AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-09-10 00:17:30

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Stone Man, the ebook.

Many of you have encouraged me to write. You do realize that unless I'm talking to you directly, I am at a loss. I can't write to no one, so I write for all of you. But I have been kicking around the idea of trying to write the Stone Man story as an ebook. Self publish. It's a whole different thing from print media days and there is lots to research. But not fully understanding the whole process is one stumbling block.

Another stumbling block is the story itself. It doesn't have a happy ending. It was a roller coaster ride of awesome accomplishment, then the badness of crashing, a struggle to place him where he could be used, he doesn't work out there, he is about to come back to the girl who loves him when his behaviour prevents that and the decision is made to slaughter him, before someone truly gets hurt trying to make him into a riding horse. How do I write a horse story, aimed perhaps at the pre-teen horsey crowd, that has a terrible ending? Horse slaughter ending? No one wants to read that!

I struggled, does every story have to have a happy ending? How do you talk about horses that die, even though you love them madly and kiss their face and breathe into their nostrils as you also breathe in that horse scent yourself? How do you craft that so people don't hate your story when the horse dies?

THen there was the phone call.

Do not read past here if you want to save the ending for when my ebook comes out: SPOILER ALERT!

Horse Daughter is here today doing something with her numerous, beater trucks. I am outside with her. Her phone rings. Hello ? she says, she does not recognize the number. All I hear is her side of the conversation:

"What? You're kidding. No way. That's awesome! I am so happy to hear this! Thank you for phoning me! You've made my day. I couldn't be happier!"  She hangs up and looks at me.

They kept him. They didn't slaughter him.    He was no good at the amateur level, he quit bucking. And that's why they called me to see if I wanted him back. Well after he wouldn't load, the stock guy was mad. He thought, to heck with you, you stupid horse! YOu won't buck, you won't load, you better be good for something! So he got one of his cowboy crash test dummies to get on Stone Man with a little metal motivation (spurs) and see if that improved his desire to make air. BOY DID IT! Stone Man is now being bucked on the pro circuit. Rodeo guy says he has a massive, powerful buck. A little oke in the rib and the Stone Man dishes it with the best of them! He is alive! They didn't slaughter him! They invited me out to watch him buck. Oh mom, I am so glad he's alive! I can't believe it!

Well. I still don't know how to publish an ebook. But I don't think I have to write the sad ending just yet. Stone Man has lived the true bucking horse life, up and down, up and down, kick and roll, twist and land on your feet. This has been a crazy ride. From this point on I don't want to know what happens. I just want to picture a fat and sassy Stone Man slamming some rodeo dude into the dirt, and being happy to do it. We are sure happy he gets the chance to!

If I had not seen all this with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe a word of it. This has been a good day.

#2 2015-09-10 00:21:31

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Stone Man, the ebook.

Ha!  The horse ends up doing what he loves best!  If he is as half as good as you say he is, he will soon be a favourite draw.  A horse that will give you a ride you can win on!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#3 2015-09-10 00:26:03

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

clpz   Waiting!!! For the ebook! I hope you take paypal!

#4 2015-09-10 00:30:30

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Ooh! Yay!! Can't wait.

#5 2015-09-10 00:31:17

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

That's wonderful news! I bet you needed that.
And yes he beat the odds because not all stories do end well (Old Yeller for one)
ebook please.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#6 2015-09-10 01:15:08

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

I am very glad there will be a happy ending. I never recovered from The Red Pony.(I read this in grade school). Still hate Steinbeck.

#7 2015-09-10 01:25:47

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Me too, Robbie. I remember that book so well, and was utterly traumatised.

#8 2015-09-10 01:52:48

yardbirds
Administrator

:thumbsup:  Yay for Stone Man and for you and HD.  Can't wait for the e-book either.  clpz

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#9 2015-09-10 02:07:50

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

That is fantastic-really, truly fantastic.  I think the book should end with half a dozen- or maybe even a dozen big lush photos of him bucking...

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#10 2015-09-10 05:51:09

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

That is the best news I've heard all day.    :wine"     Was obviously there, he must have got lazy?     If you have to end the story a different way, he could go

to a bucking horse retirement home.   Please do write that story, and yes, take Paypal. :)    :cool"

#11 2015-09-10 10:10:59

AuntieEvil
Website

Life, like the Stone Man story, has ups and downs. We shouldn't overprotect our readers from this. Lots of stories end up in sadness. You are a captivating writer, and that is a gift we all appreciate you sharing.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#12 2015-09-10 12:05:11

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

I am smiling, at Stone Man and thought of your e-book.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#13 2015-09-10 12:54:31

susanr

Oh yay!!  A good ending for Stony after all :D  I can feel how pleased you and HD are after that phone call - I am pleased too.  A happy ending after all.  I know nothing about writing but, uno you indeed have a gift for it.  Write it - just write it and then figure out where to get it published.  It's a great story.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#14 2015-09-10 15:55:09

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I bet he will be a stampede champion! Those horses are gold! Glad things turned out!

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#15 2015-09-11 05:10:16

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

:thumbsup: Absolutely wonderful!

Taking things a day at a time.

Board footer