AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-10-24 15:58:31

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Buckeyes: Compare 1905- present

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_2558.jpg

Let's explore the bird from to to bottom.
Lets start with the head.

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#2 2015-10-24 16:23:37

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Re: Buckeyes: Compare 1905- present

!905 SOP:SHAPE OF MALE
Head – Of medium size, carried well up. 2010 DIFFERENCE:  dropped
Beak – Short, stout, regularly curved. 
Eyes – Of medium size, full, bright, with bold expression.
Comb – Pea, small, firm, set closely on head.
Wattles and Ear-lobes – Wattles, of equal length, moderately rounded. 1910 DIFFERENCE: Wattles and Ear-lobes – Wattles, medium size, of equal length, moderately rounded, flowing well over shoulders. 2010:  DIFFERENCE: Wattles:Moderately small, well rounded, smooth
Ear-lobes, of medium size; fine in texture.           2010 DIFFERENCE: Medium Sized

COLOR OF MALE
Beak – Yellow, shaded with red horn. 1910 DIFFERENCE: Beak – Yellow, shaded with reddish-horn.
Eyes – Red.  1910 DIFFERENCE: Eyes – Reddish-bay.
Face – Bright red.
Comb, Wattles and Ear-lobes – Bright red.

SHAPE OF FEMALE

Head – Of medium size, carried well up. 2010 DIFFERENCE:  dropped
Beak – Short, stout, regularly curved.
Eyes – Of medium size, full, bright.  2010:  Dropped bright
Comb – Pea, small, firm, set closely on head.
Wattles and Ear-lobes – Wattles, of equal length, moderately rounded.  2010 DIFFERENCE:Wattles: small and round
Ear-lobes, of medium size; fine in texture. 1910:  No longer asking for fine in texture.

COLOR OF FEMALE
Beak – Yellow.  2010 DIFFERENCE  Beak:  Yellow, shaded with Reddish Horn
Eyes – Red.  1910 DIFFERENCE:Eyes – Reddish-bay.
Face – Bright red.
Comb, Wattles and Ear-lobes – Bright red.

This is the differences from the SOP.

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#3 2015-10-24 16:44:28

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Understanding the SOP:
Beaks:  The beak of a Buckeye should resemble that of an Aseel Indian ( cornish ) Game- this was used in the development of the breed.  It needs to be strong think and strong.  Anything that is hooked ( crow looking) is weak and thin and should be avoided in a breeding program.
Colour:  The ideal colour is overall yellow with some reddish horn.  But, don't keep the less yellow out of the breeding program if the shape is strong.
Combs:  Defined pea comb! you can see all three rows and they are held close to the head.
Wattles:  Moderately small.  Compared to other breeds they will almost appear to be absent.
Eyes:  It is important to maintain the SOP in eye colour and stay away from light orange and yellow and green eyes that do arise. 
Head:  Thin and elongated heads should be avoided.  The width and shape of a buckeye should reflect its Asiatic heritage by having a well rounded head width and wide head structure.  There should also be a moderate brow ridge above the eyes which the eye sits under ( like a bird of prey).

#4 2015-10-24 17:03:02

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Here is a head of one of my young Cockerels
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_2555.jpg

Beak:  good shape
Colour:  Not enough yellow  I would like to see more going up the beak
Eye:  Would like to see a darker tone.  May darken as this is a 22 week bird
Wattles:  Nice with no folds
Comb:  nice pea comb, would like to see a wee bit closer to the head but at least it is not standing up at the end. 
Head:  I would like to see more width and more brow line.

#5 2015-10-24 17:21:40

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/aa5ba2c9-f201-42a7-9d7b-8f5abd5e73a0.jpg

PULLET: 22 weeks old.
Beak:  nice yellow line.
Comb: Nice and tight to head.  And she has a pea comb that is well defined.
Head:  Nice and wide.  This is a 22 week old shot.
Wattles:  Nice and tight!
Eyes:  Nice ad dark!

