AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2015-10-25 15:38:42

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Re: Buckeyes: Compare 1905- present

Tail Carriage

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/22%20week%20cock.jpg  22 week old

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/Shumuker%20Cock_1.jpg  Not my bird but I am aiming to breed to this high quality bird fro Shumaker Farm in Ohio.

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-31 15:33:15)

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#17 2015-10-25 15:41:49

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Breast: 
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/22%20week%20pullet_1.jpg  22 week pullet of mine.

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#18 2015-10-25 19:47:40

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

La-Chicken, I have been thinking about tails....

In your picture at the beginning of this thread the birds tails appear fairly whipped, as in having poor spread, while those in more recent publications and photographs have greater tail spread.

There is no difference in the way the standard is written in regards to tail spread, so this makes me wonder, are the birds depicted in those 'aspirational' pictures faulty in this respect, or has 'fairly well spread' been misinterpreted ever since.

I just want to FARM!

#19 2015-10-25 19:59:04

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Butterboy!  Good eye, I will post a Shumuker  Cockerel Champion Bird that has a much more control on the tail spread.  But, there is that tails with the super party in the back that needs to be avoided.  You now, the tail that creates a natural part?  Too much.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/Shumuker%20cock.png

And stay away from the pinched tail as well.

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-26 00:13:17)

#20 2015-10-25 21:09:50

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

la-chhicken any idea how old the cockerel is in the last photo, in the blue booth?

#21 2015-10-25 23:40:48

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

I do not know the exact age. But looking at the spur growth I would say less than a year.

#22 2015-10-25 23:59:26

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Great post, they're lovely birds!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#23 2015-10-26 00:17:58

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

I should add that the hens should NOT have a cushion at the tail base. 
Here is another picture from Shumuker Farms showing a wonderful back line and breast.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/Shumuker%20hen.png Beautiful uniform of colour.  Oh ya, Not talking about that yet!

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-26 00:19:51)

#24 2015-10-27 15:35:31

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Here are some pics of my only 23 week old Cockerel. He's a very nice boy BUT............... I don't think he's breeding quality. Humongous comb, (a single comb cross??) white tips in his wing feathers................ maybe a slightly bent couple of toes. He's a big fellow, and has some good points. He's out with the mixed layers. My concern with him is, is he just a Buckeye with faults, or is there another breed lurking in there? I think that each time I look at him- not quite all Buckeye, but I don't have another mature buckeye for comparison other than photos.  What do you think? Worth a test mating or forget it?  He's darker and a bit more evenly coloured than the picture shows.
[img]http://s6.postimg.org/3tik57m4d/012.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s6.postimg.org/f753gewn1/Randy.jpg
And here's a nice rear end view of a Buckeye  hen, not yet laying but I like how wide she is. Supposedly the sign of a good layer I believe!
[img]http://s6.postimg.org/5p9xu40cd/Hen_But.jpg

Last edited by Robbie (2015-10-27 15:38:00)

#25 2015-10-27 23:36:52

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Ok Robbie, Lets strictly look at the bird from the eyes of the SOP that we have covered to date.

Head: I can't tell the width on the male but, the hen looks like she has a nice wide head.  Wider heads = wider frames....
Beak: I like the yellow with the horn.
Eyes: Sorry to say.  I think they are on the lighter shade. Still in the acceptable area. Aim for eye colour that is darker.
Comb: party on the top!  Robbie  You called it correctly....looks like a single comb os in there. 
Wattles: Do not want them any bigger.  I have a couple with this size.  Smaller would be better.
Neck: I like it!
Back: I can not tell the width but profile line looks good.
Breast: I know he is a young bird this will fill out in the next 6 weeks.  You should see a noticeable difference.
Tail:  I like it so far.  Again, you will see a noticeable difference as he ages.

Have not talked about colour or feet.

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-28 00:27:37)

#26 2015-10-27 23:47:13

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_2561.jpg and he he is 8 month old.  Here is an example of a larger wattle and a correct wattle.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_1906.jpg Here is a cockerel that is the same age as yours Robbie.

#27 2015-10-28 00:42:26

yardbirds
Administrator

:thumbsup:  :lovedrool:  BEAUTIFUL!!! w.i.n.

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#28 2015-10-28 00:58:37

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Legs, Foot and Toe Time!
MALE
1905:highs, of medium length, large, well covered with soft feathers; shanks, of medium length, stout, smooth, well set apart. Toes,
of medium length, straight, strong, well spread. Shanks, and toes free from feathers and down.  COLOUR:Yellow, shaded with red horn.

1910:Legs and Toes – Thighs, of medium length, large, well covered with soft feathers; shanks, of medium length, stout, smooth, well set apart. Toes,
of medium length, straight, strong, well spread. Shanks, and toes free from feathers, stubs and down.
COLOUR:Yellow, red back of scales not a defect.

2010:  Legs are well set apart, straight when viewed from the front.  Lower thighs- medium in length and size, well and smoothly feathered.  Shanks- medium in length, stout and smooth.  Toes- four on each foot, medium in length and size, straight, well spread.  Colour : yellow

FEMALE:
1905:Thighs, of medium length and size, set well apart.  Toes, of medium length and size, straight, well spread. Shanks, and toes free from feathers, stubs and down. COLOUR: Yellow, or reddish yellow.

1910: Thighs, of medium length and size, set well apart.
Toes, of medium length and size, straight, well spread.  Shanks, and toes free from feathers, stubs and down. Colour: Yellow

2010:  Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from the front.  Lower thigh: medium in length, large, well and smoothly feathered.  Shanks:  Medium in length, stout and smooth  Toes:  four on each foot, medium in length, straight strong, well spread.  Colour:  Yellow

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-28 00:59:07)

#29 2015-10-28 01:08:27

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Presently: I have some birds that are lacking in leg colour.  Everything else is there!  This is a goal that is easy to fix if it is just colour.

Now remember, this is what holds the bird up.  My rule is Skinny legs...small frame.  Stout legs and well spaced legs= stout  wide body, heavier bird.

Disqualification and NON Breeding birds: 
Duckfoot:
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/images.jpeg

#30 2015-10-28 01:30:30

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Robbie:  To answer a question about your hen.  You need to check the pelvic spread.  The wider the spread the better the egg laying ability.   This holds just as true for the roosters.  If you can place your thumb comfortably in the spread you have a better chance producing good egg layers. 

Why is this important to check the rooster?  Because he sends half of his genetic make up to the offspring.  Pelvic spread can be checked on very young chicks as well!

Board footer