AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » What type of coop heater do you use?

#1 2016-09-25 19:37:00

TeriR
New Here

What type of coop heater do you use?

So....we have an insulated coop.  Yes, with ventilation.  We're Northern Alberta, though, and it can get to -40. I know I DON'T want to just use a heatlamp because of the fire risk.   I want to rig up a thermostat and have some sort of heater to come on at 4 degrees....  What do you use (and links, please, because I'm a bit internet impaired.  LOL)?  Canadian sourced, that one can buy online would be a bonus but I'm mostly looking at what everyone else is doing.  I probably wouldn't even worry about it but I also have Silkies..and they're a bit wimpy.  Any help or advice is appreciated.

#2 2016-09-25 20:05:20

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: What type of coop heater do you use?

I've always had good luck using oil filled radiator heaters that I got at home depot. I tried little fan heaters but I found in the chicken houses the fans soon clog up with dust . These other heaters have thermostats on them.

#3 2016-09-25 20:16:13

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

Oil filled radiant heater.

I don't heat at all, but I only have Chanteclers.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#4 2016-09-25 20:21:58

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I will triple the oil filled radiant heater recommendation.  Just make sure they can't perch on it.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2016-09-25 20:37:54

susanr

We use one infrared heater in each of our two coops.  Works well to keep the chickens from freezing.  Do have to dust it off a couple of times during the winter as dust settles on top.  Not sure if this link will work but, here is the link anyway:  http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index … red+heater

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#6 2016-09-25 21:52:23

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

I use the Home Depot flat panels but I'm only in Ontario!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#7 2016-09-26 03:42:25

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

"cozy legs" flat panel in brackets on the wall, plugged into a thermocube.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#8 2016-09-26 09:31:36

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Val 6 heater.  Runs with diesel or kerosene.  We have it hooked up to a thermostat and heat just enough that the autowaters don't freeze. 

http://www.deonsupply.com/products/kbe5l2-step/

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#9 2016-09-26 21:49:11

Quiltedchicken
Growing Member

I've used an econo-heat panel with a thermo cube.  Got the panel from Home Hardware and I think I got the thermo cube through Amazon.  No worries about burns and the thermo cube is great cuts in at 32 F and out at 40F.  But if you use fount type waterers in heated dog bowl make sure your waterer is right in front of the heater for those -40 nights or the upper water will freeze solid even in my little insulated 6x6 coop.

1 German shepherd/whippet cross, 1 Border Collie/ Newfie cross, 1 Torbie, 1 "Talking" cat, Amercaunas, lohmans, cochins and euskal oilas

#10 2016-09-27 01:04:41

pheasantman

I kind of overdid my heating system but I figured if I'm building a new barn I am going to go all out so I put in a energy efficient boiler and use floor heat. I have no problem with moisture and condensation but my biggest problem "if I can call it a problem" is the dust and that is why I went to floor heat. If the power and heat goes out I have a few days before the concrete slab floor does cool off. Floor plumbing if not done right can be a problem but so far it is OK. I put the system in 2005. The energy efficient boiler is great as I virtually did not see much of an increase in my gas consumption. Its not a cheap system but I would do it again if I had to. I am not to far from you so I know what the temperature can get to. Come and see my system if you want. One thing about my system is that I incubate and brood in the same barn and I can and have incubated and raised chicks all year round.

Last edited by pheasantman (2016-09-27 01:07:04)

• Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » What type of coop heater do you use?

Board footer