AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-12-21 18:25:56

Living Savary
Growing Member

Staring a hobby farm in BC

Hello everyone.

I am starting a hobby farm here in Savary Island (just north of Powell River). It is a small island with a few year-round residences (most are retirees). We are off grid !!!!!

After 15 years in Toronto & NYC, we quitted our jobs and moved here in 2014 to have a fun happy relaxing life.

I have been planing and researching this hobby farm thing for 4-5 years now and we are finally starting this new project next Spring 2016. Our property is fenced in. 2 sections (residence on the ocean front. Garden and farm in the back). We have no legged predators here on the island....so it is a little easier to have the birds here.

I am looking for suppliers/ hatcheries who can get me started on heritage breeds chicken (Buff Orp, Blue Cochin, Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Cornish (white/Jubilee), Maran ), Duck (Peking, Blue Swedish, Runner, Magpie, Ayslesbury or Silver Appleyard), Geese (Embden, Dewlap Toulouse, Blue American), Turkey (BBB, Ridley Bronze, Borbon Red, Bettesville, Blue Slate) and Guinea Fowl.

I have not found any good suppliers here in BC. Most place are home biz with a few breeds and won't ship.

Savary is a bit difficult to get to/ out. Closest town is Powell River. I could go to Comox/Courtney but that is still a whole day trip.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Living Savary (2015-12-22 03:46:40)

#2 2015-12-21 19:51:08

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Staring a hobby farm in BC

:Welcome to ACE: from Barriere, BC.
My suggestion is to deal with those small poultry producers for quality stock that is not generally obtainable from the commercial producers like McMurray Hatchery.  Some on this forum will ship small numbers, some will meet you at a convenient Tim Horton or some will do a ride for feathered creatures.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#3 2015-12-22 02:10:50

Living Savary
Growing Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I will keep my eyes out on here and maybe contact a few who are close by. Unfortunately, Savary is a bit remote to get to anywhere. To Comox is a boat trip, a drive and a ferry ride ( aprx 3 hours). To Vancouver, it takes me a whole day. A boat trip, a few drives, 2 ferry rides (aprx 5-6 hrs). Anywhere else, is additional travel time from those points on.

Most of the time, I have to combine a few things together in one trip to the city. And with ferry schedule, it is normally minimum 3 days round trip for me. A day down, a day running around and a day back. So if anyone can ship to Powell River, it would be best.

#4 2015-12-22 02:17:42

yardbirds
Administrator

:Welcome to ACE: and glad to have you here.  Good luck with your quest. 

When you have a moment please add your location to your profile.  If you need help with that...just ask.  :D

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#5 2015-12-22 02:30:13

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

:Welcome to ACE:

I think you will find many of us live in remote BC- we are 3 hours from a town, a full day to Vancouver.  You have to be resourceful to find the birds and animals you want.  I have got a lot from the Gulf Islands, I think you will find you are well positioned to find many of your breeds.  Good luck!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#6 2015-12-22 02:37:22

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

You might check the sea planes that fly to Savary Island as they may fly in poultry for you.  The service may be better than we get through Canada Post or Greyhound.  A small note about Cochins.  Blue Cochins are lovely, but like typical blue poultry they don't just breed as blues.  Some will be black and some will be a lighter colour that we call splash.  There are some nice Cochins on Vancouver Island and some in the BC Interior.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#7 2015-12-22 03:26:48

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

You could always try Performance Poultry but it would require a trip to a major airport.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#8 2015-12-22 03:33:51

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Beau Peep in Chilliwack may be able to help if you only want hatchery quality .

#9 2015-12-22 03:40:40

Living Savary
Growing Member

Thanks Heda. I have been in touch with Jason Cain at Performance Poultry for the last few years. Lol.

I literally spent the last 5 years or so, studying chicken, ducks, geese. Design the farm and all the chicken coops and duck house. I am little crazy that way. Always over prepared !!!

If it goes as plan, I'll be getting most of my birds from him in spring 2016. He'll ship them to Comox. So it will be a day trip for me.

Still, there are a few more breeds that I want and he does not have it. So far I read some earlier posts and seem that I might be able to get some of those birds from members here.

Any more suggestions or advices, please throw them my way. I can use as many help as I can get here

#10 2015-12-22 03:45:49

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Hello and welcome!

Just a suggestion...some breeders will also sell hatching eggs, a little easier to ship, though without risks for sure!  Being off grid (our goal as well!) an incubator probably is not on the list, but a broody hen or duck can successfully hatch out and raise a clutch of your hard to find breeds.

All the best of luck with your beautiful sounding spread!

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#11 2015-12-22 06:02:07

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Performance Poultry has supplied some wonderful birds in the past to many of the members of this forum.  Some breeds come from his own flock, but  many people will suggest that much of what he markets come from Ideal Hatchery in the States.  At one point a few years ago we ordered from Performance.  We don't have early warm weather like our friends at the coast so we wanted our order late in the spring.  The day before we were scheduled to pick up our order at the Kamloops Airport the order was cancelled.  You must order early with Performance and choose an early delivery date.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#12 2015-12-22 07:00:01

Copiouskeep
Growing Member

I am curious as to you having no legged predators ? Are there no raccoons or weasle type animals ? Good luck finding your birds shop local/small farmers dedicated to heritage breeds as much as you can :)

#13 2015-12-22 07:48:02

debbiej
I Love A.C.E.

:welcome:  hi from The Island,  I would buy from the small guy.  Most breeders have quality birds. I guess it depends on what your plans for the birds are. Eggs for yourself, meat birds

Euskal Oiloa,  Dorkings,  Guinea Fowl , 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#14 2015-12-23 03:05:30

Living Savary
Growing Member

Hi Copiuskeep: Here on Savary Island, we don't have racoon, weasel, bear, wild k-9, wild feline nor rat.

Only predators we have, are those with wings that can fly over here from mainland. Hawk, eagle, Raven, owl,crow.

#15 2015-12-23 13:52:07

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Welcome to our forum, from the north Okanagan of BC, northeast of Enderby.  Sounds like you live on a very beautiful little island. This was a lovely introduction and sounds like you will be very happy.  I am a breeder of two of the breeds that you are looking for.  Buff orpington and cochins.  I have been breeding them for several years now and have some lovely stock.would do well to start a new post on your search for the breeds of fowl that you would like.  You will get more replies when you do this.  I will have some adult cochins for sale in the new year and will be hatching out chicks in the colours of blue, black and splash (those are the possible varieties when mating blue cochins to blue, black or splash cochins, blue genetics here playing a role).  I may have a trio or quad of said cochins for sale, a 2 year old blue rooster and 2 or 3 young point of lay hens in the near future.  Anyways, do start a new post.  Hatching eggs are certainly the easiest to have shipped to different places, Canada Post is everywhere, smiling.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

Board footer