AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-08-29 03:43:23

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

Hog age question

So my female is just about 7 months. We want to get her a mate. Would it be best to get her a younger male or an older one. We don't want to breed her yet, want spring piglets. So far our choices are a 3 1/2 month old and a year old (experienced). She is currently in with a castrated male until end of October.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 2016-08-29 03:50:17

tung koon

Re: Hog age question

if housing together get older
some times sows put fear of gord in younger boars
lol

belgian sheepdog,icelandic horse,white galloway dairy cross, harlequin ducks,tung koon paak pigeons
chanteclers under construction

#3 2016-08-31 01:25:46

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

Myself I'd go with the year old boar , size can be a huge factor , but  seven months and year old should be no issue , plus if the boar has produced any litters you have a better idea on quality etc .............my thoughts

#4 2016-08-31 14:30:46

snowtoys
Growing Member
Website

I would go with the year old for spring piglets . The boars outgrow the sows in a couple years but a few months difference in age won't matter now. He has proven himself so that worry should be gone. You just have to catch the gilt at the right time for breeding.

Board footer