AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-09-10 23:59:16

niglefritz

Plants poisonous to livestock

I was looking for what plants I should remove from the garden before putting pigs into it. It is a hard thing to find information on.

I found this so far, but as much as it is from a University source, I do wonder about some of the things listed. I wonder if it is a matter of quantity for some?

http://poisonousplants.ansci.cornell.ed … cies=swine

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2016-09-11 00:13:49

yardbirds
Administrator

Re: Plants poisonous to livestock

Thanks....made this a sticky as well.  :thumbsup:

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#3 2016-09-11 04:21:30

GalaBoys
Banned

I have an extensive list in the files section of the Science-based poultry and livestock keeping facebook group.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#4 2016-09-11 11:12:54

Journey's End

Broccoli and turnips are pisonous? My livestock love them.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#5 2016-09-11 11:31:26

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

GalaBoys wrote:

I have an extensive list in the files section of the Science-based poultry and livestock keeping facebook group.

We'll then you should share it here.  It does no good to just mention it.  Is it not information that us mere ACE members should know?  Is it something for only the "elite" to know?  We have many members that don't have Facebook or that don't join groups like that

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#6 2016-09-11 13:00:52

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

niglefritz wrote:

I was looking for what plants I should remove from the garden before putting pigs into it. It is a hard thing to find information on.

I found this so far, but as much as it is from a University source, I do wonder about some of the things listed. I wonder if it is a matter of quantity for some?

http://poisonousplants.ansci.cornell.ed … cies=swine

I would agree with you there must be some that it is amount vs animal weight to.

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#7 2016-09-11 13:31:24

GalaBoys
Banned

Martin Grove Farm wrote:

GalaBoys wrote:

We'll then you should share it here.  It does no good to just mention it.  Is it not information that us mere ACE members should know?  Is it something for only the "elite" to know?  We have many members that don't have Facebook or that don't join groups like that

It is difficult to share from my phone. Have to wait until I am in the office. And it's a weekend. No office time for me! :thumbsup:

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#8 2016-09-11 14:31:35

niglefritz

See, our cows have always kept (the best...grrr) chokecherry bushes trimmed. Now all the berries are at the top where I can see them but not reach them.

I am still not sure what I should remove for pigs. I read that it is actually minimal. So far, I removed tomatoes and some potato plants.  I will also remove flowers as there are few that are usually good as a whole. I am somewhat concerned about certain weeds that might not be good (unsure if some types are okay) and really don't want to find all that potato seed that dropped because it was lots for the Russian Blues, but will try to find it all if I can.

I have asked two online sources who till with pigs spring & fall. I will post here if they answer.

GalaBoys, posting that list here would be awesome. :thumbsup: I don't have time (nor do I want to) to do Facebook. Thanks!

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#9 2016-09-11 17:10:02

niglefritz

From Walter Jeffries of Sugar Mountain Farm who raises many pigs:
"Our pigs eat the potato and tomato plants. It is not a huge proportion of their diet so this appears to be fine."

#10 2018-04-14 16:12:17

jkinnear
New Here
Website

Great post!

Westerdale Poultry and Farm Products   www.westerdaleclydes.com BBS Ameraucana, BBS Icbar, BLRW Wyandotte, Olives, Saffires, Black Copper Marans, Langshan, Chocolate Orpington, Lavender Cuckoo Orpington

Board footer