AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2016-03-10 19:43:58

jackieb22
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Who has horses? (Day 3/10)

currently our equine family members are Kim DD's dark grulla QH mare that is her everything from 4h to rodeo's horse as long as it is her lol, this mare and I get along but I am NOT her person I just give the occasional treat/food. Her soon to be 1 yr old dark grulla colt Duke he is soo not like his mom great pocket pony should be a great horse in a couple of years. My crazy bay pinto Paso Fino Mare is Kat short for La Kachina del Mistico, she is pretty but brains have not caught up yet and she is 8. Memphis is a bay curly/paso cross that I am currently leasing out to a friend of DD's and they are in love lol, great mare a bit taller than I like but a sweetie, then there is the newest addition Serena a sorrel she is the full sister to my first Paso she was an abuse case but the lady that took her in did her no favours by just playing games with her for 6 years. Her sister came from the same situation but the 2nd owner took her to task and broke her to ride and show in 6 months they are smart but all she knows is fear. Well just something to work on lol

helping the underground chicken

#17 2016-03-15 05:30:57

Blaithin
Website

I have a paint lady. Was given to me by a friend and co worker with a couple contingencies tacked on. No breeding, no selling, give her back if I can't have her any more sorta deal. She's well broke and an all around good horse but I'm not confident enough to ride her often. I really need to change that though because if I rode her more I'd have something else to bring up when Mom complains about her. My mom is about the farthest you can be from a horse person. All troubles on the acreage seem to stem from my freeloading, fat pony it seems.

I enjoy her though, just need more confidence on her back LOL

She had an issue last summer with some wire. What horse doesn't?! And after being an awful patient she ended up eating the cut skin and eventually losing a third of her hoof :shock: Because of her rough history pre me - getting hit by a car and breaking her pelvis, getting her leg out a trailer while travelling.... she's an accident on four legs even worse than many other horses - and because of this I couldn't just give up on her because of a technical nail issue. So I found a really good farrier (Who I should probably call as we're well past at least two trim dates whizzle ) and she's doing superb. Her hoof is even starting to grow back and other than the initial week of injury, she's never even been lame.

There are no excuses for me not to ride her! Especially in this weather.

#18 2016-05-23 15:37:16

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Just seeing this now and had to comment on your painting cb. It's stunning! You are talented!

#19 2016-05-23 15:56:06

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

Blaithin  I know the wire thing both the horses we got from auction both have scars around a front foot.. most likely wire.. All you with paints so lucky :)

Thank you Sunfeathers, I always was a horse lover as a kid used to sketch them and sell from my grade
9 locker at school.. who says schooling can't help you make money lol. Wonder if that was against school bylaws lol 2.00 a sketch lol big money eh? lol :veryfunny:

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#20 2016-05-23 19:42:38

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Beautiful work, Crested!!! 

I had a appendix (QH X TB) paint for 13 years, since he was 2.  Sold him a few years ago when I was pregnant with my number 2, no time for riding with babies :crying:  not fair to keep him as a lawn ornament, and hubby was complaining about him eating too much money...so he bought himself a team of Percherons, beautiful, great greys, Gus and Daisy, with high hopes of moving them to our property and horse farming with them.  So, there they sit, eating away having been in harness once since we brought them home 3 years ago!!  Just no time to hitch and go for a drive, and the property we are on now is mountain side with nowhere for them to work.  Moving is put on hold until this 3rd (due in 2 or less weeks) baby is old enough to live 'roughing it' on our new property, another few years.  In the meantime, the team are enjoying their semi retirement...just hope they remember how to work after all this time off ;horse;  I hope to get a riding horse again one day, but in the meantime would settle for a Shetland that I could drive with the kids...the team are very gentle and so good, but just too big for them to be around while I hitch up, and I cannot get their heavy leather harnesses on by myself, they are 18hh!  I am tall, but those harnesses are HEAVY!!

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#21 2016-05-24 16:02:47

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I see where someone (can't recall who) posted that they had a horse with a broken leg (knee?) and it recovered very well. I hope this is the case because HD is bringing home a racehorse , EX racehorse also with a broken knee.

He is about 7 years old and up to 8 months ago was a stud. He has raced his whole life. He is not considered broke to ride and apparently is a handful of attitude. I have been instructed to STAY OUT OF HIS PEN AND MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO TOUCH HIM!!!  Oh joy. ONe of those.

