AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2014-11-03 01:36:14

Tonto
Growing Member

Re: performance poultry order

Yes, the show in Red Deer.  I am very excited, I have a lady from Vancouver bringing me 4 bantam wyandottes, when she comes to show her chickens.  I am hoping for the show to be an excellent place for chicken purchases.  I too found some local breeders since my Performance Poultry order, and even though I paid more for the local birds, I am so much happier with them.  Also the local breeders have been a wealth of great knowledge, which is worth a lot to me.  Thank you to those local breeders who love what they do.

#17 2014-11-03 01:45:27

BC Buttercup
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

My own experience with Performance Poultry (PP) is not with Cochins, but with Sicilian Buttercups, and I literally received show quality birds. PP did source them in the US and shipped them from Ontario to BC and it was the ONLY way I ever could have gotten a start with Sicilian Buttercups from a Canadian source. Hatchery birds are not always sub standard birds.

I would have to agree that a group purchase involving many different breeds is a nightmare for both the hatchery and the client. I am not surprised that those kind of purchases are seldom a success.

Buying from local breeders can be a nightmare as well. Before Buttercups I was interested in a different breed and thought I would get the best start by going directly to one of the most reputable breeders at the time. I bought adult birds sight unseen and received a bunch of cross-bred birds - two of which were egg eaters.

That is my story. I would order from PP again in a heart beat.

Rare Sicilian Buttercup chickens and Belgian Hare rabbits. Raising lamb for profit with Border Cheviot sheep.
... and yes, we still have the cows.

#18 2014-11-03 02:08:46

Tonto
Growing Member

Don't get me wrong, the chicks that I did get from Performance Poultry were all alive and healthy.  I was not looking for show quality, but I would have actually appreciated getting the birds I ordered, or at least being told that I was not getting them.  What bothered me was the beyond rude service of him essentially saying that I was lying and being told that I could not be reimbursed -  from a business standpoint I do know that Visa works for both transactions.  Where is the good service from businesses anymore?

#19 2014-11-04 00:22:05

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

I have done several large orders with Ideal Poultry in the US and had very good results. They were not group orders, I picked the breeds and bought them myself, then sold the excess chicks to pay for the order. Both times it worked out really well, I essentially got my chicks for free-- minus my time of course.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Hatchery birds are generally not show quality, but they are less expensive and usually better layers. Show quality birds are only useful if you actually plan on showing your birds, or have an interest in breeding, improving genetics etc. I use my birds primarily as layers, and as pets to have wandering around the yard. For that purpose it doesn't matter if I paid $50 for my Wyandotte, or $15. Its still a chicken that lays eggs. And I don't feel so bad if that chicken decides to wander out of the yard and gets taken by a predator!

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

Board footer