AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-04-11 04:58:09

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Stone Man, the final update.

After seriously slamming Horse Daughter into the ground, and after HD having to make the painful decision to NOT continue with the horse, Stone Man was sent to a rodeo contractor for a try out.

Horse Daughter is a horse trader. She takes on a project, gets the horse coming along, and then sells it to a discipline she thinks the horse is suited for and enjoys. She has taken on several unbroken horses and gets them going under saddle. SHe took on Fergy, an enormous, unbroke Percheron mare with an attitude and a backside to match! Her own regular riding horse she also got as unbroken. HD is somewhat capable in the horse department.(if you Google pictures of Percherons, at least 5 pics of a young HD on that fat, roan mare come up)

But Stone Man was not a project horse. She did not bring him home with the intention of moving him along. Stone Man was to be her forever boy. That it didn't go that way has caused grief.

Stone Man spent some time at the stock place, settling in, and recently was tried out. The verdict is this: He is not pro-rodeo material, but he is most definitely amateur rodeo stock. Nice part is that he's no longer crazy, bad wild. You can actually handle him! He is not out to kill the rider, not screaming, no pinned ears. Just a big, powerful buck. The feeling of the contractor is that this horse bucks well, likes to buck, is not likely to give up bucking and is likely never going to be a riding horse. He bought Stone Man.

Horse Daughter did not get top dollar. Her goal was to get him to a place he would be looked after, used for his best purpose (bucking) and she did insist on a price above slaughter price, to ensure that was not going to be how he ended up. Had it turned out that he was no longer a bucker, but a dangerous riding horse, if it came time to destroy the horse, she would have made that call herself.

I asked how she was feeling. She said, "I was told I'd never catch him, halter him, pick up his feet, groom him,  saddle him, bridle him or ride him. I did all that.  I was also told he'd kill me, and that might have happened had I gotten on him again. I can ride well, but I am not a bronc rider. I can deal with a horse that gives me a half second warning the buck is coming. But with Stone Man, there was nothing. One second riding, the next second I was in the air. It was that fast. I am not equipped to deal with an entirely unpredictable horse, nor is that what I want in a riding horse. So I had to make a decision, and I did."

IT feels alien. This is the first time in years there has been no horse in the horse pen. Something feels gone, lost, empty. I say a prayer for Stone Man that his horse heart is happy and that his life is good. He was an adventure and I hope both he and HD went away better for the meeting. Everyone is alive. A happy ending after all.

Last edited by uno (2015-04-11 04:59:30)

#2 2015-04-11 05:00:11

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Stone Man, the final update.

Well done HD.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#3 2015-04-11 05:09:35

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Well done HD.

Taking things a day at a time.

#4 2015-04-11 06:07:14

Schipperkesue
Administrator

A very satisfactory conclusion for all involved...except perhaps you, Uno.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2015-04-11 10:59:30

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

HD has made a good decision.  Very unselfish decision.  She did what was best for Stone Man, not what was best for her or you.  Well done HD.  Sorry for your pain Uno.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#6 2015-04-11 11:33:03

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I am glad Stone Man has gone to a hopefully good home.
:hugz: to Uno & HD

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#7 2015-04-11 15:17:27

Ruffledfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Well she accomplished the impossible with him or so "they". She was extremely realistic about his future. I say it's a win win. Good for you HD.

psst uno I'm sure that pen won't be empty for long (whizzle)

Never let your fears decide your fate !

(Formally M C Squared)

#8 2015-04-11 17:54:13

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

uno,   So glad things worked out all the way around.  I know you miss him.  But maybe sometime you can go watch him buck.   At least HD took him far enough that he will be treated well. 

Being able to handle him, will make his life so much easier.   :Congrats2:  To HD and you. :)

#9 2015-04-11 18:53:02

GalaBoys
Banned

Good choice.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#10 2015-04-11 20:55:22

susanr

Good for HD for bringing Stony as far along as she did without giving up.  Very happy she found a good fit for him.  I am sure your heart hurts uno - I know mine is hurting for you.  Sending you :hugz:

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#11 2015-04-12 03:52:45

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

Well I am so glad the HD was able to find a place for him. I will keep my ears open and if they don't change his name maybe I will see him preform.  Hopefully he will have a long successful career.  And now that he is easier to handl it will be much easier to give him the best care.
Good job HD and Uno.

Me Hubby, daughter 2 1/2, son 14 days, 2 Tahltan Bear dogs, 2cats? Rode Island Red, Lohman, Astralorp and Americana cross chickens. Muscovy ducks, Touluse and Emdem geese.   5 horses, all of which hubby is training to drive. And one Tamworth/Large Black sow, assorted pigs of various ages. Two jersey cows.

Can't wait to get into rare and heritage breed livestock to go with our draft horses.

#12 2015-04-12 04:16:50

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

How is HD physically?  I hope she has recovered.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#13 2015-04-12 04:48:59

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Heda, physically I think she is on the mend although says her lower back has a pain that is not easing off. She is a regular with the chiropractor, who knows of both her hobbies; horses and large dirt bikes. He's been putting her back together for several years now.

But emotionally this is a sore spot. She feels she did the best thing for Stone Man by trying to get him where he belongs. But she still feels like she failed. Quitting does not come easy to her and although she made a wise decision, a practical decision, a mature and realistic decision, it still feels to her like quitting. And failing.

#14 2015-04-12 06:00:33

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

She can't look at it as a failure but more like a change of plans :) easier said then done I know. I could send you a pony if your lonely :)

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#15 2015-04-12 12:29:06

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

uno wrote:

Heda, physically I think she is on the mend although says her lower back has a pain that is not easing off. She is a regular with the chiropractor, who knows of both her hobbies; horses and large dirt bikes. He's been putting her back together for several years now.

Someone told me to practice keeping my stomach muscles engaged at all times.  Keep them about 40% tight.  Takes some time where you have to keep reminding yourself.  My lower back took a big leap in healing as soon as I started doing that.

Black Ameraucana

Board footer