During a race another horse clipped him, he went down and did several flips on the track. Jockey was ejected violently. I saw the footage, it was pretty horrible to watch. I am amazed he didn't break his neck! HD feels he will need lots of spine work after a tumble like that. She wants to see if he can be rehabbed into a jumper. SInce he was a big money horse many vets were consulted and he arrives with a huge folder of medical information. He has been deemed sound, as long as that pesky bone chip doesn't start migrating around. But no one has been on his back in almost a year.

Horse is supposed to arrive this coming Thursday.

#22 2016-05-24 17:16:31

susanr

Oh uno - I know you will be happy to have another horse there ;)  You were missing seeing one as I recall in a much earlier post.

Yikes on it being hard to handle though.  Hope HD can calm it down some - I admire her courage on taking this project horse on though.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#23 2017-01-24 02:57:42

HamaaraHof
Growing Member

;horse; Yup, rescued Standardbreds and young Haflingers ;horse;

Saxony, Pekin, Cayuga and Muscovy ducks, SL and GL Wyandottes, dilute Orpingtons, Bourbon Red turkeys and Standard Rex rabbits
Bernese Mountain Dogs
Haflinger Horses

#24 2017-01-24 06:18:12

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I have horses and ponies but I can NEVER admit how many.  My husband DOESN'T know (he has a vague idea, driving by the pasture)  and if somehow he discovered the actual number it would make my home life miserable. 

I do pay for everything to do with them and do all the work for them, but he thinks ANY horse is just a hayburner and one woman only needs one horse.  Of course he probably feels the same about pairs of shoes, he just won't admit it.

I like my horses and when friends and family comes we can go out riding in a group.  Also I have a horse or pony for every mood, mellow or suicidal. 

I know Uno will be out there offering new crazy horse toast and honey within the first 24 hours, mostly because Horsey Daughter told her to stay away.  Watch this space.  Or maybe (hint hint) Uno will start a new thread about this new HD project.  We live in hope!

Last edited by heda gobbler (2017-01-24 06:18:55)

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#25 2017-01-25 06:50:31

Grandma Art
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hi ya....  I have horses. I call them my ponies.....   I had horses for lots of years, but got out of them for about 10. Back about
4-5 years ago it all started on one cold winter day....   My eldest daughter was looking at buying a horse and I suggested to her to
get a Gypsy Vanner.  She had never heard of them so she dug in and started to search and read and decided to get one.  She found
a couple mares and took them home to play with them.  One of the mares was bred and when she had the foal, there were problems and
the filly lost her eye, so my daughter gave her to me.... That was the start of the story. You CANT have just one horse.  Now I have a very nice Stallion, 3 Gypsy Vanner Broodmares and a Clydesdale broodmare,  I have 2 coming yearling fillies also.  I will post pics, but if you would like to see my webpage just go to http://www.sheltiesalberta.com/gypsy-vanners.html/         ( I hope it works.)

Last edited by Grandma Art (2017-01-25 06:50:57)

The windy home to a couple  Gypsy Vanners,  Reg. Shelties, Cuckoo Marans, African Geese    and my loving husband that puts up with us all.   God bless his lil heart .......

#26 2017-01-25 15:27:47

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Grandma Art, the link gave me an error message. I would LOVE to look at your ponies. I will NOT allow Horse Daughter to look at your ponies. She will want them. All of them. She is bad. (nice to see you again after a long absence)

#27 2017-01-31 03:23:50

jackieb22
A.C.E. Addicted

Uno seeing as I live close to Grandma Art and have played with her 'ponies' and so hasn't my DD yes don't let her see the pics lol

helping the underground chicken

#28 2017-02-23 04:46:09

LadyDemac
New Here

I guess I am a lucky women cause my husband loves horses and is also a farrier so free trimming for me. We mainly have quarter horses and some crosses that we use up in the mountains for camping trips as well as working cattle. We have also brought 3 of my childhood horses out from Ontario one being a old Arab that I have had since I was three as well as my sister's Shetland cross (25 years old) that gave to my girls last summer. The pony lives with our flock of Shetland sheep I should try and post a picture cause it is the cutest, she is not much bigger then the sheep.

Board footer