AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2010-06-07 00:01:57

Dan Smith
Website

Re: Coccodiosis -- Eimeria tenella

Thanks Lynne and Cindy. Good information. Always a little more to help us understand a bit better. Good links.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#17 2010-06-11 04:34:07

ajs blueberry
Growing Member

I am in the middle of an outbreak of cocci now with some turkey poults. They live outside with their mother and the cold, wet weather is causing problems.

I would like to caution people not to only look for bloody poop. We have no signs of blood but some foamy looking poop. Different strains of cocci can cause different symptoms. I got this explanation from the vet when I questioned the diagnosis.:blushing:

I only noticed a problem because the cocci has weakened them and some have developed a secondary infection. It was the rattling breathing and sneezing that took me to the vet. He looked at some poop under the microscope and the cocci were easy to see.

They are being treated with quinoxine in the water and I'm switching to medicated feed until the weather warms up and gets drier.

#18 2010-06-28 20:52:56

leahthor
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Holy poop! Ok, that guide is really good to have. Some of those pictures I would have thought of as abnormal for sure.

#19 2011-06-03 17:54:29

silkielover

Does anyone know in the Calgary area where I could get any drugs to treat cocci? Do I have to go to a vet and if I do, then I have to take the bird with me?

#20 2011-06-03 19:03:30

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

If you tell them it is coccidiosis most reasonable farm vets do not need to see the birds. A :moneythrow: city vet may insist.  I`d call around til you find one that you don`t have to.

I put some info on my website for what to do, based on our experiences.  It`s that time of year especially if wet.
http://chickenfinds.weebly.com/coccidio … ckens.html

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#21 2011-06-25 04:46:24

Farmerran
Growing Member

Amprol is the drug of choice.  It is easiest on the birds body and can be used in most species. Just to clarify the type of cocci in poultry is Emiria and the type in dogs is Isopora.  They are not passed from each other.  Also of intrest is that only cocci of the lower GI tract will pass blood. If it affects the upper GI tract, fairly common, it will not pass frank blood.

Raise a mix of laying hens, a few turkeys, a lot of Muscovy ducks, and Geese

#22 2011-06-25 13:47:52

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Farmerran wrote:

Also of intrest is that only cocci of the lower GI tract will pass blood. If it affects the upper GI tract, fairly common, it will not pass frank blood.

Before I post this, I should go and look at the intestinal tract of the chicken, but just a little lazy.  Is this the ceca that is in the lower GI tract?  I am wondering if this is the area (ceca) that will pass blood?  Curiosity never got this cat, smiling.  Have a beautiful and awesome day, happiness, health, love, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

Board footer