AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Swine
  •  » pigglet with bubble but (picture added)

#1 2015-12-02 20:16:13

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

pigglet with bubble but (picture added)

I am not sure what else to call it.
I have one pigglet out of ten who has developed what I call a nubble but.
On the top of his rump, above his tail,  is a extra bump/muscle?
He has not been cooperative in me getting a picture.
I know I have seen a picture of it somewhere. But after going through every book I own that mentions pigs.
And over an hour online.  I can't find out what it is called.
So there for, no idea what caused it and so on.
I will try again this afternoon for a picture.
But any ideas would be a great help.

Me Hubby, daughter 2 1/2, son 14 days, 2 Tahltan Bear dogs, 2cats? Rode Island Red, Lohman, Astralorp and Americana cross chickens. Muscovy ducks, Touluse and Emdem geese.   5 horses, all of which hubby is training to drive. And one Tamworth/Large Black sow, assorted pigs of various ages. Two jersey cows.

Can't wait to get into rare and heritage breed livestock to go with our draft horses.

#2 2015-12-03 03:30:45

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: pigglet with bubble but (picture added)

How old is he?  Is it actually on his spine? Any chance of back injury when younger and now a malformation?

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#3 2015-12-03 05:11:51

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

Is it a actual growth or maybe a injury ? I have seen slivers ( wood ) that will produce a bump once healed or inflamed ? Tried looking it up as well , but without a name for it that is used it's a grab to find for certain what it is ..............if u can post a pic once it gets cooperative

#4 2015-12-12 19:44:30

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

I finally got ahold of the little wiggler.
I believe prairiedog is right, it does seem to be liquid filled like an injury, but I can't find a mark on him.
Perhaps a sliver?
I'm debating whether I should lance it or not, he doesn't seem bothered, but it hasn't gone down at all.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w342/Legilmyth/DSC_9834_zpsbbkp8lby.jpg

Me Hubby, daughter 2 1/2, son 14 days, 2 Tahltan Bear dogs, 2cats? Rode Island Red, Lohman, Astralorp and Americana cross chickens. Muscovy ducks, Touluse and Emdem geese.   5 horses, all of which hubby is training to drive. And one Tamworth/Large Black sow, assorted pigs of various ages. Two jersey cows.

Can't wait to get into rare and heritage breed livestock to go with our draft horses.

#5 2015-12-12 23:40:39

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

Shave the area, and see if you can see anything!

#6 2015-12-12 23:49:07

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

If u can touch it ( get help ) and see if it has fluid , if so do a small cut and bleed it , separate it for the time to heal as pigs are nasty , and then antibiotics for a few days ..... Penicillin and it should be good to go  , one of mine had it on a leg and after a week it was gone  actually my biggest one now ?

#7 2015-12-13 03:30:28

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Odd spot for an infection or abscess, but hard to drain if he was punctured or bit at some point...could be edema perhaps?  from some sort of injury that did not break the skin...?  Is he eating, drinking fine, temp OK?  I would be inclined to lance it as well, on a low side to allow for drainage...if its just faintly bloody fluid, its edema, if nasty and thick and greenish...abscess...and it will smell too.  We had pigs with edema in their ears, due to running through the stall door in the morning at feeding time.  At any rate, a shot of antibiotics would not hurt if you are concerned about infection.  A call to a vet may be smart, too.  It is in an odd spot!

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#8 2015-12-13 08:24:23

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

That is weird. From the photo, it looks symmetrical on both sides of the spine. You wuld think a random injury, like a puncture or sliver would only swell at the site, and not spread in a neat pattern. (unless I am seeing it wrong)

Curiosity would kill me. I'd take one of those fat cow needles, shave a small spot, sterilize with some sipping whiskey (and a shot for you and a shot for the pig) and poke in the needle and leave it in there, and see if anything drains out. If it is clear liquid, bloody liquid, or guck too thick to flow out the needle, or no fluid at all but just thick tissue ... all of it is information of some sort. What sort is a good question!

#9 2015-12-13 16:18:52

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hard to tell from photo but given symmetry wonder if it is double muscled?  Is it disabled or otherwise normal?

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#10 2015-12-13 18:41:10

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

Thank you all for your input.
The bump is very soft and squishy,  to me it says fluid filled.
pigglet is happy, healthy and one of the largest in the litter.
He was casterated ladt week along with all his brothers and he is doing great.

Heda: I thought maybe some type of weird muscle at first as well, but after feeling it I think it is fluid.
I will have to see if I can get a neighbor to come help me hold him to lance it. As hubby is currently laid up.

I will keep you all posted.

#11 2015-12-13 20:04:38

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

heda gobbler wrote:

Hard to tell from photo but given symmetry wonder if it is double muscled?  Is it disabled or otherwise normal?

I wondered too, if he had pietrain blood in him,but you;d think the double muscling would show up along his loin and chest/shoulders too... very weird indeed!!  Let us know what you find out Funky!

#12 2015-12-14 00:52:17

Hillbillyreefer

For obvious reasons, keep your mouth closed as you lance it.  Yes I learned that the hard way.

Saltwater reef tanks not pot!

#13 2015-12-14 03:38:42

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

A fluid filled bump is much like a bump one of the dogs had about 6 weeks ago.  In the case of the dog the bump was on his side and appeared to be filled with water.  He had a small wound on the opposite side as well.  We concluded it was likely the result of a cow kicking him or a horn in the side (or both).  He and his sister were usually in the cattle yard at feeding time, but after the bump appeared they stayed at the gate or outside the fence.  Both the wound and the bump soon disappeared, but those two now stay away from the cattle.  The bump could be from an injury.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#14 2015-12-22 17:22:27

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

Well I was finally able to get a needle into that bump.
full of rusty colored fluid.
I drained it out through the needle.
There was oodles of it, but it flattened out the bump pretty good.
But I noticed last night that it looks like it is back up.
I am thinking I am going to have to lance it so it has a bigger drain that I can keep open for a few days.
And then I think he may have to come live in the house for a couple days.
Momma is a good pig, but it can be hard getting around here to catch little squirts.

#15 2015-12-23 13:47:02

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

I might not drain it, as if it's not infected, the pressure can prevent further leakage under the skin.  Something is injured and weeping under the skin????

• Index
  •  » Swine
  •  » pigglet with bubble but (picture added)

Board footer