue, this is great news!  One day if I ever am in a place to get chickens, I will keep this in mind.  Ever since my experience with MG (and my birds did get it for sure, because I had them sent off to be tested) I have be agonizing whether I wanted to get back into it again or not because I have been worrying about where and how to get some nice stock (or hatching eggs) that I knew for sure were MG free.  This gives me hope that I can get hatching eggs and treat the chicks so that they will be MG free.   My biggest fear would be to have this in my flock and pass it onto someone else... I really do worry about that.   This would really ease my mind and heart.

Thank you!  You have made my day!  :thumbsup:

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#32 2014-02-25 05:34:40

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

silkiebantam  :thumbsup:

Taking things a day at a time.

#33 2014-02-25 05:39:39

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Hey, Silkiebantam!  All the time I post about MG I think about you and your horrible chicken disaster!  Could you add a few details here so people can hear about the symptoms and the havoc this issue can cause?

I am very pleased with Linco-Spectin.  It was Toybaron's great research that brought it to my attention.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#34 2014-02-26 14:46:38

calliope
A.C.E. Addicted

I just inquired about  Denegard here in BC and was told it is not approved for North America. Can you still get it in Alberta?

Just another day in paradise!

Partridge Chanteclers, True Ameraucanas, Russian Orloffs, LF Blue English Orpingtons, Bearded Silkies, Showgirls, Frizzles, Bantam Cochins, Bourbon Red and Jersey Buff Turkeys, and keeper of honeybees :)

#35 2014-02-26 15:00:28

Schipperkesue
Administrator

calliope wrote:

I just inquired about  Denegard here in BC and was told it is not approved for North America. Can you still get it in Alberta?

It is approved in Canada for pigs.  Here is how I got it.  I went to my vet with the printed out website information saying how it is approved for poultry in the UK.  Showed it to him and said I would like to have this on hand for my chickens to treat birds in quarantine if they show signs of Myco. 

If your vet is a city vet you may not have much luck.  If she is a farm vet, there is a better chance of getting it.  I would do a little vet shopping.  Right now I have 4 different vets that I use.  All but one are well over an hour away.  One is for spaying/neutering, one for tail docking, one for shots and farm meds, one for emergencies.

#36 2014-02-28 04:22:32

calliope
A.C.E. Addicted

Thanks for the info on Denegard, Sue.  I'll give it a shot!

Just another day in paradise!

Partridge Chanteclers, True Ameraucanas, Russian Orloffs, LF Blue English Orpingtons, Bearded Silkies, Showgirls, Frizzles, Bantam Cochins, Bourbon Red and Jersey Buff Turkeys, and keeper of honeybees :)

#37 2014-02-28 11:40:11

bcboy
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I asked my vet, Creekside Animal Clinic for a bottle of Linco Spectin. It was $93. It seem like it will out last the expiry date...

Schipperkesue wrote:

Linco is for CHICKS as a PREVENTATIVE, Denegard for ADULTS as a TREATMENT/CURE

Tegaan, I take my birds to shows and and purchase/trade birds from outside sources.  I quarantine birds that arrive.  I treat any problems that show up and use the Linco as a preventative because the birds that go to shows are exposed to other birds that do have issues.

I find an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I see that you said that "Denegard for ADULTS as a TREATMENT/CURE". Cure as in Mycoplasma will test negative in a blood test? Or will just treat the Mycoplasma and will reoccur later on when the bird is stressed? Will it still be passed to other adult birds. I see that Denagard┬« (tiamulin hydrogen fumarate) can be used to treat the hens. From this link---> http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/artic … iotics.htm
By medicating the hen, the level of mycoplasma is reduced in the hen and therefore the overall challenge. There is also a sufficient concentration of tiamulin-like activity in the egg to inhibit the growth of most mycoplasmas as well.

How many types or brand name of antibiotics do you have to treat your birds?
Thanks again for your help.thanxkx
Kimball

Last edited by bcboy (2014-02-28 12:00:03)

#38 2014-02-28 13:23:21

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I don't know BCBoy. 

I use three.  Denegard and Tylan for CRDs in adults in Linclo Spectin in chicks.  My concern is to protect my birds from CRDs that may come on to the property through various means.  My choice of meds is very expensive but they work well and have minimal, if any withdrawl.  I choose protocols that keep my birds as safe as possible considering I purchase birds from other breeders, attend shows, allow visitors and free range my birds.  If a bird develops a sneeze he is separated and treated.  This winter I had no sneezing amongst birds that were born last spring and treated with Linco-Spectin.

Questions about whether the treated birds are carriers is best answered by the manufacturers of the drugs.  I have had one bird with Myco about four years ago.  He developed it in quarantine after I purchased him.  He was put down before he left quarantine and his body burnt.

#39 2014-02-28 17:17:42

prudholmefarms
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Question on transmission:

Since it is carried by wild birds and wild bird dander may carry it and it is in the saliva obviously, then is it also in the fecal matter of wild birds?

Also, at what temperature is MG killed at?  Do we know if the commercial chicken feed is heated to or beyond this temperature?

