AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-03-09 04:21:29

DaronwyK
Website

Who has horses? (Day 3/10)

Just seeing how many fellow ACEers also have horses. How many do you have & are there any interesting stories about how you got them?

I have three horses and an incorrigible pony. We shipped all four from Ontario to Alberta at the end of last October. Two of my four are former school horses that I had a soft spot for. The one mare, Chesney, had been slated to be euthanized by the owner of the riding school for chronic lameness and something about it just didn't sit right with me. I bought her for a dollar and moved her to another stable where we put her on 24/7 turnout for six months and she came sound as a dollar. A year later this mare broke her knee (accessory carpal bone) and needed eight months of stall rest and then a slow rehab. My vet did not have high hopes for her being rideable again....however she again came completely sound.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q603/kmgrinton/dills%20and%20barn%20022_zpsnvewvnia.jpg

The pony was my favourite to use for beginner lessons (lunge line) but out on her own she is very much an advanced ride. When the riding school closed down, the only person who wanted her was buying for another riding school and since we were about to move to our acreage...I decided to take her with us. She's a large pony so I'm light enough to exercise her, and she's a great pasture buddy for my mischievous gelding.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q603/kmgrinton/Aviary%20Photo_130921993560320553_zpshpk0dzhc.png

~~~~~~@~~~~~~
Standard Polish, Salmon Faverolles & Swedish Ducks

#2 2016-03-09 04:31:31

GalaBoys
Banned

Re: Who has horses? (Day 3/10)

I have two paints. They're mostly freeloaders, but the kids ride them in good weather.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#3 2016-03-09 06:48:25

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Horses. Ugh.

#4 2016-03-09 11:21:48

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

We have 2 horses and a friends welsh pony we borrowed to keep Pace( zebra Dunn from hurting himself on his freak out, when I take Shanti out to play with her.)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/Rain64/Untitled-1%20copy.jpg%20pace%20shhanti%20my%20painting%20small.jpg
The picture of Shanti is my acrylic painting I did

We bought both at an auction in 2013.. My husband seriously spoils me.. I said I wanted a horse for my birthday and I got one.
Both these horses were ridden in the auction. But because of my Spine I am really cautious, getting on a horse. I finally got on my Shanti  last year briefly and my Son rode her around in the pen for about 10 minutes. I have been doing ground work with shanti since I have had her.
I enjoy grooming her, and walking her. Shanti is my 3rd horse I have ever had  in my life. She is very confident and gentle. Pace was bought to keep her company, he is the first zebra Dunn I have ever personally known. I think he is so beautiful, but Pace is afraid of his own shadow at times.

My husband got me my very first saddle I have ever had last year, so I am hoping this year I will be on her riding a little over our fields.

Last edited by crestedbird (2016-03-09 11:23:08)

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#5 2016-03-09 13:33:51

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

DaronwyK  those are beautiful horses. I always wanted a paint. But I known over years many are experienced rider horses. I am not one.
So when we went to auction, I completely left the bidding to my husband who knew horses all his life.. I said.. get me a calm horse. and his pick for me was perfect!
GalaBoys.. you are so lucky have paints.. any pictures of your freeloaders?

#6 2016-03-09 14:49:04

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

In February of 2006, we had to put our old faithful family friend to sleep. She was 39. She was the last horse my mother rode and the first horse my oldest grandchild rode. Genetically she was Tennesee Walker/Welsh Pony cross.She was born at Paradise Valley. Her then owner traded her, her mother and a sibling baby to a neighbor for an unspecified number of poultry. A lady at Marwayne bought her for her girls but she kept getting out of their pasture and I don't think the girls were all that interested anyway. My daughter bought her to use in her 4H horse club. My daughter was 10, Pepsi was 5. She didn't win any beauty contests but she did win the trail class every year. She honestly would do anything you asked of her.

#7 2016-03-09 14:54:03

edgewaterchickens
A.C.E. Addicted

I have owned horse for 30 years :) Couldn't imagine my life without them. I have two Appendix, my mare who is 24 and I have owned since she was 8 months old, she is mostly retired to my lawn mower now and takes that job very seriously. And my 10 year old gelding which is my main riding horse. Will be adding another onto the farm this year for a second riding horse.

#8 2016-03-09 15:08:04

Schipperkesue
Administrator

crestedbird wrote:

Shut the front door!  That is not a painting!  It is a photograph!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#9 2016-03-09 15:22:37

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

Schipperkesue wrote:

crestedbird wrote:

thanks .. my specialty as a freelance artist was critters :) It is a painting lol I cropped it to post though lol

#10 2016-03-09 15:32:25

Schipperkesue
Administrator

crestedbird wrote:

Schipperkesue wrote:

crestedbird wrote:

thanks .. my specialty as a freelance artist was critters :) It is a painting lol I cropped it to post though lol

Would you be interested in doing a commissioned Schipperke painting for a best of breed prize for our national specialty in August of this year?

Or...a gift certificate to the winner so you could actually paint one of their dogs?

Pleas PM me with price if you are interested.

#11 2016-03-09 15:33:48

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

Schipperkesue wrote:

crestedbird wrote:

Schipperkesue wrote:

Would you be interested in doing a commissioned Schipperke painting for a best of breed prize for our national specialty in August of this year?

will pm you

#12 2016-03-09 15:34:44

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Ha! you caught me while editing!

#13 2016-03-09 16:15:01

Thor
A.C.E. Addicted

We have three Canadians. But we have had others.

I saved a Oldenburg mare from being euthanized, the stable Vet said she was full of arthritis and wouldn't be suitable for dressage. The owner contacted me. We took her. Turns out she is a from a rare European bloodline of Jumpers on her Sire's side. Once she had the freedom to move, she wasn't stiff anymore. Rehabbed her for 2 years. Our Vet checked showed no arthritis. Found her a forever home. She competes in light endurance and has had a foal. Happy story

Last edited by Thor (2016-03-09 16:15:34)

#14 2016-03-09 20:56:09

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Painting!?  (mind blowing up)

#15 2016-03-10 01:25:27

DaronwyK
Website

Stunning painting!

~~~~~~@~~~~~~