AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2015-12-19 19:44:01

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Sick horse

Shipping fever with a side of strep zoo is my guess. Even if you can do one bottle of excenel ( once daily bottle usually lasts 4/5 days depending on size. Then switch to oral meds. You can also give injectable banamine orally. Might help faster then bute. Still bitter though.

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#17 2015-12-19 20:00:11

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Excenel is usually our vet's choice for a variety of issues.
You  might have to give up on the notion of doing things that don't require an injection -- we had a jersey cow that need antibiotics and it was awful to give but better than not.
For the pig we had with mastitis, i honestly didn't think i would even be able to give a shot so we tried oral antibiotics and that was  more or less a joike and it didn't work.

HOpe the horse is feeling better right quick!

Last edited by CATHYJK (2015-12-19 20:02:31)

#18 2015-12-19 21:00:49

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Uno.....:sorry: to hear HD horse is so sick.  Sick horses are no fun.     This sounds awful to say, but I hope she had insurance on her.   Will be  :praying: for her.

#19 2015-12-19 21:35:30

niglefritz

I know you are talking about a horse, but something that I did to keep our old dog going for awhile was give her some old (many years old... :blushing: ) cow colostrum that I had in the freezer. She hated it...growled at me as I syringed it into her mouth (I am sure I saw a glare too), tried to spit it out, and later tried to avoid me after she perked up some, but it had her go from shaking & not holding up her head to walking away, albeit slowly, within a couple of hours. I was impressed. I will be saving some again come the next calving.

It has vitamins and minerals and who knows what else. Is there some way to get any horse type colostrum into the horses mouth? Just a suggestion as far as some immunity boosting & nutrition.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#20 2015-12-19 21:52:17

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Fuzzy, oddly enough yours  is the second mention of Excenel I have heard today.  Previous I had not heard of this med. Talked to a horse friend who suggested a 3 day course of Excenel injectable to get the horse on the go. I called vet and asked if I could purchase Excenel. He said he would show up and do intravenous bute instead. So there was no answer to my question, can we buy Excenel? Even though we do not do shots there is no shortage of people who have volunteered to help out, so yes, we could get someone out to do a shot. But my vet did NOT offer a bottle of the drug.

Niglefritz, I had not thought of the colostrum idea. We have none of our own. SOmetimes vets have a supply but mostly use it for newborns who are struggling. An idea worth investigating though, thanks.

#21 2015-12-19 22:14:14

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Uno, our vets like Excenel because I think more of it gets used in the animal  None of our vets like or think the 'long acting antibiotics" like Penicillin LA actually are in the bloodstream over a long period of time and therefore not as effective. They like it even over a drug like Nuflor.

Excenel comes in two parts, a liquid and a powder that you mix and then use -- freeze all that isn't used -- will keep for 3 months.

I think you have to get it from a vet.

#22 2015-12-19 22:50:16

fuzzylittlefriend
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Ya I would ask again. It's hot for respiratory infections. You would probably get 4 25 ml doses out of a bottle.
I would ask again. Iv bute for what? Fever? She needs antibiotics if there's green goo coming out. I don't have my usual secret stash ( I must have used it and not replaced it) or I would say come get it! Call somebody else see if they dispense it. Pen g would need to give twice daily and huge amounts.

Breeding d'uccles in Mille fleur and porcelain
Australorps
White call ducks and welsh harlequin
White sebastapol geese