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-24 17:22:53)

#6 2015-10-24 20:41:03

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

wozhoo  Thanks La-chicken!!!  bow2u .  Sounds as if they were a wee bit more particular in 1905. Thanks for your hard work putting this together I found it very helpful.
A couple of questions-

"Wattles, medium size, of equal length, moderately rounded, flowing well over shoulders. "[b] I don't understand the flowing well over shoulders?
And: at 22 weeks, are  these be the full sized comb and wattles on hens and roosters, or will they keep getting larger? If so, how much larger (e.g will they still double in size, etc.)?  Is there such a think as comb/wattles too small?

Thanks again. I'm going to post a picture of my Buckeye rooster with the comb and wattles from he77! goodzbadzangelz  Don't know where they came from!!! LOL.

#7 2015-10-24 21:44:56

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

A few things, one thing that I think it is vitally important to note is that the 1905 standard weights are 1/2 pound lighter than those found in the  most recent edition.

Also, Robbie, if you have a cockerel with excessively large wattles that could be an indication that that animal is only heterozygous for pea comb, and thus also carrying the recessive single comb. The gene responsible for producing the pea comb, has some additional trails linked to it, such as reduction in wattles, a more pronounced dewlap under a birds beak(most apparent in old hens) and some slight changes to feather growth patterns.

I know with chanteclers, when you see a bird with large wattles, that is a tell tale sign that the bird is heterozygous for pea comb, and is not expressing these linked traits as strongly. The same should hold true with all pea combed breeds.

I just want to FARM!

#8 2015-10-24 21:58:24

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

True about the weight Butterboy. We haven't even got to that part of the SOP.

Just concentrating on the head.

Love your explanation of the recessive single comb gene

#9 2015-10-24 23:30:48

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Butterboy wrote:

A few things, one thing that I think it is vitally important to note is that the 1905 standard weights are 1/2 pound lighter than those found in the  most recent edition.

Also, Robbie, if you have a cockerel with excessively large wattles that could be an indication that that animal is only heterozygous for pea comb, and thus also carrying the recessive single comb. The gene responsible for producing the pea comb, has some additional trails linked to it, such as reduction in wattles, a more pronounced dewlap under a birds beak(most apparent in old hens) and some slight changes to feather growth patterns.

I know with chanteclers, when you see a bird with large wattles, that is a tell tale sign that the bird is heterozygous for pea comb, and is not expressing these linked traits as strongly. The same should hold true with all pea combed breeds.

One of the hens that hatched from that clutch has a single comb - let me know what you think- I've been thinking there might even be a different breed in there because of these weird combs!  I'll try posting a picture tomorrow.

#10 2015-10-25 12:07:26

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

I think recessive single combs are a common problem in Buckeyes across Canada. This may be an indication of RIR being used in the past, which is not an entirely bad thing, the only problem being that the breeder that made this cross did not finish their work in breeding out the single comb before releasing these birds to others.

If you have a pullet from the same breeding with a single, I would strongly suspect that your male is a single comb carrier. This does not mean that you cannot see these birds if their other traits are superior, it just means that some test matings will need to be conducted in the future to truly eliminate the single comb. Test mating has very specific protocol and can take some time, but the results they produce can put you years ahead in your work, especially when you are trying to eliminate a recessive trait like a single comb.

I just want to FARM!

#11 2015-10-25 13:17:58

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

This is an amazing post, and thank you la-chicken and your comments too Butterboy.  If I was still a buckeye breeder, I would be listening with all heart, only half listening though because I don't.  Chantecler_eh? had some very nice buckeyes, that was where my stock originated, along with some blood from the US.  I think that his Mother still has the buckeye breed at her place, but Chantecler_eh? is not involved with breeding much at this time as he is a'schoolin' I think.  Beautiful picture of the boy la-chicken.  Keep on keepin' on with the breed.  One day I may come to you, smiling that big smile, and get some.  When I have room, for another breed.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#12 2015-10-25 14:20:50

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Cynthia M:  jump in!  Welcoming all thoughts!

