AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-07-21 14:06:30

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Introducing sows

Hi

Any words of wisdom introducing a new pig  (a year old gilt) to a 2 1/2 year old sow?

Different breeds if that makes any difference.

Thanks

#2 2015-07-21 14:21:39

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Introducing sows

Can you introduce them through a fence first?  There will be a lot of chatting but generally sows are quite glad to have more company. There will be a little chasing on and off while the new pig learns the local manners and establishes rank. Serve feed in different tubs to make sure smaller one eats at first.  Good luck!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#3 2015-07-21 14:41:25

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes I think we can figure out how to corner off an area or put the new gilt on the other side of the fence from where Charlotte is now living.

That is good ti know, I was worried about fighting.

Thanks muchly!!

#4 2015-07-21 19:32:35

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Yes, they will fight, we found out sows and gilts way harder on newby's than boars or barrows.  I suggest when they have met through a fence, to make sure there is lots of room first off in the pen, so no one gets cornered, and have a hose ready to spray at them if things get nasty.  A little pushing against each other is normal, but sometimes, they start getting on hind legs and really biting and pushing, a hose can separate them and at least keep them cool if nothing else.  Our sows we separated the first time they farrowed, and when everyone was weaned put them together again, and they fought hard!!  It was scary, we thought because they had known each other, it would be fine, but nuh-uh...the bottom pig ended up the top hog, and so forth after that.  They never fought again after that, but we farrowed in groups from then on, as well..  Putting a strong smelling something on their noses and above tails can help, too.  Of couse they know its a new pig, but it can make introductions a little smoother, we used vanilla extract.

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#5 2015-07-21 20:36:36

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Hey thanks!

The pasture is about 1.5- 2 acres. There is a smaller pasture right next to that one that they 'could' meet through.
I haven't acquired the second pig yet.. .figured if I got responses back that suggested I don't have the right set up, I would wait until I could construct the correct one.

the current sow also has her babies (well they are 4 months old now) with her still too.

#6 2015-07-21 20:50:29

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I don't know but, would it make things better if you turned them out into a new pasture?  I mean new for both of them.  Once they get along, you could enlarge the new area to include the area that the sow is in now.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#7 2015-07-21 20:52:02

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

That might be something I can research. Like when you bring a new dog home, better they meet the other dogs on neutral territory...

I will also look thru articles on the Prairie Swine site maybe they have some 'dominance' articles.

Thanks!!!

Board footer