Here is what I am getting at.  Possibility of transmission by contaminated feed.  It may be possible to protect your flock and prevent the disease.  But is it also possible to prevent it in the feed you use?  I raise crops.  The same crops that go for the feed of animals, such as chickens.  I see birds every year out in the fields, eating the seed, grabbing the bugs, pooping on the the grain, etc!  If wild birds carry it and your feed is not heat treated beyond the temp to kill MG, then how are you supposed to protect against something like that? 

And if it is carried by fecal matter, what happens when the bird lands on the 1" wire and poops in your run and the birds are scratching around there and think the piece of grass that the poop landed on a week ago looks good enough to eat now.  Well, you get the point. 

I am finding this conversation very interesting.

Raising Highland's, Jersey's, turkeys, chickens, pig's, five beautiful daughters, an angel in heaven, a couple dog's, a patient hubby, goats and horses.

#40 2014-02-28 17:44:20

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

Natural Small doses of organisms build up immunity. If your animals are happy and healthy then they won't get stressed and weaken allowing harmful organisms to multiply and take over.

Kari

#41 2014-02-28 18:49:28

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Immunity is a myth. Immunity was a practice where healthy birds were exposed to a sick bird. What got sick and survived was believed then to be immune to the disease. What is believed to be immunity is in fact creating a carrier bird for that disease.
Your bird either doesn't have MG or it does and it is a carrier. If it's a carrier, it can transmit MG to other birds, usually in times of other illness or stress.

MG is just one of many hundreds of types of CRDs. The only way you know whether your bird has specifically MG is to have the bird serum tested. The bird does not have to die in order to be tested.

MG is transmitted pretty much on everything. It's in the enviroment. You can carrier it in on your clothes. Your hair. Your hands. Your footwear.

To explain the use of 1" wire on runs.
Many people feed and water their birds outside. Food is thrown on the ground or left out in feeders. Water is left in open waters. 1" wire prevents birds from getting into outdoor runs and eating and drinking and pooping in your runs.
The 1" wire also prevents other vermin from getting into your chicken runs, like mice, rats, weasels. Prevents predators from grabbing and pulling your chickens through the wire.

If the expense is too much, simple solution that works too is don't leave food & water outside to attract wildbirds.

#42 2014-02-28 19:44:49

prudholmefarms
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

toybarons wrote:

Immunity is a myth.

Please do not take me wrong, I am seriously curious about all this. 

So, if immunity is a myth, is vaccinations also?

Or is just immunity in birds a myth?

I even test my goats (Nubians) for things that are very rare in Canada, like G6S, CAE, CL, and Johnnes.  As for my cattle, it is mostly the same, but add TB to that.  So, testing isnt an issue here. 

However, I saw one statement and for the moment it elludes me who said it.  But that there is a vaccine for MG.  Would that then make them test positive if every tested in the future for MG?

For instance, I do not vaccinate against CL because it turns up a positive test when tested later.

Raising Highland's, Jersey's, turkeys, chickens, pig's, five beautiful daughters, an angel in heaven, a couple dog's, a patient hubby, goats and horses.

#43 2014-02-28 23:29:35

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

I am assuming toy baron is only talking about MG. In my post I was talking generally not specifically about MG. If I am wrong and Toy baron means all immunity then I am very confused by that.

Kari

#44 2014-03-01 04:28:05

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Tegaan wrote:

I am assuming toy baron is only talking about MG. In my post I was talking generally not specifically about MG. If I am wrong and Toy baron means all immunity then I am very confused by that.

Kari

Right. I am referring only to MG.

#45 2014-03-01 04:43:37

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

prudholmefarms wrote:

toybarons wrote:

Immunity is a myth.

Please do not take me wrong, I am seriously curious about all this. 

So, if immunity is a myth, is vaccinations also?

Or is just immunity in birds a myth?

I even test my goats (Nubians) for things that are very rare in Canada, like G6S, CAE, CL, and Johnnes.  As for my cattle, it is mostly the same, but add TB to that.  So, testing isnt an issue here. 

However, I saw one statement and for the moment it elludes me who said it.  But that there is a vaccine for MG.  Would that then make them test positive if every tested in the future for MG?

For instance, I do not vaccinate against CL because it turns up a positive test when tested later.

Yes, there is a vaccine for MG to treat poultry.
It is readily available in the USA. You can easily buy it online along with other types of vaccines for poultry.
In Canada, we have squat! Any vaccine for poultry you have to go through a vet. Tough part is to find a vet willing to order it for you. I have been told by a few people who tried to get the vaccine, that it isn't for sale in Canada. However, commercial poultry farms apparently can get MG vaccine. One person told me that it is available through a vet BUT it's like the ILT vaccine in that you have to order a flat which makes it impractical for the majority of people with a backyard flock.

When you vaccine for MG, you are introducing the virus to the bird's system. If you have the bird tested, it will test positive for having MG. That is why if you vaccinate, it is best to record the vaccine lot & stock number.

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Injecting eggs and mycoplasma (GREAT MG discussion re:Lincospectin)

Board footer