AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Game Birds
  •  » to try raising pheasants, what would the easiest type be?

#1 2014-10-19 20:48:50

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

to try raising pheasants, what would the easiest type be?

If a person was going to try raising a pair of pheasants and some offspring.  What would the best type be for a beginner?    Was asked this the other day, and haven't got any idea, anybody?

#2 2014-10-19 23:03:18

wingthing
Growing Member

Re: to try raising pheasants, what would the easiest type be?

If it is strictly for a hobby and want just a nice pair of pheasants I would suggest a pair of silvers.  They are winter hardy, aren't flighty and they make a nice display.  Plus (with my own experience) the hens are good brooders. Hope this helps!

Chickens-White silkies, Blue and Black jersey giants.
Pheasants-Silvers, reeves and Lady amherst.
Peafowl-White, pied, Indian blue and black shoulder.
Royal palm turkeys, and guinea fowl.

#3 2014-10-20 03:14:35

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Thank you, I will pass that on.      I read somewhere Lady Amhersts and Golden Pheasants were good for a beginner, could that be right?

#4 2014-10-20 05:04:27

shelan09

Yes , I suggest Goldens . You can have a pair , trio , or quad . The hens will lay usually the first year . They will lay a few clutches of eggs , if the eggs are removed. They can make decent parents . But babys are small so you need to have chick proof pens , or they will become cat food . Only thing is the male does not get his beautiful colours until the second year . But the male can still be fertile the first season . They have some really neat courtship displays . They are very hardy and can handle our winters . They usually are not aggressive and can be kept with some other species if you want  a mixed aviary . Suggestions of adding a pair of ducks  , or doves  etc. There are lots of mutations of the golden pheasants , but the true golden is the best looking I think . Any questions just let me know , happy to answer anything about pheasants .

Shelan

#5 2014-10-20 20:53:55

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Shelan,  Thank you. I will pass this all on.  What about the Lady Amhersts ?

#6 2014-10-21 06:51:42

shelan09

Lady Amherst are another beautiful , choice . They are very similar to Goldens . The only thing I have found with Amherst is they can be a little more skittish , as that being a little more wild . They have similar courtship displays , as the Goldens . They tend to breed like the Goldens as well . I have ,however not had a lot of hens lay at a year , so they are better producers in there second year . The Amherst and Goldens can hybridizes so you have to be careful not to keep these species together . There is a lot of crossed birds out there so you want to become familiar with what a true Lady Amherst looks like . I can definitely help you , if you need to find good sources of true Lady Amherst Bloodlines .
That being said some Goldens have faults too so you have to be carefull to look for pure specimens .

Shelan

#7 2014-10-21 12:36:29

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

While on the subject of pheasants - What do you find is the best type of penning and how much yard space do you need? I used to have red goldens many years ago with absolutely no problems using my regular chicken pens with wire toppings. After I moved, I bought a pair of Elliott's. The first thing the male did was fly up and break his neck on the overhead wiring. I haven't had the space to try again but would a fabric netting (so hard to apply) be a safer bet?

#8 2014-10-21 13:47:18

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Watching this closely as I am also planning on building a nice aviary in the spring.

Black Ameraucana

#9 2014-10-22 02:45:19

shelan09

It all depends on what type of pheasants you are looking at keeping . Some need more space than others . Some can be put in community pens , others not . The Goldens can handle quit a small covered pen , and do just fine . They don't tend to be too flighty as per say . But some species like Ringnecks , Elliots ,Humes ,Mikado , Coppers ,etc can be very flighty , and yes tend to go straight up when spooked . So with these species we like to have a softer top . We use nylon netting . Most pheasant breeders will use this type of top for there pens . I like it for everything .  Probably your minimum pen size would be 6 by 10 for a pair of Goldens , but for the bigger birds , I would say 10by 15,20 feet would be nice size some even bigger 20 by 20 . Than you can plant some shrubs ,grasses , and different ground cover to make the pen look more appealing . You can add a small house or cover so the birds can get out of the elements . You can add rocks , stumps , perches at different heights , so the birds feel more like they are in the wild . I know pheasants usually are not picky , mostly its what you like to look at . There are a few people with some really nice aviary's for their birds , it would be good to go look at what they have provided for there birds . Also I'd  search the web , I know there's lots of info out there .,  But I know , hearing from others experiences is much more helpful .
I know some people might get turned off , if the first pair of pheasants they got were not what they had thought . Some birds have different personalities , and different species , are just different . Getting one nutty bird , is not to say the next one can be very calm . I know I have seen some Lady Amherst , really bouncing off the walls , but others I have had are as calm as cookies . I can go in some of my pens ,and the wild birds come up to you and will feed at my feet . Some times its just knowing your birds .
Shelan

#10 2014-10-22 14:00:03

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

Shelan09, where do you get your nylon netting? What I did use here was some that my son had left over from building pens for his chukars. We both found this brand extremely hard to apply and hope to keep it straight. I know there are other brands available but which would be the best to handle?

#11 2014-10-23 03:38:38

shelan09

Hi , We bought our netting off a guy that was raising Ringnecks years ago , so we didn't directly buy if from a supplier . But there is a supplier east of Edmonton ,( Dirt Willy Game bird Farm). And I know you can get it shipped in from the States . It depends on the weight and size you need , but ordering from the States might be good idea when our dollar is at par . I know there might be some more suppliers in Canada too , I just haven't really needed to look . The netting is hard to put on , I know all about it , because it has that pull , you can easily pull it in different directions . Best to have 2-4 people putting it up . And if its not straight , only the birds know right ..lol  I know there is a plastic covered chicken wire mesh that I heard is excellent . And some people will use fishing net too . We need that 2 inch mesh with our heavy snow load , or you need a lot of bracing . But smaller pens wouldn't accumulate as much snow , you just need to hit it off when the wet stuff comes .
Shelan

#12 2014-10-23 10:38:46

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Raccoons don't go through a nylon net?

Black Ameraucana

#13 2014-10-23 13:47:05

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

Fowler wrote:

Raccoons don't go through a nylon net?

Raccoons aren't a big problem here. Now skunks and coyotes, that's another story. You really have to make the bottoms of the pens secure - not to keep your stuff in but to keep the preditors out.

• Index
  •  » Game Birds
  •  » to try raising pheasants, what would the easiest type be?

Board footer