AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2009-09-30 14:26:03

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Coccodiosis -- Eimeria tenella

Dreadful thing eh?  I have been doing some studying on this chicken malade.  I have lost (2) two month old SLW chicks in the past 10 days.  The other two and 4 Rhode Island Reds of the same age are doing just fine.  All the other birds of older ages are OK too.  Appears that this affects younger chicks, and older as well, but the younger more susceptible.  I have asked at our local co-op and there is nothing that can be done once the area around the  ceca of the chick has been damaged alot.  Hope I got this right.  She said that there was a medication for coccodiosis, but is no longer on the market.   Each chick displayed the typical sign of the type of coccodiosis thing, Eimeria tenella, not feeling great, some bloody mucous in feces and eventually just died.  The last chick that died seemed healthy right up until death, eating, running around, it was kind of a shock to see it, other than it was not growing as quickly as the other nestmates.  Wish I knew more what to do, but that will come with time and more studying.

Is there something I have missed here?  Is this always a doomed bird when the signs of this malade are detected?  We live a pretty moist climate and I get the impression that this is more common in the summer  months than the colder winter months, also moister climates the birds are more susceptible, comments would be greatly appreciated.  Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#2 2009-09-30 15:16:28

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Coccodiosis -- Eimeria tenella

For Coccodiosis there is some stuff called Soduim Sulfamethazine  Solution 25%.  On the label it says for Poultry *to control outbreaks of Caecal Coccidiosis, infectious Coryza and secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases like CRD caused by organisms susceptible to sulfa drugs.  Also to treat Acute fowl Cholera and Antipestifer Disease in duck.  Ths stuff is also for cattle, calves, sheep and swine for bacterial infections.

It gives instructions on the label how to give to poulty, you put it in their water for 2 days, stop for 4, treat for 1 day stop for another 4 then 1 more day.

I don't know if this will help you or not but it might worth a try.  Unfortunately it comes in a 4l jug.

This summer i had 6 Polish that started to die, no signs of blood in their stools and just my new Polish (from US) were dieing.  I was willing to try anything so i wouldn't lose them all, I lost 4 out of 6 but at least i still ended up with a pair.

Hope this helps :praying:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#3 2009-09-30 15:23:51

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

It is best to use medicated food and keep the environment as clean as possible. DE is also supposed to be good as a preventative in calves, but I am not sure about poultry.  Usually by the time the symptoms show up, the protozoa has done much damage to the lining of the intestine and dehydration is significant.  Charcoal tablets are also used in calves, but I am not sure if a crushed up charcoal tablet would be effective for chickens?  Ask your vet;  there are medications for coccidiosis in bird. (amprol?)

Last edited by lovemybirds (2009-09-30 15:31:46)

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#4 2009-09-30 16:19:41

newchickontheblock
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

My vet prefers to use a sulfa drug which will also get some other bugs at the same time just in case you are fighting more than just cocci. This powder is commonly available. Yogurt with live culture bacteria will help a bit. If you can't find the powder let me know I will put some on the bus and send it to you.

Looking forward to 3 days of chicken chat November 23--25 Urban Farm Show !

#5 2009-09-30 17:11:41

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

The stuff i have is a liquid

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#6 2009-09-30 17:43:51

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Sulmet or Amprol (Amprolium) are treatments for coccidiosis we have used.  We were told to treat ALL our birds and keep them in so they could only get water that was medicated.  We could only get Amprolium from our vet no sulmet.  I now have sulmet (ordered form the US lots of poultry and pet and rabbits sites have it, I got mine from Cutlers Supply on Michigan) on the advice of a poultry friend who has used it and found it very effective.  It is a much shorter course, and I think it may be more effective as it has cleared up a chronic diarrhea in two of my hens, that were on amprolium earlier in the summer with no change then.  Both meds are liquid concentrates you add to the water.

I found loss-wise, if a bird is really lethargic we have lost them, if they are doing the bloody poos and are skinny but acting fairly normally, those have survived with the weeks of treatment with the amprolium, though I will be using sulmet from now on.

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#7 2009-10-20 13:57:59

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Skeffling Lavender Farm wrote:

Sulmet or Amprol (Amprolium) are treatments for coccidiosis we have used.  We were told to treat ALL our birds and keep them in so they could only get water that was medicated.  We could only get Amprolium from our vet no sulmet.  I now have sulmet (ordered form the US lots of poultry and pet and rabbits sites have it, I got mine from Cutlers Supply on Michigan) on the advice of a poultry friend who has used it and found it very effective.  It is a much shorter course, and I think it may be more effective as it has cleared up a chronic diarrhea in two of my hens, that were on amprolium earlier in the summer with no change then.  Both meds are liquid concentrates you add to the water.

I found loss-wise, if a bird is really lethargic we have lost them, if they are doing the bloody poos and are skinny but acting fairly normally, those have survived with the weeks of treatment with the amprolium, though I will be using sulmet from now on.

I would say that there is extremely low levels of an issue with cocci here.  I only see now and then a teeny tiny bit of muscousy blood in poop, very infrequently.  Wish I knew more about this, my studying has not really helped me alot.   This is not to say that it may worsen, no clue, but I don't feel the panic that I felt before.  I will have the drug on hand for treatment.  If anyone has any advice if I should still treat for cocci, I would appreciate the advice....pleeeeeze.

We have a Pharmasave pharmacy in Cloverdale, which is about 1/2 hour from my place, because of the beautiful new bridge that crosses the Fraser River, it has cut the journey down to parts over the river by over 1/2 hour, it is wonderful, oops, strayed a little of topic.  This pharmacy deals with livestock products as well.

