AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-02-06 02:11:02

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

Thoughts / Opinions

Have been playing with this in my mind for a while ....something I want to do by the front garden , nestled into the trees , a small path maybe ? maybe a stone front ? I have a lot of the material to do this , not sure which avenue I should take though ....relaxation being the key word so one or the other would certainly serve the purpose .............what ya think? which way would you go ??

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/09151960/1e859c033905bcc55dbff52f6d644056_zpsuedkqrn3.jpg

Maybe a stone front , I have glass to make oval windows , maybe a oval shaped door ? the roof I'd love to do cedar shake , but metal is cheaper

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/09151960/Saunas_zpshfrmzrvk.jpg

A sauna , wood heat of course , but a place to go and sweat it out , meditate , rejuvenate ??

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/09151960/GuestCottages_zpsyvcatmzs.jpg

Or a quiet get away to dream the days worries away , even spend a night ? could be multi purpose , storage for garden tools ?

So which would you choose ? ..........

#2 2017-02-06 02:38:48

susanr

Re: Thoughts / Opinions

I love the sauna idea!  Although, a place to get away & just read/relax is also very appealing.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2017-02-06 02:45:23

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

A whole village of them!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#4 2017-02-06 03:19:44

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have an old aluminium trailer with a cracked frame.  I plan to turn it into a mobile guest bedroom/sitting room this summer for people who would like to stay but are allergic to cats.   I say, make it a guest room!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#5 2017-02-06 05:20:37

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

heda gobbler wrote:

A whole village of them!

Did think of one for each purpose ....but ?

Sue .......never have guests except occasionally my brother from Alberta and for that we have spare bedrooms ....no cats ....

I am torn between both options , thought of maybe having a dual purpose but ?? Different finish on the inside for both so

Last edited by prairie dog (2017-02-06 05:21:09)

#6 2017-02-06 07:47:15

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

I like the last one, but also the sauna idea.   That would be a hard choice.   What gave you the sauna idea?  A need to relax?

If so, then go with that, but you can't be in there too long.  So maybe the last one.

Don't make it to be used by anyone but "you".      Outside guests can bring bad energy in.   I would definitely "try" and do a

shake roof.  Much cuter.   The whole thing is cute, but the shake roof would be more authentic looking.  :wine"

#7 2017-02-06 07:51:16

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Whatever you do, do the curved roof. I want to see how you manage that. Pictures please. Detailed framing diagrams.

#8 2017-02-06 11:34:15

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I love the curved roof.  I love both the sauna and an area to relax.  Can you do both?  Is that something you are willing to take on?

We have seen the small pre-manufacturerd saunas and have put some serious thought into getting one.  Sauna and a hot tub.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#9 2017-02-06 12:52:27

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

The rafters would be done as laminated due to the span , i could maybe find trees with the right curve and just cut that on the mill ? but I would Laminate , especially the long side ....the other side I could maybe use 2x12's and cut the curve out of that ? will see .....right now it's a thought , the floor being my main concern as it will be nestled in the "" bush"" I need to insulate it ....probably 2x6 with plywood as the base for the interior ....would become real wood later as I go over it , but the bottom needs sheet metal to seal it off from rodents ....will be insulated .We did my nephews with aluminum that he got in a roll form from a friend who does gutters .....I have a roll of galvanized sheet to cover it with if I do go ahead with it .....turning the floor over or covering the bottom first has to be done right due to weight factors etc . I would do a heavy timber base on which the shed would stand on .

I might just go with the relaxing factor as a sitting , snoozing area , kinda like the idea of that ........but saunas are so good for you as well ..........need to get more hydro poles with that western cedar , or pine ?? decisions decisions  :confused::coffeebusy:

#10 2017-02-06 13:26:58

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I like the first and last.  Sauna would be nice but I probably wouldn't use it much.  I don't think I'd use the beds much either. 

What I would like is a summer/winter retreat with comfortable chairs to sit and read in.  Perhaps a wood stove so it could be used in the winter.  Large screens that could be uncovered for summer use.  Still looking for a design I like.

Black Ameraucana

#11 2017-02-06 14:08:36

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Love it! A tiny home, a private get away.

#12 2017-02-06 14:54:40

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

I'm more of the tiny nook for a get away and recharge. I have tried sauna and found it's not for me. Either way, it's a neat looking little shack.

Taking things a day at a time.

#13 2017-02-06 16:04:41

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I'd love to do something like this;

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/diy-hobbit-house-backyard-ashley-yeates-11.jpg

Made big enough for humans, of course.

Might even take up smoking, just so I could sit beside it blowing smoke rings from a big long pipe.

Black Ameraucana

#14 2017-02-06 17:45:48

niglefritz

I am enjoying this thread. Fowler, I didn't realize that that getaway was miniature until you said build it for humans and I noticed the plants. Hahaha  Must be sleep deprivation. :coffeebusy:

I love these tiny getaways, PD! What eye catching things they would be. I vote for a village as well. Odd numbers always are better. So...getaway, sauna & ?

Would you think about renting some out or selling some for personal retreats/playhouses? I bet it could be very popular. You could also put it on wheels and take it with you camping...there should be no taxes or permits needed, I would think with it not being permanent structure.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#15 2017-02-06 17:51:44

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I often thought it would be nice to have a potting shed with a porch and a rocker down by the garden.  But I'd probably end up putting chickens in it. :veryfunny:

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

Board footer