AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-12-19 02:51:11

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Sick horse

Horse Daughter's newest horse, her Alberta warmblood, is sick. Very sick.

This new horse shares a stable with her old horse. Old horse is NOT sick. HD feels that old horse has been around the block and built up an immunity. But new horse is a baby (3), never having left the home place before her move  here. She has probably not been exposed to many bugs and has no immunity. So what seemed to be a common horse cold has progressed into secondary problems. Raspy, wheezing breath, great gobs of green and white snot, lethargic, head down, off food, watery diarrhea. Losing weight rapidly.

Vet attended. Said it is a virus, can't treat a virus, but can treat secondary problems.

Horse is EXTREMELY skittish and reactive and HD has gone to great lengths to not inflict any negative experiences on the horse, as it is still very new and settling in. Vet had a hard time even getting near the horse as it is very one person oriented. Did not take temp but safe to assume horse has fever. Also did NOT give horse a shot, not wanting to imprint horse with negative vet associations. Left HD with bute for sore throat and antibiotics to sneak into horse in her food.

Problem, horse will not eat anything offered. She has been offered sweet feed and soaked beet pulp with molasses and salt, nope. Nothing doing. Flings the bowl and walk away. HD says if she does choke down a mouthful she chokes and coughs up a wad of slime and food.

HD is now entering frantic, spastic stage where she sees her $$$ keeling over dead and is mad at vet for not giving the horse a shot of antibiotics.

This vet has served us well in the past. I have seen him make hard calls for the good of a horse. If he thinks the horse needed a shot he'd have given her one. In the meantime though, she does need the boost of an antibiotic.

Any tricks or tips greatly appreciated.

#2 2015-12-19 05:52:17

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Sick horse

Is she putting Bute in the food?  I actually syringe into my horse, like a wormer...but not sure if that would work with this ones personality...?  Could try hiding antibiotics (assuming its a pill) in half an apple, or piece of carrot?  Thats all I can think of, if she's not accepting the yummies already offered.  If its an IM shot of antibiotic needed, perhaps she can get the dose from the vet and administer it herself, if horse is calm with her, probably would not notice a shot in the neck after a few good pats...pat, pat, pat, needle in? My old riding horse was a gem to give needles to.  My huge wiener of a draft, sees the vet with a syringe and stars quivering, big 'ol lip pouting!  There is a topical numbing cream my vet uses before sticking him, works like a charm, but I have no idea what its called.
Best of luck to HD, a sick horse is no fun, a sick hard to handle horse would be worse!!  Hope horse gets better

Last edited by mountainharvest (2015-12-19 05:53:17)

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#3 2015-12-19 06:35:29

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Thank you Mountainharvest. SPent some time tonight at the cold, dark stable watching HD try to roll the antibiotic and bute laced muck into balls and stuff it in horse's mouth. Horse would spit them out. I kept asking HD if her hands were cold. It was so windy! She said no, it's nice and warm inside a horse's mouth!

I think tomorrow  HD will try squirting stuff in with syringe. The horse has been VERY spastic about having her mouth / lips handled. HD thinks someone twitched her and it is not a happy memory. I was impressed she could handle the horse's mouth at all, that is real progress. But HD says no, it's just a sign that the horse feels too horrible to put up much fight.

Tomorrow a buddy is coming to give the horse a shot. Horse daughter has her own injection routine. IT's called pat, pat, pat faint and lay in the horse poop. So we don't even attempt that stuff.

Poor pony is hacking, snotting, gurgling. Major ick.

Last edited by uno (2015-12-19 06:35:54)

#4 2015-12-19 07:46:53

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Crap this is what happens after shipping sometimes.

I would do everything possible to get meds into her. Mix bute with apple sauce and syringe like wormer. Soften pills with water and mix and get them in. And if you must twitch the "cow" and get a dose into her. Better then her dieing.
Sick horses never easy and especially one with minimal handling.

Good luck!

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#5 2015-12-19 14:03:34

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Do you have Zev? It's served me well in the past and my horses never seemed to mind the taste, mixed in with sweet feed. It might help with the respiratory symptoms. Bute tastes very bitter.
If she can't breathe while she eats, she won't eat.

Last edited by Robbie (2015-12-19 14:05:22)

#6 2015-12-19 14:44:13

countrychicken
A.C.E. Addicted

If it's viral then antibiotics aren't gonna help anyways no?

my observations being around horses is don't pay more that $100 for one

Last edited by countrychicken (2015-12-19 14:46:25)

#7 2015-12-19 15:53:52

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

My sympathies.  As fuzzy says this happens with shipping sometimes.  Always wonder if the stress lowers the immune system.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#8 2015-12-19 16:39:44

Susan

CC, antibiotics help for the secondary infection which it sounds like the horse has (thick yellow/green snot). One shot won't do the trick however, and a course of seven to ten days will most likely be needed.

Owned by my birds! Euskal Oiloak, Hungarian Yellows, Bantam Frizzles, Saxony Ducks, and a whole lot more :)

The more I learn, the less I know.

#9 2015-12-19 17:03:54

Island Girl

This must be very difficult for you and HD. I have no suggestions as I have never had the chance to be owned by a horse but I do love my animals and I know you do too. I hope you are able to get meds into new horse and that she takes a turn for the better. :hugz:

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#10 2015-12-19 17:12:21

Thor
A.C.E. Addicted

Maybe Riva Remedies has a spray that would work?
I know her product Gastricol is amazing for gas colic.

#11 2015-12-19 18:47:54

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Robbie, what is Zev? Have not heard of it.

CountryChicken, the vet said antibiotics will not treat the initial virus, but are indeed for the secondary problems that have shown up.

I think HD wrangled a friend into giving a shot today. That was the last plan I hear anyway. Poor pony, she was so sad, snotty and droopy last night.  At least she is learning that her mouth can he handled (formerly a freak-out zone) and the worst that happens is someone jams icky food in that you spit out. No worries.  Thanks everyone.

#12 2015-12-19 19:00:03

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Zev is a tonic for livestock of all types has been around forever my gramps used it when livestock was in poor shape. If I remember right it is a Buckleys product .

#13 2015-12-19 19:05:54

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Google it Uno  it actually has one for horses so is still in Production

#14 2015-12-19 19:21:47

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

IN goats and sheep it's called "shipping fever". Stress drops the defenses down and they get Pneumonia, sometimes pink eye or scours.

The antibiotics will stop any secondary infection from happening seeing as immunity is compromised

Here is a good article for shipping fever in horses  http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/mob … ping-fever

#15 2015-12-19 19:37:44

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

CathyJK, read the article and that sure sounds like that could be the problem. I hope as I type this that horse is getting a shot because she needs something to help her out!

Board footer