AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-06-10 01:11:51

Journey's End

Meat bird milk experiment

I've decided to do an experiment with my frankenbirds to see if giving them milk daily will aid in their growth. I have a virtually unlimited goat milk supply here so I have to give my extra to the animals instead of selling it to those who want it (stupid gvernment and their pointless rules). I know my pigs do great with all the extra milk so I decided to see how well the meat birds do. I split the batch into two, one has 27 and one has 28 birds. I weighed them and averaged out the per chick weight. I will be giving them milk every evening for the next month. Every 5 days I will weigh and average them again. At the end of the trial, I will see who grew best. If the milk makes a difference, they'll get it more. If not, the pigs get it all. I can't wait to see the results.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#2 2016-06-10 03:35:04

GalaBoys
Banned

Re: Meat bird milk experiment

Sounds great! So one control group that gets no milk, and one that does get milk? I love a good experiment.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#3 2016-06-10 03:45:47

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

My pigs get a lot of goats milk as well.  Thought about giving some to the meat chicks but they grow so fast anyway figured it might be harmful.  Will be interesting to find out how they do.

My online clothing store.  www.bbandbubbles.com

#4 2016-06-10 05:00:08

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

What happened to soap making with your goat milk?

Are you going to give them the milk as liquid, or mix it with something, like a slop?

#5 2016-06-10 11:20:36

Journey's End

I'm still doing the soap making but haven't had the funds to buld the business as I'd like to yet so growth in that area is on hold for now. I'll be giving it in a regular red and white waterer. I have lots of them.

#6 2016-06-10 11:48:14

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

I like the experiment... will try an make sure see the end...
My thoughts, is because birds are lactose intolerant.. they will not gain weight well... on other hand goat milk is supposed to be better for those who can't tolerate cow milk.
A friend of mine was trying to hatch her chickens eggs, her first bunch the eggs were big but her hatch rate was way low.
same chickens, for a second setting, right after, she started giving them milk( regular cows milk) The eggs were a lot smaller, but coincidence the hatch rate went up a tiny bit)
My thoughts in my head was the chickens, being lactose intolerant produced smaller eggs because were defecating more, leading to a dehydration of sorts... The hatch rate going up? no guesses why. lol
haha! see I always playing guess why? all by myself.

please don't let me miss the conclusion of this plz

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#7 2016-06-10 16:12:26

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Are chickens lactose intolerant?  Gee, I've been giving my birds (baby chicks, finishing meaties) milk for years and have never noticed a problem.

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

#8 2016-06-10 17:54:18

GalaBoys
Banned

I am not sure about lactose intolerance, but too much calcium is not good for growing birds. Maybe okay for meat birds who only live 6-8 weeks, but I wouldn't give young breeding animals a lot of dairy.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#9 2016-06-10 18:16:02

Blaithin
Website

Out last meaties got spare cows milk. Most people I know prefer to give clabber over straight milk. My chickens just got some this morning from milk that had gone bad in the fridge. They love it.

Never did any record keeping to see if it effects anything though. Be interesting to see.

#10 2016-06-10 20:10:58

Journey's End

I'll keep everyone updated. For convienence sake we had one die last night (not on purpose) so we're starting at 27 in each of the two pens. Today at 2 weeks old the pen with no milk averages 9.9 ounces each right now and the pen with milk averages 9.8 ounces.

#11 2016-06-18 00:55:08

Journey's End

The experiment is a bust. Out of 27 in each pen I'm still at 27 non milk fed chicks, in 5 days I lost 4 milk fed chicks. Since the only variable s the milk, I have to conclude the milk is killing them. They've gained less than the non milk fed chicks as well.

#12 2016-06-18 01:15:34

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks for the info!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#13 2016-06-18 05:56:10

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Very interesting!  Does anyone have a link to info on lactose intolerance in chickens?  I agree the experiment should be stopped if chicks are dying, but we don't really know why.

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

#14 2016-06-18 10:39:52

Journey's End

The werd thing s that my older birds have never had an issue. Even older meat birds. But these little ones are dropping like flies. Oh well, I'm sure the pigs don't mind. More for them

#15 2016-06-18 15:04:10

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

TruNorth wrote:

Very interesting!  Does anyone have a link to info on lactose intolerance in chickens?  I agree the experiment should be stopped if chicks are dying, but we don't really know why.

just type in birds lactose intolerant,

Lactose intolerance won't kill but could give birds runny droppings, which could in turn cause a dehydration... is why if you have a pet bird that had antibiotics and some use yogurt, to help replenish the gut flora( a lactose free, probiotic is best) the bird will have loose droppings until you cease giving it probiotics that include lactose.

possible the birds got coccidiosis or some thing else while on milk, and it was just to much? just a theory questioning self.

As you seen above some feed chicks, chickens milk products and have no troubles, but they weren't doing observations either.

I know personally that lactose intolerance, can be less symptomatic if it is consumed with larger portion of other things with it, i.e.: cheese sprinkled on larger baked potato.
Just all thoughts and my opinions.

But birds do not have the enzymes to digest milk at all no mammary gland. hmmm
people have been feeding birds dairy for ever lol  my hubby would give his chickens dairy... but I won't

Last edited by crestedbird (2016-06-18 15:08:27)

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

Board footer