AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-04-15 20:00:59

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Junk and other old stuff.

I was going to re-home that old milk separator that we unearthed in the neighbour's basement. It might be of value to someone. At least that's what I was thinking. But when it took two of us and a dolly to move the heavy thing I realized that wrapping it in bubble wrap and shipping it across Canada to a buyer was not an option! I contacted a local heritage museum but they have three already. So I decided to keep it for myself and turn it into a plant stand.

Other fascinating, unknown objects have been burping forth from the pile of accumulated goods in the neighbour's basement. I am not in charge of cleaning up. This mission is out of my hands. The people who have been given the task are staggered at the volume of STUFF they have to haul to the dump or sell or donate. As the days go by and hardly a dent is made in the pile, they are getting less and less picky about what goes where and more stuff is headed dumpward, simply because the time it takes to find an appropriate home is too much time. I can't blame them. THe house needs to be cleaned out, it needs to be sold.

In a large wooden crate we happened upon two objects that Hub could not identify. He is puzzled and stumped. We know that for a time Neighbour worked at the place the Avro Arrow was built. Hub wondered if these might not be very old aviation components of some sort. Photos were taken I have forwarded them to the Reynold's Transportation Museum in Alberta and am waiting to hear what the aviation experts there have to say. They might be lawnmower parts for all we know!

Came upon two universal joints by Spicer, in their original boxes, never used. Googled them to find how old they might be. Nothing. Called the Dana Spicer Co. and they do not have records for anything that old, not online and not even in hard copy. They gave me the number of a fellow somewhere in Michigan who deals in obsolete parts. I called. I could hear him rifling pages as I waited (gee, hope that was a toll free number!) and he says these parts were agricultural, for a small tractor of PTO, last manufactured in the early 50s. He suggested I throw them away.

I am trying not to be frantic over the unique and old items that are going to the dump. No, I do not want them all in my home, I am against clutter! But I cringe to think that somewhere some restoration person has been searching for a Spicer universal joint 5-61X, and here I have two, new, and I'm going to toss them in the garbage and dash his dreams of a stock restored garden tractor.

I want to help our neighbour's wife in her chore of getting 90 years of accumulation cleared up, but I have to admit it is causing me a certain amount of agony and stress. Why would anyone keep all this stuff prisoner? Stuff that they would never have a use for, stuff that someone else might use with great joy? This is, for me, a lesson in the very desperate need to let things go. I am pretty good at letting things go but this has been a crash coarse and a warning to NEVER allow myself to hold on to that for which I have no use. Keeping is the opposite of sharing. I am convinced, more than ever, that sharing is the only way to live.

Now I wonder what the Reynold's Museum has to say? Waiting .....

#2 2015-04-15 20:42:11

shootemup

Re: Junk and other old stuff.

Flog the works on ebay...global market, and the guys and gals looking for the unique, rare, old, or wonderful check it all the time.

#3 2015-04-15 21:03:37

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Defianately don't throw it out.   Their are Old Tractor clubs out there that will pass the info on.  Even the one in Armstrong.  For someone doing restoration, this could make them extremely

happy.  Give yourself a little time, looking into those things.  Please don't toss it.    Bet the separator stand looks great in your yard :)    What kind of flowers are you going to put in there?

I bet you are still going to be blown away,  ( hopefully not literally)  by the other things they find.  That must be some collection!!!  Hope you find more goodies. :thumbsup:

#4 2015-04-15 21:19:16

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Ha ha Lady Leghorn, that reminds me. As we were looking around came across a rumpled paper bag with DYANMITE in it! Woo hoo, I might be blown away, literally!  I bet it's as old as god. Perhaps unstable. I put that bag back down with great care.

#5 2015-04-15 21:31:52

appway

Dont Blow your self Up we wont have any of your Stories to read any more
and we will miss you

I am Just a Old Poultry Guy
And I state the facts

#6 2015-04-15 21:46:34

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Whoa,  I really didn't mean literally.  YIKES!!!!!!    Have fun, but be careful, please.  :shock:

#7 2015-04-15 21:55:16

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Cripes, I'm thinking you might need experts to come in and remove stuff like old dynamite.

Last edited by Fowler (2015-04-15 21:55:31)

Black Ameraucana

#8 2015-04-15 22:09:23

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Sounds like you need a lawn sale.  Let others decide if anything is of value, just lay out lines of these bits and ask a dollar for each (not the dynamite though - I can see it now, was it made by ACME? ).  Let them take it away...

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#9 2015-04-15 22:19:36

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Well Heda, people do buy the strangest things and leave very happy.   whizzle            But NOT the explosive stuff, wonder how much more is around there?????

#10 2015-04-15 22:30:47

spruceburnranch
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

If the bag actually has old dynamite in it, you need to get experts to remove it. When it gets old and starts to sweat, it becomes very unstable and dangerous.

Breeding Fleckvieh Simmental cattle (40 yr.), Great Pyrenees livestock guardian dogs ( 25 yr.) Berkshire pigs, Buff Orpington chickens, guinea fowl, Bourbon Red turkeys, and critically endangered Beltsville Small White turkeys.

#11 2015-04-15 23:46:34

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Not the time for a 'Blow Out Sale'.

Black Ameraucana

#12 2015-04-16 00:02:30

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

:rofl:

#13 2015-04-16 01:02:06

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

You people are sick.

TO those who are not finding this funny (ahem, Fowler and Leghorn) I contacted a dynamite guy. Man, it 'blows me away' that I am not only on a first name basis with the dynamit guy, I'm actually related to him. Related to my lawyer too, and dry waller, and electrician, and concrete pump truck driver, and accountant ... I digress.

Called dynamite guy who said if it is dynamite DO NOT TOUCH IT!

I glimpsed it for a brief second, in the dark, through the folds of a crinkled paper bag. All I saw clearly was red sticks, dynamite size and shape. Printing said 15 minute fuse.

Hub went over and looked, while I shouted after him, IS THE LIFE INSURANCE PAID UP!!!??  Turns out they are flares. Whew! Imagine my embarrassment. Also imagine how glad I am to know that no one is going to be accidentally blown up! However, there are many, many crates and boxes yet to be opened.

Also turns out that those unidentified parts things might be surplus army airplane engine starters. Like ... he was a tool and die maker turned sheep farmer. He was going to launch sheep? I don't get it.

Last edited by uno (2015-04-16 01:02:42)

#14 2015-04-16 15:00:43

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I've heard women say that they have a dynamite guy before, but never knew someone who actually had a "Dynamite Guy".  How much dynamite do you use anyway?

Black Ameraucana

#15 2015-04-16 16:06:20

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Fowler, just to refresh your memory, we live on BEDROCK. How much dynamite do I use? Personally, not a lot. After that one unfortunate incident I am no longer allowed to light and hurl, which, by the way, is an amazingly entertaining thing to do. But I had to hire a Dynamite Guy to do the driveway, the waterlines, the basement and the power pole hole. We could not dig a hole to place our power pole. We had to BLAST a hole. Soon you become on a first name basis with the Dynamite Guy.

Then as people buy lots and you wander over to see what's going on you run into the same Dynamite Guy over and over and yup, he's everyone's buddy. We all paid for his pool, his Porsche, his kids' braces AND their university education.

Then my cousin married a Dynamite Guy. Now I get him to blow stuff up.

Every now and then we still find blasting cap wires sticking out of the ground.

Board footer