#23 2015-12-19 23:03:14

DaronwyK
Website

So sorry to hear about your daughter's horse. Unforunately I'd agree, she needs antibiotics for the secondary infection. I have one mare that will not take bute any way but syringed down her throat like wormer. It's never fun but sometimes you do what you have to. There is nothing that makes you feel more helpless than watching a horse struggle like that. As long as she's drinking keep trying to tempt her with food, she'll need the calories to help fight this off. Let us know how it goes. A friend of mine just dealt with a horrible joint infection with her young horse (he was a yearling). Poor baby ended up on IV for two weeks. Your poor daughter. Horses do love to trample on our hearts.

~~~~~~@~~~~~~
Standard Polish, Salmon Faverolles & Swedish Ducks

#24 2015-12-20 00:55:25

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Uno Zev used to be made by Buckley's, it's a useful cough  syrup, breathing aid for heavey horses and really cleans out the sinuses. (Great for head colds, used it on myself a few times as needed!)  It used to be better, they changed the formula but it still works quite well.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/zev-can.html

Last edited by Robbie (2015-12-20 00:57:44)

#25 2015-12-20 21:04:29

Funky Acres
A.C.E. Addicted

Hi Uno
Do you have any oil of Oregano?
My dad was doing horse teeth for a trainer in alberta. Huge stable lots of horses in and out to compatitions.
says he keeps a bottle of oil of oregano, give an dropper full in the mouth, under the tongue if possible.
The horse doesn't have to swallow it, it is absorbed through the gums.
It helps booth inmune system.

Me Hubby, daughter 2 1/2, son 14 days, 2 Tahltan Bear dogs, 2cats? Rode Island Red, Lohman, Astralorp and Americana cross chickens. Muscovy ducks, Touluse and Emdem geese.   5 horses, all of which hubby is training to drive. And one Tamworth/Large Black sow, assorted pigs of various ages. Two jersey cows.

Can't wait to get into rare and heritage breed livestock to go with our draft horses.

#26 2015-12-20 21:13:51

Journey's End

uno wrote:

Fuzzy, oddly enough yours  is the second mention of Excenel I have heard today.  Previous I had not heard of this med. Talked to a horse friend who suggested a 3 day course of Excenel injectable to get the horse on the go. I called vet and asked if I could purchase Excenel. He said he would show up and do intravenous bute instead. So there was no answer to my question, can we buy Excenel? Even though we do not do shots there is no shortage of people who have volunteered to help out, so yes, we could get someone out to do a shot. But my vet did NOT offer a bottle of the drug.

Niglefritz, I had not thought of the colostrum idea. We have none of our own. SOmetimes vets have a supply but mostly use it for newborns who are struggling. An idea worth investigating though, thanks.

Not suer about there, but here in PEI you can get powdered colostrum at the feed store. Not sure if it's any good (we freeze goat colostrum for emergency) but it's better than nothing.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#27 2015-12-21 06:04:41

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Horse Daughter has managed to get antibiotics and bute into the horse with a large syringe, squirted into her mouth. Injuries were acquired (to Horse Daughter) but some stern lessons in We Do Not Strike People With Our Enormous Front Hooves was handed out, to the horse.

Horse is not doing a lot better, I think the drugs she's getting are probably slow acting, lots of it landed on the ground and in HD's hair and clothes, plus the horse is quite sick so it's going to take some time. But at least some of the meds made it down the horse's gullet. Now to patch up bruised and battered HD. THank you everyone, now we wait and see .........

#28 2015-12-21 11:06:56

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Uno, I wish I knew more about horses than I do so I could offer up some advice.  Looks like our ACE family has stepped up and shared a lot of useful information. We do have so many wonderful people here on ACE, so willing to help out. I hope that the information they provided will help with the young horse.

Sorry to hear that HD got injured in the process of administering the meds.  It can't be easy on her or on the horse.   We appreciate all the updates.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#29 2015-12-24 19:15:47

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Uno, how is she doing? I've been very busy but thinking of sick horse and remembering how hard that is to deal with and at Christmas too. Hope she is doing a bit better. Best wishes.

#30 2015-12-24 22:02:33

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

SUnfeathers, the horse is improving. She still has a snotty nose but it's clearing up instead of the thick yellow / green goop it was before. Horse Daughter is wanting to take one of those day courses on how to inject your horse, etc. I think if we'd had a bottle of Excenel (which I've heard very many good things about) and given the horse a few shots, her recovery would have been quicker. Plus it would have saved HD the time it took to mix goop and try and force the horse to eat it. Live and learn, and pay the vet, as they say. Thanks for asking and Merry Christmas to you and your family. And everyone else too!

Board footer