AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-09-13 01:23:17

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

Feed and water containers

What does everyone feed their pigs in/with container wise? Waterers? Where do I buy these things.

We bought temporary feed and water bowls for our 2 weaner pigs. Now need permanent system for permanent pigs:hide: The bowls we have do not work well as the pigs fight at each bowl and turn them over wasting food and dumping out the water.

What do you do in winter?

#2 2016-09-13 02:10:09

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Feed and water containers

So far I've just used 2x10 material and mad a " V " shaped trough , works fairly well , they do toss it around a bit , but I feed in the small barn so it's contained and easily moved when feeding time comes , had thought of securing it to a fence ( wall ) but pigs get rather feisty at feeding time . Water is just a 45 gallon plastic drum elevated with a water nipple , summer only , winter it's hauling ,but I could maybe use a water heater ?so far it's been okay .........I also allow the feed to ferment 24 hours , in the winter it's in the heated garage so it's like hot slop on a cold day

Last edited by prairie dog (2016-09-13 02:12:34)

#3 2016-09-13 02:10:30

Blaithin
Website

We always used those rubber tubs. They don't crack so they work great. Still got spilled sometimes but they're tough and lasted. We also had what, to the best of my knowledge, looked like a propane bottle cut in half, but one of the long ones. Was harder for them to just tip that over and it also never cracked or broke. Wasn't quite as handy to move around though!

#4 2016-09-13 03:08:52

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

We are currently using a small rubber bowl for water....their favourite toy!! And two hard plastic same size bowls for feed. Even though there are 2 bowls and 2 pigs they still fight over the bowls. One tries to tip it over to get the other away. today they stepped on it just right the food went flying and landed all over me and dripped into my boots!! We feed wet feed. Really need a new system, especially for winter and water.

#5 2016-09-13 05:23:19

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

We are using a big repurposed metal trough that is heavy enough to stay put.  For summer we have a water nipple connected to the garden hose with copper water pipes to house the nipple.  In winter we use metal stock troughs with 1500 w heaters submerged.  The biggest problem is the newer tanks use plastic fittings that break easily.  Unfortunately our old tank with metal fittings rusted through the bottom and is now used for brooding chicks.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#6 2016-09-13 10:19:03

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

We use a rubber V shaped trough.  It is very stiff rubber like what a transport truck mud flap would be made from.  Metal frame.  It's heavy and it's secured to the wall of their structure.  We also have rubber bowls for their slop but, it can be difficult to find them as they treat them like toys.  We have considered making a long, wooden v shaped trough that is low to the ground.  As for water, we have water nipples that hook up to a hose.  We have that secured as well.  Pigs seem to think everything in their area is a toy and are constantly trying to find ways to take things apart.   Our pigs are pastured and go to freezer camp before winter arrives.  We start with new weaners each spring.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

Board footer