I went to that pharmacy yesterday, after speaking to a large animal vet, and he said that Amprolium is a good choice for cocci, if sulphamethazine cannot be found.  I couldn't find any, as the place where I get many of my supplies from had run out.  When I got to the pharmasave pharmacy, the pharmacist showed me both products -- Amprol and Sulphamethazine.  Both were in 250 ml bottles, they must have put them into smaller bottles -- the vet said that it only came in a 4 ltr jug, yes, that would be far too much, would last probably 10 lifetimes, smiling.  I read both instructions.  It appears the Sulphamethazine is a much shorter duration, as said in the prior post, time on and off, which sounds like it is less than a week.  The Amprol is used for 5 days straight at one percentage of dilution and then for a continuance of almost 2 weeks at a lesser percentage dose.  That seems like an awful long time to fiddle with meds.  For some reason, I chose the Amprol.  After I had chosen it, the pharmacist said it was a better drug.  Guess he didn't want to say anything until after I had made a choice.  But now, I am wondering if I made a mistake and have taken the long road.  Sounds like the sulpha drug takes less time and now I am rethinking to get some sulpha drug as well, rather confused here.  Oh well.  Thoughts on this post would be great.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#8 2009-10-20 14:09:15

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Forgot to ask.  Can Amprol and Sulfamethazine be used on laying birds?  Meaning, any withdrawal time for eating eggs?

I ask because the Amprol I got yesterday does not specify, and I know many antibiotics say to not use on laying birds.  I don't have the sulmet to read if it is OK or not.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

#9 2009-10-20 14:39:02

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Cynthia, I would say for Amprol yes withdraw.  When I got my Amprol from the vet and she looked it up in the compendium of drugs (or whatever)  and it said no.  We figured we didn't want to eat any eggs while they were medicated like that and looked it up online on the Amprol website just to double-check (and she was very new!) and in the US there is a withdrawal period of a week after the 2 week course, and even the two week can be extended to three (to be sure!) so we had no edible eggs for a month this summer.  The rules must be different form US to Canada as it was the same drug Amprolium.  It said on our gallon jug there's withrawel for some many days on calf meat.   That's what made me ask the vet in the first place.  Hope that helps.

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#10 2009-10-20 23:03:48

Schipperkesuue
A.C.E. Addicted

My puppies always get this from licking my chicken boots.  Arcticsun suggested I try Scour Suspension and it works like a hot darn, but I don't know if it would work on chickens.

Sue

Foxhill Farms:  Home of Jet Kennels outstanding registered Schipperkes as well as Rare American Blue and White Rabbits, a variety of chickens, an ever increasing number of hungry turkeys, 3 cats, 2 Keeshonden an Australian Cattle Dog and a very patient and tolerant husband/bunny warmer!

#11 2010-04-26 16:37:29

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Just a little bit of an old post thought I would bump up here.  I see that I had questions, smiling.  Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

#12 2010-05-20 22:55:00

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

cynthia. I picked up some sulphamethazine today from Buckerfields. It was 8.99 for the bottle. was liquid form.
just trying to figure out the ratio to water to make a small amount.

I am hoping it can be used as a preventitive too, that if the bird doesn't have cocci, that this product won't harm it.

#13 2010-05-24 16:57:55

tamatik
A.C.E. Addicted

this morning When i went to feed and water there were great gads of blood/poo in the pen. I started checking bums. all clean..so then a I waited and watched..eventually one dropped a load of blood/poo..chekt her over ..she seems fine and clean and alert..I separated her and put clean shavings in the pen..awhile later fresh blood/poo in the big coop... they are all on sulpha drug now.. every bird in the joint..none are sluggish or lethargic.
waiting and watching

gord

#14 2010-06-05 15:56:39

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Comprehensive article on cocci-, best I have found

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html

and an excellent video on the nature of the disease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaL2ZO-iWXk

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#15 2010-06-06 14:18:31

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

tamatik wrote:

this morning When i went to feed and water there were great gads of blood/poo in the pen. I started checking bums. all clean..so then a I waited and watched..eventually one dropped a load of blood/poo..chekt her over ..she seems fine and clean and alert..I separated her and put clean shavings in the pen..awhile later fresh blood/poo in the big coop... they are all on sulpha drug now.. every bird in the joint..none are sluggish or lethargic.
waiting and watching

gord

Gord how are you making out?  LynneP, thank you for that link, that is very, very good.

I sometimes think that the chicken farmer may mistake the "OK" intestinal lining shedding of the chickens, which is 100% normal for bloody poop, which indicates cocci.  I know I did, until I found this site http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 , which shows all the very normal (which there are many) chicken poops and the total bad or abnormal poops, which indidate illness/worms, etc. (which also is many).

This link I have given is not to introduce anyone to another forum (and this was talked about the first time that I posted this link to this chicken poo site), but to relieve the minds of many, who think that the "normal" chicken poopies are not "normal".

Get a gander at this site that I have linked this post to.  Look closely at all the types of weird and wonderful, smiling, chicken poopie things.  The one that shows the red looking poop (before the cocci one) is just the intestinal shedding (normal) (am I repeating myself, cool....repetition causes the human mind to remember, smiling), the captions indicate which poop is which.

Now when you get down to the very red looking chicken poop, that is the blood red issues associated with coccidiosis.  You will see the difference between intestinal shedding and coccidiosis blood poo.

This site about chicken poop has helped me such an incredible amount to understand how chicken poos can look so awful, in so many forms, yet be just so unawful.  I hope that these pictures on this site help us all out, to better understand the poop of our beloved chicken fowl.  Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Board footer