AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-09-30 15:41:06

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

You've gotta love horses

I have one large, pesky guy in the backyard. He gets pesky around 3pm if I'm around the barn, even though he doesn't come in until 5pm. Sometimes I shut him in a different part of the field, yesterday I didn't, hoping he would go away and eat grass. He kept bugging me and I finally slapped him on the side with the back of my hand. I have severe wrist arthritis and the pain of slapping him made me let out a blood-curdling scream that was heard in all corners of the neighborhood, I'm sure. Well, that had an effect. I sat slumped waiting for the pain to subside and my horse came over and gently nuzzled my neck and then licked my entire back from my head to the top of my jeans. Funny guy, at least he stopped his pestering. It was very sweet :cool" Gotta love'im!

#2 2015-09-30 16:00:08

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: You've gotta love horses

Horse kisses, slobbery and loving and hopefully not leading to horse nibbles, which can hurt! Careful of that wrist!

#3 2015-09-30 16:01:57

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

AAAwwww............     what a sweetie. :aww:

#4 2015-09-30 20:56:00

susanr

Aww - he was trying to make you feel better.  What a good boy :D

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2015-10-01 04:23:42

farmerrick

Those darn horses, gotta love em!

Aylesburies, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Katahdin/Dorper Sheep, Alpacas,Horses, Donkey, Dogs,Cats-1Great Wife
Mickle's Hill Farm
West Kootenays
British Columbia

#6 2015-10-01 10:12:15

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Aww, that's sweet.  Sorry about your wrist.  My hubby has severe  arthritis and it can be very painful.  Take care of yourself.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#7 2015-10-01 13:31:58

edgewaterchickens
A.C.E. Addicted

Very cute :) I wouldn't know what to do without my horses, they bring a certain joy to life.

#8 2015-10-01 22:14:05

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

His behavior is interesting because he can be very naughty with nipping, etc and yet he seems to know when I'm really painful. Doesn't play naughty guy at those times without me giving any cues (like getting mad at him). Maybe they can read pain in another animal? I think they can because it's happened a few times. He's a terrific horse. So glad and lucky to have him!

I've had the feeling many times they read us a lot better than we are aware of.

Last edited by Sunfeathers (2015-10-01 22:18:05)

#9 2015-10-02 14:05:25

susanr

Sunfeathers, all equines (donkeys, horses & mules) communicate very well by using body language with each other - it is necessary as they are "prey" animals.  They are masters at it.  We (humans) communicate mainly verbally, which equines learn from us.  But, they still watch our body language carefully.  When we are in pain or sad, we may move a bit more slowly than usual or, perhaps unconsciously not move an injured limb as "normal".  Equines are also very good at reading facial expressions - when we are in pain our "features" change whether we are aware of it or not and, they notice that too.  When we have a "bond" with our equines, they pick up on all these very quickly and want to help their human & herd boss get back to "normal" as quickly as possible which, sometimes consists of just being soft, gentle and loving - they are concerned for our welfare as we are about theirs :D

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#10 2015-10-02 16:13:32

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I guess i'm just amazed that they can learn it so so well across species. That tells me they are much smarter than we realize. I think we are far worse at reading bdy language because of the giant ego most of us carry around.imo

#11 2015-10-02 17:19:35

edgewaterchickens
A.C.E. Addicted

I find horse owners/trainers are much better at reading body language than most. Not just horse's cues - dogs, cats, people ect...... I notice that I watch more than I talk and can pick-up on things most people don't even notice. I don't think it's an ego thing. Mine is learned behavior - pay attention or you will miss your learning/training window, you have to be on your game and constantly watching and moving with your animals. I also have spent more time with my pets than I have ever spent with people. lol.

#12 2015-10-02 19:22:41

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I agree edgewater chickens. I think there is a fair bit of learning cues, etc but you also have to be able and willing to get your ego out of the way too, and it sounds like you do. You need to be open to seeing what's going on. For example, I could have decided that my horse was going to bite me the other day and pushed him away but instead I trusted him. I guess most people wouldn't have taken that chance. I learned something nice about my horse, that I can trust him so it was worth the risk. As a former riding teacher, Idon't think I could recommend doing it to students :D This horse has a reputation for biting and other not so nice behaviors that we've slowly been working on.  It's nice to see signs of mutual trust.

#13 2015-10-02 19:33:38

susanr

This is my first venture with working/training any equines and, of course, had to start with mules.  I learned very quickly to leave my ego at the gate in order to observe their behaviour in order to work with them to get the results I wanted.  Naturally, not the same approach works with each one of them - they have their own different personalities - just like people.  This past winter, I took Jake (my best buddy) into the corral on a fairly nice day (sunny with not much wind).  There was space next to the corral fencing with no snow but, 5 ft out from there were very high drifts - in some places higher than the 12' fencing around the corral!  Jake wanted to check out the drifts and waded into them.  All was well until the drift was high enough to touch his nether regions.  Needless to say, he bucked, kicked and got out of there as quickly as possible.  A couple of days later, I walked out to the pasture & just for fun, "fell" down onto the top of a high, hard drift to see what the mules would do.  Frankie & Johnny came to check me out picking their way through the lowest spot.  To my surprise & delight, Jake also came to make sure I was alright but, he chose to wade through the deepest spot with no concern about it touching his lower region.  Guess he must like me :D

#14 2015-10-04 03:36:08

farmerrick

There are 3 things you need when dealing with a horse,
Patience
Respect for their inteligence
A really good sense of humor
As I have said before, 'The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man/woman'
I am privileged to be able to have time with my horses every day. Some days not enough, but just that quiet nickering when I feed, is enough to give me some peace, regardless what the day has dealt me.

Aylesburies, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Katahdin/Dorper Sheep, Alpacas,Horses, Donkey, Dogs,Cats-1Great Wife
Mickle's Hill Farm
West Kootenays
British Columbia

#15 2015-10-04 22:02:25

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

They really are lovely, peaceful animals.

Board footer