I would like this to be a resource post.  A Network kind of thing that brings the Buckeye people together.  Ask the questions.....see the good, bad and ugly of the Buckeye in the breeding world of today.  Where they have changed from Nettie Metcalfe's vision in 1905.

I understand that each breeder has his or her own vision as to what they want for their bird.  But, If we can ALL breed a better, stronger vibrant bird we are doing the breed justice.

#13 2015-10-25 14:37:34

yardbirds
Administrator

Just made this topic a sticky to make it easy to find   :D

Thanks la-chicken

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#14 2015-10-25 15:14:15

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

NECK,BACK, BREAST, BODY, WING,and TAIL-  no talking about plumage yet.  This will be talked about on it own.

1905 SOP: Male
Neck – Of medium length, well arched, tapering nicely; hackle, abundant, flowing well over shoulders.

Back – Broad at shoulders, rather long, rising with slight concave sweep to tail; saddle feathers abundant.
2010: Rather long, broad throughout its length, sloping slightly downward to the base of the tail.  Saddle: medium in length.

Breast – Broad, deep, well rounded, carried somewhat elevated above the horizontal.

Body and Fluff – Body, rather long, broad, deep, full, heavy for size of bird; keel-bone, long, straight, extending well forward. Fluff moderately full..
1910: Body, long, broad, deep, full, heavy for size of bird; keel-bone, long, straight, extending well forward. Fluff, moderately full.
2010:Body: rather long,broad, deep, full, heavy for size of bird, extending will forward.  Keel Bone: long and extending well forward. Fluff:moderately full. 

Wings – Of medium size, well folded; wing-bows and wing-points, well covered by breast and saddle feathers respectively.
2010:  Medium in size, well folded, fronts covered by breast feathers, points by saddle feathers.  Primaries and Secondaries- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

Tail – Of medium length and size, carried moderately upright; sickles and coverts, of medium length, nicely curved, sufficiently abundant to cover well the stiff feathers.
2010: Medium in length, carried at a 40 degree above horizontal.  Main Feathers:broad and overlapping  Sickles: medium in length, nicely curved,sufficiently abundant to cover the stiff feathers.  Lesser Sickles and Coverts: nicely curved and sufficient abundant to cover main tail feathers.

FEMALE:
Neck – Of medium length, well curved, tapering nicely to head, where it is comparatively small; hackle, moderately full.
1910: Of medium length, well curved; hackle, moderately full.
2010: Medium in length, well arched.  Neck feathers: moderately full.

Back – Broad, rather long, rising very slightly to tail.
2010:  Rather long, Broad, sloping slightly downwards to base of tail.

Breast – Broad, deep, well rounded, carried somewhat elevated above the horizontal.

Body and Fluff – Body, long, broad, deep, full, heavy for size of bird; keel-bone, long, straight, extending well forward. Fluff, moderately full.
1910: Body, long, broad, deep, full, heavy for size of bird:keel-bone, long, straight, extending well forward. Fluff, moderately full.
2010:Body: rather long, broad, deep, full, heavy for size, extending well forward. Keel Bone: long and extending well forward. Fluff: Moderately full.

Wings – Of medium size, well folded.
2010:  Medium in size and well folded. Primaries and secondaries- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

Tail – Of medium length, fairly well spread, carried moderately upright.
2010: medium in length, fairly well spread carried at its angle of 30 degrees above horizontal.  Main Tail:broad and over lapping.

Ok what does this look like?

#15 2015-10-25 15:33:56

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

This shows the broad shoulders and back that should be a characteristic of a Buckeye.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/taylor%20rooster%20eating%20-great%20color.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/back%20shot_1.jpg

Board footer